Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 24, 2006, 07:20 PM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Jun 2004
31 Posts
Discussion
Soar Utah UPDATES!

Wow - just a week to go until Soar Utah 2006. I thought I would pass along some news / updates to everyone:

1) For anyone who has not been to the Point of the Mountain (South Side) recently - it looks great. Our IMSF grounds crew spend a few weekends getting the Point in perfect shape. We'll have crowd control barriers, radio impound, and a smooth landing area.

2) We've adjusted the times on the Friday events at Butterfield and Grantsville (aerotow) so that people can attend both. The Butterfield flying will run from 9am - 2pm ish. The aerotow will be from 11am - 4pm ish. There are directions for the shortcut from Butterfield to aerotow on the web site.

3) We are anticipating over 100 pilots and probably double that number of specators at the Point on Saturday and Sunday. Soar Utah is going to be a very busy place.

4) The raffle is unbelievable. Our great sponsors have donated radios, planes, electronics, etc. - literally thousands of dollars of great stuff. Oh - and did I mention the raffle also includes a certificate for a tandem paraglider flight!

5) Official registration is Friday from 6:30pm - 8:30pm at the Point - South Side. The IMSF boys are preparing a deep-fried turkey dinner - so come hungry. You'll get your registration packet at that time. If you haven't yet registered, this would be a good time to do it as things are pretty hectic on Saturday morning.

6) Don't forget your park flyers for the BBQ. Falcon Park is perfect for small electric planes.

Directions and details are all available on the soarutah.org site.
erikvogel is offline Find More Posts by erikvogel
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:47 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,901 Posts
Don't you usually aerotow in the morning when the winds are quietest? Afternoon winds best for the slope? Just wondering-- early mornings at the coast work that way. Different weather systems in SLC?
Looking forward to it---I can aerotow and slope fly!
Timmig
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Aug 25, 2006, 02:37 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,223 Posts
From paragliders.com, about the point..

"We are lucky to have the most consistent site in the USA for flying. The winds work like a clock most days, light at sunrise, stead increase for the next 3 to 5 hours while we enjoy perfect soaring and top landing conditions. Once the air starts getting bumpy, it is time to land. Mid day is spent mountain flying or hanging out at the Cloud 9 Shop, then when late afternoon rolls around, head to the North side (usually 3 to 4 hours prior to sunset) for epic flying and the chance to bench up."

Sounds like it ODs midday which tends to pull the wind off the slope
periodically. Not a problem for flatland thermalling, but a real pain
when you're trying to keep a heavy slope plane up.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2006, 08:13 AM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
Don't you usually aerotow in the morning when the winds are quietest? Afternoon winds best for the slope? Just wondering-- early mornings at the coast work that way. Different weather systems in SLC?
Looking forward to it---I can aerotow and slope fly!
Timmig
Tim,

I've only aerotowed at Grantsville once and the winds were light all day long. It is something of a furnace there, though - it's a salt flat, so there's no shade except what you bring with you.

Frank
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Aug 25, 2006, 08:52 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Jun 2004
31 Posts
Slope and Aerotow

Butterfield Canyon (Friday's slope site) is very different than the Point of the Mountain. The slope lift there starts in the morning and dies down in the afternoon. In the morning there are powerful thermals that create some amazing lift. But once it shuts down - it's done.

(Don't believe me - ask Tom Hoopes. A few years ago he landed in the copper pit - about an hour hike down to get his plane. Had it not been for some copper pit workers he would not have made it back before dark and would have spent the night in the mountains!)

Part of the reason for flying Butterfield is to give people a different flying experience from the Point. And did I mention the views?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:09 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,546 Posts
Hey, I'm thinking about going (as a spectator, I don't own any gliders ). What can I expect as a spectator? Will I be able to talk to pilots or am I going to be restricted to a spectator area?
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:43 AM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,343 Posts
I had the same questions as JFinch. I'm a slope pilot, but have been away from it for 10 or so years so I'm not safe enough to fly in front of a crowd at the moment. I'd really like to buy a T-shirt. Will they be available on site or do I have to preorder?
Cory is online now Find More Posts by Cory
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:50 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Jun 2004
31 Posts
Specators Welcomed

Specators are welcomed. There are certain areas that are restricted for safety of pilots and specators (landing area and the lip of the Point), but the bulk of the area is open to everybody. Most pilots have their planes on display in the pit area and specators can freely walk around, see the planes, and chat with the pilots.

As for the shirts - we'll have a few extra for sale on Saturday morning. Since we have already had the shirts printed, we are selling the remaining shirts on a first come, first served basis.

And no big deal if you haven't flown in a while. Charge up that plane and bring it. We'll have plenty of expert pilots on hand who can lend a hand. Don't forget however, that you'll need proof that you are an AMA member.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:36 AM
I DS slower than I build!
Idaho Falls
Joined Jul 2006
2,343 Posts
I'm not an AMA member, and don't see much point in joining right now because all my flying is by myself in pretty remote locations here in Idaho. I used to fly at Point of the Mountain when I was in the Utah National Guard (Blackhawk crewchief with the 1/211th in West Jordan) in the early 90's. Hopefully two years from now I'll be brushed up and no longer an extreme collision threat to planes and people , then I might spring for the membership and come participate as a pilot with you at Soar Utah 2008.
Cory is online now Find More Posts by Cory
Last edited by Cory; Aug 25, 2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 06:14 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,546 Posts
Thanks erik. I'm planning to come and see what all this sloping's about!
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Aug 25, 2006, 06:24 PM
USA, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Mar 2001
1,837 Posts
jfinch,

We'll be glad to have you! I'm coming from Oklahoma City, a little over 1200 miles to fly in Utah. It'll be my third trip! Slope soaring to many is like flying fast, aerobatic power planes without all the mess. For others, it's a chance to fly large scale planes or small, very heavy models of WW2 jets and props.

The people are great, it's a well run event that has FUN as it's major draw. With over 100 pilots and probably 400 or more planes (I'll have 15-20 with me) you'll get to see a real variety of models. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

George Voss
gavoss is online now Find More Posts by gavoss
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:37 PM
sno
winds a blow'n Im a go'n!
The Sticks!! Central Oregon
Joined Mar 2005
994 Posts
5$ says jfinch will be a slope'r soon! ;-)
sno is offline Find More Posts by sno
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:41 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,333 Posts
Getting psyched!

Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Aug 26, 2006, 01:34 AM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,901 Posts
Very cool Eric, didn't realize the thermal/morning thing!!! We're definitely planning on flying up there! Want to experience it with you'se guys!!! Getting pumped and got lot's of toys to fly--including several FAST elecrics of all sizes, from a little "Twister" to a "Zoom" full race. Plenty of fun flying to be had!! Looking forward to the SLC skies!
Timmig
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Aug 26, 2006, 08:27 AM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
887 Posts
Hey Guys just a quick reminder bring a jacket or coat sometimes it can get a bit cool....Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal