HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2002, 05:02 PM
NC
Joined Aug 2002
257 Posts
please can someone tell me if a NEWBIE can fly a MICRO heli?

hello, I have had some bad luck with a 30 sized heli, cost to much to repair, I ALMOST got it when a BAD crash put me back and I had to stop flying, can someone tell me if the new bread of MICRO helis are first off flyable? and 2nd how bad is the average crash $$wise and TIMEwise?? how is the picalo? what aobut the hosue fly?

thanks!
-Obin Olson
obin is offline Find More Posts by obin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2002, 05:09 PM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
I've read it in this Discussion Group a hundred times. The right heli for you is the LM Corona.

Rob
rscamp is offline Find More Posts by rscamp
Old Aug 11, 2002, 06:36 PM
Victim of Gravity
Cary, NC
Joined Sep 2001
814 Posts
I agree. The Corona is the way to go, though it's not, technically, a micro. The MICRO helis (Hornet, Piccolo) are darn cool, but because they're so small are harder to get into the air (more sesitive to adjustments, etc) and touchier to control. The smaller the heli, the more critical it is to get it adjusted properly. Also, to fly a micro heli - at least, to learn - you need a decent amount of indoor space, or some good, windless days outside. And I do mean WINDLESS.

I started with a Hornet, which was an excellent machine. The only problem was that I didn't have nearly enough indoor space, so I needed to fly outside. Whereas a good mico heli pilot can fly the Hornet in a breeze, a newbie (like myslef) probably can't. At least, not without crashing a lot. So I traded in the Hornet and got a Corona. Although the Hornet was remarkably durable, the Corona is even tougher. It's also a lot heavier, and therefore more stable and easier to control with wind.

So I'd recommend learning with a Corona, and then transitioning to a micro if the idea still intrigues you.

My $0.02. Enjoy!

KC
K.C. is offline Find More Posts by K.C.
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:01 PM
New jersey
Joined Mar 2002
79 Posts
I am a newbie Heli flyer. Never flew one, bought a Piccolo Fun and I am learning so much its unbeliavable. This thing is great because you can crash it over and over until you get it right. I have heard its harder to fly than the larger gas heli's with collective pitch. I suggest a Piccolo fun with the Astro 20 brushless upgrade, the aluminum swashplate, CNC anti-rotation link. This makes it MUCH more stable than the original which is very sloppy. Oh, also get the aluminum head with the bearings, so you dont have to go looking for those damn nylon bearing after you knock your blades off.
So far I can hover and maintain control, Ive been flying for three days. My Piccolo has alot of CA on it
Mr Hat is offline Find More Posts by Mr Hat
Old Aug 11, 2002, 10:22 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
A Piccolo would be a cool flyer for limitied space and pretty durable from what I hear. I started with the Corona after some time on a sim. Do whatever you want, but I can tell you from experience that you can beat the crap out of an LMH Corona and spend little or no money on repairs. See my thread from todays "mishap"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=56130
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 12, 2002, 12:12 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,087 Posts
I have owned both a piccolo and I now have a hornet and I have owned a LMH. for a micro heli there is no other option in my eyes (right now at least) other than the hornet. far better quality and flyability. the corona is certainly the best option however, because of its extreme durabilaty and great instuction manual. the corona manual is good enough that one should be able to teach him/herself to fly.
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Aug 12, 2002, 06:27 AM
Joined Jun 2002
28 Posts
Guys, PLEASE remember not all of you are American!!

I'm in the UK and am sick of you guys recommending the LMH Corona. We can't get it here unless we import directly from US, and then it would be a pain in the ass getting parts.

Please, just *think* before you go "get a corona" and simply hit the post button without suggesting anything else.
Hooloovoo is offline Find More Posts by Hooloovoo
Old Aug 12, 2002, 09:25 AM
Steinkjer, N-T, Norway
Joined Mar 2001
66 Posts
What if I want a small helicopter able to to 3D light (CP Corona out), handle wind (Piccolo & Hornet out of the question) and small enought to play with in my backyard (Logo 10 too big)

What are the alternatives?

Heaven Micro?
Robbe Eolo?
Bajazz is offline Find More Posts by Bajazz
Old Aug 12, 2002, 09:52 AM
Highland, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,112 Posts
Don't discount the abilities of the Hornet, watch this video
http://www.deeteeenterprises.com/ms_hornet.videos.php

Walt
cyhyam is offline Find More Posts by cyhyam
Old Aug 12, 2002, 10:31 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
You are going to quickly realize that no one helicopter is going to be the right one in every catigory. From your first post you mentioned a dislike of having down time due to crashes and the expense of crash parts. If this is a high priority then you should focus on the models that will excelerate your learning curve and keep you flying and trying new things without waiting and maxing out your credit card. Remember that you are not going to keep this for too long before either upgrading or selling to get a more performance oriented machine.

Start your heli adventure smartly and save yourself time and expenses by aligning your purchase with whats most important to you right NOW.

My 02 cents, again
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 12, 2002, 10:53 AM
Joined Nov 2001
162 Posts
I would absolutely not recommend the Hornet or Piccolo to new fliers. If you're crashing a .30 size, you're just going to be in for more frustration with the micros. I think they're an order of magnitude harder to control. And don't think that because they're small they're cheap.

It sounds like what you really need is to practice on simulator first. If you can hover reliably well in a sim, you should be able to do the same with the real thing.

If you absolutely insist on the hover-crash-repair-hover-crash-repair... cycle of learning then you should get the Corona.

For backyards just about any electric is OK. My backyard is only about 20' X 20' and I fly both my Eco8 and Joker back there. Well, fly is exagerrating, hover is more like it...

-edg-
edgoldman is offline Find More Posts by edgoldman
Old Aug 12, 2002, 11:12 AM
GA USA
Joined Feb 2002
92 Posts
If you'd like to 'fly-crash-fly-crash at minimal cost and you have a double garage sized indoor space get a Piccolo. Very very tough. The Hornet is a better flier but the Piccolo's low head speed and detachable rotorhead make it the king of crashing !
jam66 is offline Find More Posts by jam66
Old Aug 12, 2002, 11:40 AM
Joined Nov 2001
162 Posts
I wish I could agree. After flying nitro's I thought I'd try micros and got a hornet and piccolo. Piccolo may be sturdier, but it is doesn't fly as well as the Hornet out of the box. Both of mine just ended up being glued together masses of carbon fiber twigs. Bleh. Sold them both and got an Eco8. Hellava lot better.

I tip my hat to people who learn on the micros, but I think that's the hard road. On the plus side, if you can hover one of those things, chances are you'll have no problem with something bigger...

-edg-
edgoldman is offline Find More Posts by edgoldman
Old Aug 12, 2002, 12:11 PM
Joined Jan 2002
306 Posts
I think a Micro Heli is a great first Helicopter...
You can read more here:

http://www.helihobby.com/html/tipstricks.html

Regards,

Sean.
born2net is offline Find More Posts by born2net
Old Aug 12, 2002, 05:07 PM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hooloovoo
Guys, PLEASE remember not all of you are American!!

I'm in the UK and am sick of you guys recommending the LMH Corona. We can't get it here unless we import directly from US, and then it would be a pain in the ass getting parts.

Please, just *think* before you go "get a corona" and simply hit the post button without suggesting anything else.
Excuse me, but I'm not an American. The person who started this thread is from North Carolina!

Most of us are just hobbyists and would have no clue of the distribution of a given product in another country. These days parts can be ordered from around the world. I have a Logo. I don't know about other Logo owners, but I sure don't order Logo parts from any local hobby shop.

Maybe, just maybe the Corona is still the best choice for someone from the UK too.

Rob
rscamp is offline Find More Posts by rscamp
Last edited by rscamp; Aug 12, 2002 at 05:58 PM.