SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:13 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Discussion
Better to build your own lipo packs or buy pre-made?

I'm getting more and more into e-power, and it's starting to eat into my funding a bit. Mostly on the battery side of things, I've got more into batteries now than I have in my actual aircraft!

Can you source individual lipo cells of good quality and build your own packs for less than purchasing one of the well-respected vendor's batteries? (prolites, evos, etc..)

I'm curious if you could, for instance, go out and purchase 2100mah 20C discharge lipo cells that are light, and stick four together, add balancing taps, and make a pack out of it - for less than just buying an evo or something.

If it is possible, where's the best place to source the materials/cells you'll need to do it? My wallet is flaming..
ormandj is offline Find More Posts by ormandj
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:53 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
two packs for $79 DN Power 15C 2150 mah at www.california-hobbies.com
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:55 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall woo
two packs for $79 DN Power 15C 2150 mah at www.california-hobbies.com
Thanks hall, I've seen all of your posts telling people to get those along with various other DN this or thats. I'm looking for 20C.

PS - I live in Hawaii, I can't exactly drive to California Hobbies, and I don't see any way to order online, even IF they had what I wanted.
Last edited by ormandj; Aug 23, 2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:19 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Cheap 20C cells might be a bit hard to find these days It's hard to beat common sense batteries price wise - if you are going for packs. If you want loose cells, try http://www.truerc.net/ or have a good hard look at those A123cells in the De Walt power packs.

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:22 PM
Über Geek
Kaneohe, Hawaii
Joined Feb 2006
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arx_n_sparx
Cheap 20C cells might be a bit hard to find these days It's hard to beat common sense batteries price wise - if you are going for packs. If you want loose cells, try http://www.truerc.net/ or have a good hard look at those A123cells in the De Walt power packs.

Brad
The a123's won't work for helis from what I've read. :/

I'll check out that truerc place (but their webpage scares me and the USA link doesn't even work (and loads from comcast!!!)..)

Thanks for the info!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:21 PM
WWW.RITEHOBBY.COM
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Oct 2004
514 Posts
how could you forget about us?
let me know what you are looking for?

Jun
ildo is offline Find More Posts by ildo
Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:24 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Ildo (Jun) is the US Importer of EP batts, one of two of the best 20C lines I've tried yet. The Electric Power line is the heavyweights I like to use for competition.

The other 20C batt I like for lightweight power is Vampower... ran by Vamooska here on RCG. I use these batts for lighter planes that need crazy speed and vertical

Both top of the line, I favor them over my TP prolites.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Aug 24, 2006, 03:14 AM
Creteil, France
Joined Nov 2003
474 Posts
I have been buying both packs and cells from Austin at Maxamps.
Depending on the sales ongoing, buying cells might not really make sense from an economical point of view (see 3S 2100HV packs at the moment)
vpersiani is offline Find More Posts by vpersiani
Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:05 AM
Joined Jan 2002
6,587 Posts
If you are going to the trouble of buying individual cells, you can apply them safely and inexpensively without building conventional packs at all (no need for balancers, either, for safe operation):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388233

Also, I have had no problems at all ordering cells from MaxAmps or TrueRC.

- RD
RD Blakeslee is offline Find More Posts by RD Blakeslee