HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2006, 07:45 PM
fortune favours the bold
Vancouver Boundary, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
367 Posts
Heres another point of view:
The fellow is looking for his first heli. It should be something simple and easy, cheap to fix. Not ultimate performance, but reliable and predictable.

I had a hawk Pro for a year. Even though I'm an experienced flyer it was a very fun machine with low "pucker" factor. With the toki 40 power was very good, almost pre-hyper 50 power. The machine would do anything I wanted it to and it was often passed around at the local heli club to many flyers. It even won a local 3d contest being flown by my bud. This was against Furys, Raptors etc.
The hawk Pro is the evolution of the hawk line, many of the issues that used to come up have been adressed. It works. Nothing against the Raptor, they are both good, competitive machines.
I recently saw a fellow who calls for a top XFC competitor fly the Hawk, and It did it all. There is no substitute for getting an economical, reliable heli that will allow you to burn fuel, then burn more. Time on the sticks will imporve your flying much more than flying a "bling" heli.
So after over 100 flights on the Hawk I sold it to a friend who needs some help learning autos. He can auto pretty dam good now with the hawk and loves it so much he flys it constantly. I recently got a chance to wring it out again and its as tight as ever with 150+ flights now.
BTW the hawk shares many components with the Raven 50. My Raven 50 with OS hyper beat all comers in the 50/60 size drag racing class last year at the Wash state Snohomish funfly. I even beat one of the unlimited guys. The Hawk/Raven drivetrain gives you many options for gear ratios which allow you to run a mild or wild headspeed depending on your preference. The Hawk is alos one of the (if not THE) lightest helis in its class today.
Beware of people who just put down other helis out of hand. Often they are trying to mask their own incompetence by blaming the heli.
The vast majority of helis of all brands today are good performers. they all have weaknesses and strengths. Not one brand is perfect.
Greg
gjestico is offline Find More Posts by gjestico
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2006, 09:34 AM
Joined Aug 2006
54 Posts
I just flew my Hawk Pro for the first time yesterday. Its my first heli. I took my time setting it up and with a only little help at the field working on pitch curves, throttle curves, and rudder set up it was hovering hands off for 11-12 sec. Not bad I think. I don't have any expirence with the raptor, I'm sure they are good helis too, but I really like my Hawk.
COOKIEULT70 is offline Find More Posts by COOKIEULT70
Old Sep 02, 2006, 10:48 AM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
ahhh the century reps are breeding.

Ade
Ade is offline Find More Posts by Ade
Old Sep 02, 2006, 09:23 PM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
Well. time for my 2 cents worth.

I've been reading this gas group for a while and I've seen similar discussions before. I think it may be able to be explained this way.

You guys remember the first time you listened to a CD? It was clean but not the mindblowing experience the magazines talked about. Well then after listening to one for a while you heard a tape again and nearly had to throw up. don't know if that is a good analogy but I think it comes down to this.

I think both camps are correct.

Ade is extremely knowledgable and has tons of experience. His flying is spectacular and I only wish to someday be doing half of what he does. His background and experience must be kept in mind when it comes to discussing the hawk though. he's probablly got more flight time than most of us combined. And is a conosiur (in a heli sense)

At the same time......for someone who is new to heli's, looking at the expenses and thinking (should I?), and really wondering if he's still gonna be interested in this activity in two years, the hawk is a great machine. I've only got about 2-3 gallons through mine and I"m already thinking of selling it (need more power). And I must say it was worth every frickin penny and has got to be one of the coolest things I've ever done. It took me outta the small "toy" electrics and into a world of machines that are very scary (and exilirating). It taught me inverted hovering (lots of sim time helped) and more importantly how to build and maintain a heli.

Sorry this was long but I'm just trying to say that I think you're both right. It all depends on perspective and experience.

PS. Anybody wanna buy a Hawk? I'm movin over to a raptor 50. My trex made my .32 powered heli feel like a slug and took all the fun outta the thing.

Daniel
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Old Sep 03, 2006, 03:38 AM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
Thanks munch. nice to see a sensible answer.

let me ask you something.

1) How much did that hawk cost you ready to fly?
2) How much do you think that model is worth in the second hand market?
3) How much did the raptor 50 cost you ready to fly?

i am betting that by the time you take into consideration the amount you lost on the hawk if you had bought the raptor 50 from the start it is actually a cheaper heli in the longer run or at worst case very slightly more expensive.

One thing i have found is that most peoples "budgets" are self emposed its not what they can afford but what they can justify spending. People see the price tag and believing that all helis are equal and go for that.

luckily round here i get to most people before they buy a heli. After spending an hour with me they have a much better understanding of the world of helis generally. They also get their hands on the sticks of my knight and i explain the differences between my setup and the cheap stuff. They go away knowing why its worth spending the extra money on a quality 50 size heli with some reasonable servos and transmitter to go with it.

Ade
Old Sep 03, 2006, 10:47 PM
fortune favours the bold
Vancouver Boundary, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade
luckily round here i get to most people before they buy a heli. After spending an hour with me they have a much better understanding of the world of helis generally. They also get their hands on the sticks of my knight and i explain the differences between my setup and the cheap stuff.
Ade
Wow, Clearly you are a Heli God and know it all, and have done it all.
I think I will bow out of this conversation.
gjestico is offline Find More Posts by gjestico
Old Sep 04, 2006, 01:06 AM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
now now, no need for THAT attitude.

did mommy never tell you "if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all?"

I normally adhere to that rule but there are so many century cheerleaders that if i didnt say something people around here would think the hawk was the greatest heli ever made and everybody flew them

Ade
Old Sep 04, 2006, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2006
830 Posts
Daniel,

You may want to consider the Raven 50 - it flies more like hot , small 60 then a larger 30. That is probably because it uses many of the systems from the Predator then from the 30 size Hawk.
syclic is offline Find More Posts by syclic
Old Sep 04, 2006, 03:14 PM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
you never give up do you.

Ade
Old Sep 05, 2006, 11:00 AM
Peterborough
Joined Sep 2004
87 Posts
Century make a good set of ball link pliers
Tosh is offline Find More Posts by Tosh
Old Sep 06, 2006, 10:24 PM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
I agree about the ball link plyers but only after I shaved them down so they fit between things better. I was having a terrible time fitting the fork in between the link and the arm when removing links from balls.

as for my hawk/raptor experience the hawk was a bit cheaper than my used raptor. I'm into the raptor for probablly 800 bucks used where the hawk was around 600 ready to fly. However, the raptor has better motor, servos, all metal parts, carbon blades, etc. I'm sure it will fly way way beyond my skills for quite some time.

Still though it comes down to "the addiction". If you don't know you have "it" (the addiction) then you are reluctant to spend the big money it takes to get a really nice heli (not infuring that my raptor 50 is really nice....its nice but not cadillac). When people come over and see all my stuff (which I'm sure is Jr. to many of you) they are kinda awe struck when they see 5-6k worth of crap. It didn't start that way though and unless you've got the addiction you don't wanna waste alot of money.

still don't know if it makes sence but I can say honestly......

The hawk was a great heli for me. I used it, crashed it, and now am hoping to sell it. and I honestly wouldn't change a thing if I was doing it all over again. the thought of me spending 1200 bucks on a new raptor 50 with hottsi-tottsi servos and gyro would have been enough to keep me outta the hobby.

Daniel
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Old Sep 07, 2006, 01:39 AM
Ade
Instructor
Bournemouth UK
Joined Aug 2002
1,836 Posts
its all about getting the balance right. spending enough to keep the model up to spec for the first year without double spending.

most that go out and buy cheap gyros will replace them in well under 6 months. so thats 50+ukp wasted. Reasonable servos are much cheaper than they used to be. Futaba 3152s are excellent servos for the money giving digital accuracy without the expense of coreless motors at the expense of speed, but there arent many noobs that are going to be needing the speed of something like 9252s. 3152s do make life a lot easier for everybody, they respond accurately to your inputs, very little slop or dead band.

I hate seeing people spend money then upgrading stuff in the first few months-year its a waste.

spend money now or spend more later.

for noobs on a really tight budget i recommend a raptor 30 with a futaba 7c and 3001 on everything but the collective which gets a 3152 and tail which gets a 401/9254.

the 7c will do everything a 9c does as far as helis are concerned (with a little bit of fudging)

this will keep most going for a minimum of 6 months.

that is the absolute minimum i recommend spending and after a lesson with me most understand why its worth spending that amount money. which isnt a lot in the grand scheme of things. the Vast majority will spend the extra on a 50 too. As i have said before most of the time budgets are not what people can afford but rather what they can justify spending.

Ade