SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 09, 2007, 11:47 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
GWS has been making the 54mm Propeller hub plates and spinners for some time now.....I do recall that they make the 2-blade and 4-blade propeller hub back plates and spinners but, for the 3-blade all they have is the spinner.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2007, 04:03 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaKelley
Cylinders are round in one direction, square in the other.
I'm not sure what this means. Are you talking about the GWS kits, or beer cans?
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jan 09, 2007, 04:10 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I'm not sure what this means. Are you talking about the GWS kits, or beer cans?
Square Beer cans? Nope, I never seen one?
http://www.beercannews.com/BEER_CAN_...n_history.html
Old Jan 09, 2007, 04:15 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,362 Posts
Carlos,

Me either. Go back to post 1344 to see where my confusion started. VenturaKelly stated that his GWS C-47 cowls were "as square as old Coors cans".

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jan 09, 2007, 06:14 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16
My GWS 38 with the "new" 3 blade Spinners
Nice job Merlin. If those are GWS 3-blade props, I highly recommend replacing them with 3 blade FSK props. The GWS ones will not hold their shape at flying RPM speeds. I have them and have tested them a lot. Lots of amp draw, but not so good on the thrust. FSK's are a lot better.
To be honest, I've found that the MAS 3-blade props provide MORE thrust then GWS by far and somewhat more then the FSK props and thats why I use them....and the amp draw is about the same(at least on my motors). I do have FSK 3-blades on some single motor planes(GP Corsair, ThunderTiger rarebear, etc).
The weight of the FSK blades is slightly more then the GWS, but only a couple grams. GWS is 8 grams(painted black), FSK is 10 grams, MAS is 17.5 grams
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 09, 2007, 06:33 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
Nice job Merlin. If those are GWS 3-blade props, I highly recommend replacing them with 3 blade FSK props. The GWS ones will not hold their shape at flying RPM speeds. I have them and have tested them a lot. Lots of amp draw, but not so good on the thrust. FSK's are a lot better.
To be honest, I've found that the MAS 3-blade props provide MORE thrust then GWS by far and somewhat more then the FSK props and thats why I use them....and the amp draw is about the same(at least on my motors). I do have FSK 3-blades on some single motor planes(GP Corsair, ThunderTiger rarebear, etc).
The weight of the FSK blades is slightly more then the GWS, but only a couple grams. GWS is 8 grams(painted black), FSK is 10 grams, MAS is 17.5 grams
Thanks Kaloq
They are GWS 9/7/3 props sitting on 2 brushed 350s with "C" gearing. I will try to maiden once more before going Brushless. You guys are costing me alot of money!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jan 09, 2007, 08:46 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
You guys are costing me alot of money!
No, no, no!!! It's the other way around! You are costing ME a lot of money!

Seriously -- as far as this hobby is concerned, I truly believe the obsession is contagious. (As a matter of fact, I just hooked a guy at the office!)
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jan 09, 2007, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
No, no, no!!! It's the other way around! You are costing ME a lot of money!

Seriously -- as far as this hobby is concerned, I truly believe the obsession is contagious. (As a matter of fact, I just hooked a guy at the office!)

All i can say is for what i paid for a brushless motor and an ESC i could have bought 8 brushed motors! I have also given up 7 of my ten hobbies to support R/C planes. I moved to Florida and joined a club and bought a brushless motor! I'm hooked
Old Jan 09, 2007, 09:20 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
All i can say is for what i paid for a brushless motor and an ESC i could have bought 8 brushed motors! I have also given up 7 of my ten hobbies to support R/C planes. I moved to Florida and joined a club and bought a brushless motor! I'm hooked
Where in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Mirramar, ????

Check out the events section as many Clubs in the Central Florida and upper Florida area will be hosting some neat Fun Flys!
Old Jan 09, 2007, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Where in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Mirramar, ????

Check out the events section as many Clubs in the Central Florida and upper Florida area will be hosting some neat Fun Flys!
I'm in North Port but i belong to SSF. I also have a secret local place.
Merlin
Old Jan 10, 2007, 04:02 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
A GWS Brushless Motor and ESC cost less than what you paid for your brusless set up and has a motor life measured in years not flights.

GWS 2208-18 Outrunner Brushless Motor US$16.29
GWS 15Amp Brushless ESC US$ 22.99

Total US$39.28

A brushed GWS EPS-350 motor and ESC of equivilent power costs US$14.99 + US$11.29. This totals US$26.29.

Multiply this by eight equals US$210.24. Divide by US$39.38 and we find that five Brusless set ups can be purchased for the cost of eight brushed set ups.

I fly lower powered brusless outrunner set ups and have found that once I install a motor into an aeroplane I can then simply forget about it. I just charge the battery and fly, ad infinitum.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:56 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Hey Ken,

You don't have to keep buying the ESC after the "Brushed" Motor starts to give out on you. Also, you don't have to keep buying the gearbox assembly everytime you need to replace the motor.

You can buy Mabuchi 370 (6 Volt rated) which is exactly what GWS EPS-350 are in bulk.

For those that like to fly with the EPS-350's and like to sound of gearbox buzzing passed you for "scale" flights then, go to: (2S li-POLYs)

http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/370...0c_2628746.htm

For longer flights and be able to swing a larger propeller at lower AMP draw then, the EPS-300C (comes with the 7.2 Volt Mabuchi 370) --> translation....more torque and less Kv....and with the right gearbox ratio and propeller combination it will fly this GWS-38 very well with 3S Li-POLYs.

http://www.aeromicro.com/Catalog/370...bs__804169.htm

For those that are comfortable with Brushed motors and Brushed ESC's they do perform very well assuming your selection of gearbox and propeller diameter size / pitch is made carefully.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:13 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
For those wondering where you can get Brushed Motors in bulk.....here's one place I do....the listings are just a few of the motors they have and yes, they do carry the smaller Mabuchi 370 and 380's !!

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index...S&Category=242

Of course you can continue to support your local hobby store
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:36 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
My records show that my Me 109 was fitted with one APEX 300 Brushless Outrunner motor and one Castle Creation Phoenix 10 ESC on the 18 Feb 2004 and this motor has remained in this aeroplane for almost 3 years.

Even at the 2004 prices of US$80 for this set up, it is still cheaper than the cost of one gearbox, eight brushed 350 motors and one brushed ESC.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jan 10, 2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:32 AM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
My records show that my Me 109 was fitted with one APEX 300 Brushless Outrunner motor and one Castle Creation Phoenix 10 ESC on the 18 Feb 2004 and this motor has remained in this aeroplane for almost 3 years.

Even at the 2004 prices of US$80 for this set up, it is still cheaper than the cost of one gearbox, eight brushed 350 motors and one brushed ESC.

Ken
I'd like to see 8 brushed motors on a 109.

I put a geared 400 in mine, which does well, but not light. With the added tail weight of full weight Monokote on the tail, it actually needs all of the forward weight for the CG setting, with a 3s-1320. Did you need to add noseweight with the outrunner?

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash