HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2006, 03:35 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Discussion
First "pattern plane" a few questions <Newbie>

Guys I have just started flying what I do believe is my First Pattern plane. Its a modified Formosa II and I have a few questions.

40 ozs 450W pitch speed in the area of 50MPH wing loading around 16.7ozs.

What exactly makes a pattern plane just that, a pattern plane? I can see the LONG fuse leading to a tail with a lot of control surface. Also the wing is completely flat, no dihedral.

Some of my planes have rudder, some don't. The Formosa for example seems to really benefit from some rudder to turn. I'm not talking about just making a nice smooth turn. This model likes to porpoise up or down if I try to just use aileron/elevator to turn. Yes my thumb <left> is learning new tricks so to speak.

Guess I'm trying to figure out exactly how this plane SHOULD fly vs how it currently is. Nothing worse then trimming an airplane that should "fly like that".

Thanks much guys!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:16 PM
Glow Free Since Aug, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,258 Posts
Main thing is that on a pattern plane the design tries to minimize coupling. Basically that translates to the idea that control of each axis is completely independant from the others. So roll control ONLY controls roll, pitch control ONLY controls pitch, and yaw control ONLY controls yaw.

A good article to read is the famous Peter Goldsmith articles on trimming here:
http://www.mini-iac.com/Portals/57ad...20trimming.pdf

Even if you don't go through the whole process with your Formosa, it'd be a good read to at least get a picture in your mind what the concerns are when setting up an aircraft for precise aerobatic flight.

Tom
tommy321 is offline Find More Posts by tommy321