SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 17, 2001, 04:09 PM
Lancaster, PA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
97 Posts
How do you get out of the seven cell trap?

I want to get into small park or micro flyers but i've spent to much money on my three "r/c car battery planes." I have the remains of an Electra, a rebuilt Amptique, and a partially rebuilt Electricub. I find I am spending more and more money on these planes each time I rebuild them after a crash. The only one that flew very well was the Electricub and now I have to do major repairs on that. I have a Futaba Attack 4, 3 standard servos, a Master Airscrew motor/GB combo, a Pegasus 35 ESC, two 7x1500mah battery packs, a $40 1200-2000mah seven cell peak charger, and a whole lot of glue, covering, and scrap balsa.
I'm only 16 so my income is limited($300 a year toward modeling). How do I get my money "back out" of all this stuff.

Jesse
jyoder111 is offline Find More Posts by jyoder111
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2001, 04:21 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,491 Posts
I don't think you'll ever get your investment back. I doubt if there is a market for 'used' models such as yours.

You might bundle all the good parts together and try to sell them here on the E-zone. But you'll only recover a small part of the cost.

How about a 'garage sale' or place an ad in the local newspaper. The ads sometimes cost more than you get for the parts.

I think this is one of those lessons we have all learned in life.
Larry Dudeck is online now Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old May 17, 2001, 04:26 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Fix them up as well as you can (including a nice covering patch-up job), include all the parts (but keep that pegasus 35 controller) and put it up on E-bay. You are likely to get a better deal that way, plus make them pay for shipping. Its a much better way to go I think, plus you can dump it all at once and get a chuck of $$$ to put towards a new kit.

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old May 17, 2001, 04:40 PM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
I agree with the Ebay. But it may be a pain to try to ship a plane to someone. Check your shipping costs, first!

Shawn
eflightpower.com
sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old May 17, 2001, 05:22 PM
Madison, WI
Joined Mar 2001
10 Posts
Oh, the memories! I was in your situation about 6 or 7 years ago. You can have more fun with less $ by going with the smaller planes, BUT you can't avoid spending a bit up front.
Big Expense #1: Hitec Focus 3SS or Focus 4 radio w/ micro flight pack ($120)
Big Expense #2: Small-pack peak charger (varies from $30 to $150+, depending on how much you want to know about, and control, the charging process)
Once you have these 2 things, you can put together planes for fairly cheap. A Lite Stick is around $27 w/motor, and it can be powered by a $7 Rayovac 9V NiMH battery and a $25 5-amp ESC. Most repairs take less than 5 minutes and only require a little glue or tape. If the lite stick doesn't trip your trigger, a $15 Cox Viper free-flight (looks like a P-51) from Wal-Mart is easily converted to R/C, using the same guts as a lite stick. And if you're a decent builder (which it sounds like you are), it's fun to try your hand at building an original design. Park flyers require very little material, and as such don't cost alot to build.
As far as getting your money back out of the stuff you have, unfortunately, I have to agree with the previous posts - you won't be able to even get close to what it all cost you. I agree with Slope Nut about putting it on eBay.
I used to have plenty of time to build planes, but no money to buy them. Now I have plenty of money, but no time! Oh well - only 45 years until retirement!
NX13688 is offline Find More Posts by NX13688
Old May 17, 2001, 09:15 PM
joe
greenbay,wi,usa
Joined Apr 2000
412 Posts
you could build an airplain that uses 14 cells
sure it will take you twice as long to charge it but you are young
spend your money on a good motor
nothing is beter than a good motor and you can get a charger later
or if you like anouther one just like you have and charge both packs at once cheap

My two cents
Crazy Joe
joe is offline Find More Posts by joe
Old May 18, 2001, 12:07 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
7 cell trap?! You should see my TJ with two brushless motors perfom on 7 cells (or my Lift off xs with geared brushless and 12x8" folder). Climb rates well over 30 ft/s - no problem! Jurgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old May 18, 2001, 12:45 AM
Lake Charles, LA
Joined Jun 2000
145 Posts
The answer to the 7 cell trap is.......14 cells!

I bought a bunch of 7 cell junk in my early days of the hobby and lived to tell about it by just getting an Astro 210 controller and a Seniorita kit. I burned through a couple of speed 600 motors before my first Astro 25, but I learned alot in the process and am proud to have come up the way I did.

Barto
Barto is offline Find More Posts by Barto
Old May 18, 2001, 05:02 AM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
Hey, actually, if you're interested, I'll buy your Pegasus 35, one of your packs, and your charger! I actually just recieved a PT-Electric for free from another club member who flies gas. I have some radio equip, but I need an ESC, battery, and another charger, as the only one I have right now is a Jeti Mini peak charger. How much would you want?
PunkerTFC is offline Find More Posts by PunkerTFC
Old May 18, 2001, 08:37 AM
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
7,891 Posts
Barto,

14 cells! You are the man!

Unfortunately, Jesse's problem isn't really the 7-cell trap but rather that he wants to get into another aspect of R/C. Hopefully, by now, we are not picturing 14-cells of 1500mAh on a Lite Stik.

Jesse,

You had some good suggestions here about selling your existing stuff to buy more stuff.

You may also want to look into when your local R/C clubs have an auction. They are usually open to anyone that has R/C stuff to sell.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by Greg Covey (edited 05-18-2001).]
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old May 18, 2001, 09:17 AM
United States, IL, Wonder Lake
Joined Apr 2000
235 Posts
Jesse,

You are 16, it's almost summer vacation for you. I hate to even say the word, but it looks like you need a JOB!!! I hate that word. Job, Work, Responsibility...hate them all. You will find your expenses are going to keep growing from here on out, cars, gas, girls, food, etc. You will get in less trouble with R/C though. You mention crashes, does that happen a lot? If so you may consider a club, instructor, or at least a seasoned flyer to help you along. It is much easier to sell off and move up in planes if you can sell them when there in one piece.

Rob
ratobin is offline Find More Posts by ratobin
Old May 18, 2001, 11:25 AM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Get a job, resistance is futile.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old May 18, 2001, 01:36 PM
Old school newb
Iraq
Joined Feb 2001
840 Posts
christ, I'm only 15, and I need a job allready! I'm almost out of money... *sigh*. Unfortunately, my only limitation is that my dad won't let me get a job while school is still in session, and then the week after school gets out I have ACE camp (full-scale aviation camp, lots of flying ) and then two weeks after that I go to california for three weeks, and after i come back from that I only have a month before I go back to school!!! BOFF!!! oh well.
PunkerTFC is offline Find More Posts by PunkerTFC
Old May 20, 2001, 07:41 AM
Lancaster, PA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
97 Posts
Hi, PunkerTFC
How do I get your email address. I am interested in selling but we should "talk" more...

Jesse
jyoder111 is offline Find More Posts by jyoder111
Old May 20, 2001, 09:53 AM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Get rich parents
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic