SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:21 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchandbash
I'd like to see 8 brushed motors on a 109.

I put a geared 400 in mine, which does well, but not light. With the added tail weight of full weight Monokote on the tail, it actually needs all of the forward weight for the CG setting, with a 3s-1320. Did you need to add noseweight with the outrunner?

Bill
No Bill. I cut a hatch in the top of the cowling and mounted the Battery undeneath it.

My Spitfire, also fitted with an outrunner, had the battery mounted in the space that was no longer occupied by the brushed motor.

Note how small the Apex 300 is

My GWS-38 has two 2208-18s mounted on GWS Plastic mounts. The sticks are in the botom holes and two US$13 Brushless ESCs are mounted in the Booms. THe battery is mounted in the Pod along with the UBEC. Total cost of the two motors and two ESCs for this aeroplane was US$59.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jan 11, 2007 at 05:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:37 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Ken,

You Sir must have the skinniest fingers ever I mean how in the heck do you take out those Batteries from your GWS-38 so you can charge them?

My fat Gorilla fingers will destroy that foam motor compartment in a heart beat.... trying to even get to the batteries as your picture depicts.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jan 11, 2007, 05:42 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Ken,

You Sir must have the skinniest fingers ever I mean how in the heck do you take out those Batteries from your GWS-38 so you can charge them?

My fat Gorilla fingers will destroy that foam motor compartment in a heart beat.... trying to even get to the batteries as your picture depicts.
The battery for the 109 comes out of the hatch easily and the Spitfires battery is removed rearwards, through the canopy opening. The GWS-38 runs on two cells and so the battery is not a tight fit in the pod and is easily removed.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:21 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
No Bill. I cut a hatch in the top of the cowling and mounted the Battery undeneath it.
Ken
I knew you had to do something like that. It makes sense, because even if you did hog it out and use the original opening, you would have a heck of a time horsing it in and out. Mine's bad enough, and you gotta watch out, when stressing those batt cables. Repaired one already, from that kind of abuse.

Mine balaces perfectly with a 3s-1320 all the way forward, and a heavy geared 400. I'm sure that simply adding the little weight of Monokote to the tail, and inner fuse CF braces caused it to need the full weight of a heavy 400 to balance. These pre-lipo/bl warbirds almost always need some mod for balance, when lighter motors and batt are used.

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash
Old Jan 14, 2007, 02:43 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
New GWS P-38 Complete

Here are a some pictures of my newly completed GWS P-38. I maidened it last weekend and it flies very nicely. I am not satisfied with the 2208-18T motors on 9x4.7 GWS SF props and 3S. I'll have to figure something else our I'll use a couple of BP-21s I have arriving early this week. Paint scheme loosely modeled after a plane from the 95 FS, 82nd FG Foggia Italy, 1944.

Thanks to some great tips from others on rcgroups this was a fun build and a welcomed addition to my squadron.
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:10 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
That looks great!

Hey Mr. Lin... I'm currently building my SECOND GWS-38, and something occured to me... It would be very easy to offer different noses ("droop snoot", "photo recon", etcetera) for your GWS-38.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jan 14, 2007, 07:36 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Thanks Red. Your thread and others help make it easier and more enjoyable to put together a plane that looks as good as it flies. Good luck with your new 38 too.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 08:59 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy
I'll have to figure something else our I'll use a couple of BP-21s I have arriving early this week .

Cincy
The Plane looks great! I tried mine with Brushed 350Cs and it was ,well a pig! I also made the mistake of trying a second flight and busted it up pretty well. Now let me ask What BP-21 are you going to try the 1750 KV one.
Thanks
Merlin
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jan 14, 2007, 09:07 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
You might want to try the GWS 9x7 3-blade props on those GWS 2208/12T motors. I've been flying mine on those since I got it, and performance is quite satisfying.
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
Old Jan 14, 2007, 09:21 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16
Cincy
The Plane looks great! I tried mine with Brushed 350Cs and it was ,well a pig! I also made the mistake of trying a second flight and busted it up pretty well. Now let me ask What BP-21 are you going to try the 1750 KV one.
Thanks
Merlin
Yes the 1750 kv one. Only problem is I have already mounted my motor stick in the lower location. I'll have to figure out how to mount the BP21 using the lower stick and still have it line up properly. I was thinking of trying to use the gws outrunner motor mounts somehow but I haven't really done much until the motors show up. My goal is to still use the stock gws spinner (I like the two tone blue / red look)
Old Jan 14, 2007, 09:22 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsa Hound
You might want to try the GWS 9x7 3-blade props on those GWS 2208/12T motors. I've been flying mine on those since I got it, and performance is quite satisfying.
My motors are teh 2208/18T. Not sure how the 3 blade prop will work on that one. I have two of them laying around unused.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 09:42 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Originally, I was going to use twin BP-21's on my GWS-38... I ended up not going that route, but I'm very interested to hear how yours flys with the twin BP-21's.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jan 14, 2007, 11:40 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
Cincy

I used the TP 2409-12 (1600kv cousin to the -21) on my -38. It's easy to line up the motor. The base of the motor has three holes, not quite 120 degrees apart. Using a small nut and bolt, attach the "top" hole to the hole on the plastic mount (at the end of the stick mount). Drill two holes matching the bottom of the aluminum motor mount into the plastic motor mount and attached with small nuts and bolts. The motor shaft should line up (or just be a tiny bit lower) than the plastic motor shaft bearing mount.

BTW - 8x4 props are the way to go!

Good luck!

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr
Last edited by jamesdr; Jan 15, 2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 05:44 AM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
Cincy

I used the TP 2409-12 (1600kv cousin to the -21) on my -38. It's easy to line up the motor. The base of the motor has three holes, not quite 120 degrees apart. Using a small nut and bolt, attach the "top" hole to the hole on the plastic mount (at the end of the stick mount). Drill two holes matching the bottom of the aluminum motor mount into the plastic motor mount and attached with small nuts and bolts. The motor shaft should line up (or just be a tiny bit lower) than the plastic motor shaft bearing mount.

BTW - 8x4 props are the way to go!

Good luck!

Jim
Thanks. Where is your motor stick mounted in the boom (top or bottom hole)? Mine is in the bottom hole since my original set up was to use an outrunner and the gws outrunner mount.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 09:56 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
Cincy

I used the top hole. I don't know if the motor will line up "inverted" or, most likely, you will have to cut off the old mounts and use some new motor mounts. The plastic mount coupled with the motor is long so you will have to cut off the excess mount behind the stick part and push it all the way back to the firewall.

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr