HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:33 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Cool
Easystar set up for FPV / Video Groundstation

I've used the Easystar platform before with a cheap CVS camcorder to record videos, and had great success. You can see some of the videos I made last fall
HERE.
I knew if I ever graduated to FPV with a downlink it was going to be the airframe I started with. Seeing VRFlyer's work just re-enforced to me what a good platform it really is.
I was fortunate enough to get in on a great deal on some 640x480 goggles with an integrated headtracker that sends your head movements to the pan/tilt servos, and finally got everything else I needed rounded up. I went with a set-up from Black Widow, and I'm really happy with the quality of the components.
My new Easystar is powered by an AXI 2208/26 with a 7x5 APC prop trimmed down to 6", and a 3S2000 lipo. The camera/TX has a dedicated 2S800 lipo. Knowing I would have alot of weight up front, I chose to semi-permanently install the speed control and receiver in the aft compartments. This also maximized the distance between the video and radio gear, and left me with plenty of space for the pan/tilt servos and the batteries.
I saved about 90 grams so far over the last Easystar by using a lighter lipo and ditching the full size Futaba RX for a tiny new Berg 7 channel model. Hopefully the total weight gain will be minimal.
If all goes well, I hope to do the maiden flight this weekend!

rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Last edited by rob10000; Aug 25, 2006 at 03:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:29 PM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
nice and clean set up. I'll be looking for your vid this weekend.....hopefully mother nature takes care of ya. So whats the scoop on the glasses?
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Aug 25, 2006, 01:56 AM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
What goggles and headtracker did you get? That's exactly what I'm looking for.

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:33 AM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Quote:
What goggles and headtracker did you get? That's exactly what I'm looking for.
MX, you can read about the genesis of the device HERE. The development really gets cooking around page 3...

Kilrah is the one who designed and built the system. He now sells the tracker individualy, or integrated into the googles

Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:22 AM
Permanently Banned
Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2004
1,188 Posts
i found that the best kinda outrunner to use is the tower pro on a 7*5 prop and its balistic
kogibankole is offline Find More Posts by kogibankole
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:23 AM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
I just finished taking some more pictures of my set-up, and here's a video of the headtracker in operation.

click here for demo

Here's my ground station. I used a 5.6 LCD that was originally intended for a Sony Playstation as a secondary display. Also inside is the Black Widow RX, a 1 to 4 video splitter, and the patch antenna mounted to the lid. I wired the panel with individual switches to control everything, and it has the ability to power the video goggles as well. I plan on using an Aiptek MPVR to record the downlinked video.

Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:34 AM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
Wow Rob that's just too cool!! Tell me how much do you have invested in your system not counting the EZ Star? After seeing your EZ with the CVS Cam, I put one on my EZ and had a lot of fun with it but as you know the quality is not the best. I look forward to seeing the videos you'll be making they should really be interesting. You will have the ability to fly like a bird, looking around as you fly it will be a very unique experience!!

Gary
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:35 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Wow...$420 for the head tracker...Man thats a bit pricey. how much did you end up paying for the set of the head tracker and video glasses?
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:52 PM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
The head tracker requires a particular model of transmitter and buddy box input, which I don't have. Are there other solutions for getting external inputs into a transmitter's output? I've got a spare 3-ch tx which I want to use with a separate rx.

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Aug 25, 2006, 02:52 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
I had to spend about $1K to add live video with the display and the headtracker to my bag of tricks. This includes the complete RX/TX/Camera system from BW. The googles I have are exactly the same as THESE

I had the opportunity to get mine with the integrated sensor from Kilrah for the same price.
You can see the RC-Tech website HERE
Without a doubt this was the most expensive component of the system, but it's also that magic piece of the puzzle that makes it all come together.
MX, I don't know what your options would be in that case. You would have to see if you could get at the PPM stream and send the headtracker output to it.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:51 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Is there an english version of that site?
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Aug 25, 2006, 05:33 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,199 Posts
I am looking forward to a video of your FPV flight using the head tracker, as I worry that you might have trouble with orientation if your vision won't actually directly show the direction you are flying. Do you use a ground spotter as well?
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:12 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonystott
I am looking forward to a video of your FPV flight using the head tracker, as I worry that you might have trouble with orientation if your vision won't actually directly show the direction you are flying. Do you use a ground spotter as well?
I use the Gyrocontrol for two month now, and see no problem. The movement of the cam follow the movement of my head without any delay.
You can see video of it here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9215&q=bromont
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Aug 26, 2006, 01:32 AM
I AP'd myself again......
Yawn....Iowa
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
VRflyer,

one of the coolest things to see. thanks for sharing!

(and thanks for translating to english!) very neat setup

Dave
aviatordave is offline Find More Posts by aviatordave
Old Aug 26, 2006, 07:59 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviatordave
VRflyer,

one of the coolest things to see. thanks for sharing!

(and thanks for translating to english!) very neat setup

Dave
Thanks, I will advise you when I will made others videos
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer