HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:57 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Discussion
Futaba 7CH or 9CHS?

I have an HBCP2 I've been flying for about a month now. I'm trying to prioritize my next round of purchases and I've settled on a buying a programmable radio. I'm having a really hard time justifying the extra $150 to go all the way to the top with a 9CHS.

At best I can score a 7CHS for about $170 in contrast to a 9CHS (with transmitter module and crystal only) for $320.

For the that extra cash I get:

- 2 extra channels, one which I would use for remote gain adjustment
- 2 extra dedicated knobs (for hover pitch and hover trim)
- campak capability (I only have one heli)
- a 2nd timer (I have a stopwatch)
- throttle delay (nice feature, but hardly necessary)

Future purchases may include a more sophisticated mini (i.e. TREX, APLUS, SJM etc...) but stay mostly stock with the CP2 (i.e. no plans for HH gyros or belt drives etc...)

So my request:

I need to know what makes the 9ch so valuable that I can't live without it. Especially if the 7CH can meet every conceivable need I'll have in the next 6-12 months.

Thanks in advance.
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:05 PM
Aberdeen,Scotland, UK
Joined Jun 2005
1,309 Posts
To sum it up quickly for you,,,,,,Yes,the Futaba 7C will do all you will ask of it and more for many years to come,in my humble opinion.I've had one about a year now which i bought for a new trex,it just never fails,and i love the programming menus with the "dial up" wheel style,so easy and freindly to use,and i honestly cant say ive missed the other 2 channels,just get one .
McDanger is offline Find More Posts by McDanger
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:20 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDanger
To sum it up quickly for you,,,,,,Yes,the Futaba 7C will do all you will ask of it and more for many years to come,in my humble opinion.I've had one about a year now which i bought for a new trex,it just never fails,and i love the programming menus with the "dial up" wheel style,so easy and freindly to use,and i honestly cant say ive missed the other 2 channels,just get one .
You know - I just finished reading through like 20 responses on this exact same question - and failed to find a single response as concise and appropriate as yours...

Guess I was just looking for some assurance that I won't be missing anything that I can't live without.

I figure by the time I need to upgrade my radio again - we'll be playing with spread spectrum systems
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:22 PM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
If you are looking at it from a single model point of view, the minimal transmitter is always the best choice.
But if you are going to be in the hobby for a while, you always end up wishing you had more transmitter.
Mixes are much more flexible on the 9C. The display is much better.
As I understand it, the 7c has a 3 point revo mix, where the 9c has a 5 point mix curve. (could be wrong, I have not tried this on the 7c because we had HH gyros)
I have a few helis and more than a few planes. I now have 2 cam pacs, and I use then to swap models with my Dad's and Brother's transmitters.

You won't be doing it wrong with the 7C. You WILL be happier for a longer time with the 9C.
Vince
Vince Herman is offline Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:24 PM
Blade CP/MaxiR SE
Mississauga, Canada
Joined Jul 2006
439 Posts
How many helis could one set up on the 7CH?

Creosote.
Creosote is offline Find More Posts by Creosote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:48 PM
0 Carbon fp? don't breed!
www.dhrc.rchomepage.com Gloucester/Cheltenham Gloucester, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Oct 2004
2,161 Posts
The 7C has 10 model memories.
Other than the 3 point up/down % REVO restriction for standard rate gyro's with unconventional FP throttle curve characteristics, the 7C has been flawless with Heading Hold gyro's.

So if the HBCP2 (with rate mode gyro) pitch curve in all modes crosses mid stick at zero pitch then the 7C revo mix will just be useful and usable. Otherwise get the 9C if you can afford it (preferred option).

EDIT: 7C curves are free floating 5 point curves except for REVO and the 3 programmable mixes that are up/down +/- % tied to zero mid sticks.
DarkHorse is offline Find More Posts by DarkHorse
Last edited by DarkHorse; Aug 25, 2006 at 08:33 AM. Reason: add detail
Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:10 PM
"Heli-Pimp"
McHenry, IL
Joined Mar 2003
2,943 Posts
The 9CHP is the best investment I ever made in heli hobby ! PERIOD. 5 point curves, but I DO NOT KNOW that the 7 doe not have them. The display and programming are great!!!! Much better than my first 6 ch Futaba heli radio (had three point curves)... although that got me started, I wish I bought the 9 in the beginning now that i have one. Someone else told me if you're going to stay in the hobby buy the best HELI radio you cannot afford, you won't regret it, and they have good re-sale value if you keep it in good shape,

just my opinion. Ken
kdill2160 is offline Find More Posts by kdill2160
Old Aug 25, 2006, 01:25 AM
RALEIGH, NC
Joined Feb 2006
983 Posts
7C = 5 point curve
Crash549 is offline Find More Posts by Crash549
Old Aug 25, 2006, 01:40 AM
RC Outlaw
New Mexico
Joined Mar 2002
370 Posts
I have A T6XHAS for my planes and it totally stinks that it is only heli or acro. If I go into heli mode I loose all my fixed wing stuff. Do these other TXs allow setups (memories) for both helis and planes? Otherwise the 6ch has served me well. Now that I've been bitten hard by the heli bug I need to upgrade.
NitroWatt is offline Find More Posts by NitroWatt
Old Aug 25, 2006, 05:46 AM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
The campac is a nice feature. You drop your TX and as long as the helis are copied into the campac you still have them. The TX will come back from repair empty.

The 9CHP takes a module. It might just be that You need it later. maybe a 2.4G module later? 7 people at the club every Sat on the same chan? I think the synth module is a must have.

The extra timer is great. one set to when you should land and one set to when you have to land.

When my friend was looking for a new TX and the 7chp just came out (it wasn't out when I bought the 9chpS) I had a good hard look at it for him and there was a couple other minor "not includeds" that all added up to him getting a 9CHPS. I can't for the life of me remember them now.

Yes almost any modern TX will allow models stored in either heli, glide, or acro and switch between them seemlessly.

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Aug 25, 2006, 07:55 PM
Joined Aug 2004
134 Posts
I've owned a 7CHP for 2 years and have never needed anything more. I've currently got it programmed for 3 heli's and 3 foamy planes....works great for all.
MrBruiser is offline Find More Posts by MrBruiser
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:52 PM
RC Outlaw
New Mexico
Joined Mar 2002
370 Posts
Thanks for the info...appreciated.
NitroWatt is offline Find More Posts by NitroWatt