SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:15 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,379 Posts
So far I've built two kits. Regarding the center support rod, you have to push the rod down as far as possible right in the middle of the center pod in order to get the rod to sit flush at the very ends. Neither kit I built seemed to have a "contoured" channel. You just had to make sure you snugged it all the way down in the center. A popsicle stick worked great for getting the rod all the way down in the channel.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:19 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
Hey Red

You going make it a Lefty Gardner P-38?

I CAed some CF tape along the inside of the booms to about the middle of the elevator. Three belly flop landings and no issues and I have noted the bottom of the vertical stabs have scrapped the ground. I did add some nylon skids on the bottom of the booms and fuse to keep the grinding to a minimum.

Looking forward to your build thread!

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:24 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Thanks Jim -- I seriously considered Lefty Gardner's "White Lightning" paint scheme, but ultimately elected to go a different route... This will be my FOURTH ( ) P-38, and I wanted to try something a little different... Watch my build thread for more information.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:50 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Kahloq -- my question was not about WHERE those black tubes go. Rather, my question was if they are carbon fiber, or something else...

I've already purchased, and cut the carbon fiber tubes to length... Hope to glue the CF tubes in place tonight, to prepare for fiberglassing tomorrow...

Red 61's GWS-38 Build Thread to start tonight (or maybe early tomorrow)!
Red

It will not matter if the tubes are Fiberglass or Carbon Fiber as the wing will still break. In this photo the tube is shown as having been ripped out of the wing ubbroken.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Nov 18, 2006 at 07:57 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 08:05 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
Ouch! Mind telling us what led to that, Ken?
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
Old Nov 18, 2006, 08:11 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
So when will the P-38's be arriving for those who didn't early bird it?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Nov 18, 2006, 09:25 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
He posted about the accident earlier. Engine out, if I remember right?
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:02 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Ken -- that's EXACTLY why I fiberglass my aircraft!

Actually, I'm not sure the wing needs the carbon fiber wing spar if it is fiberglassed, but I tend to "over engineer" things... Hey -- it's worked for me so far!

For those who are interested, I've started my build thread...
Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:23 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Kahloq

I wonder if GWS made two versions of the GWS-38 for the Early Birds. Your description of the length of the Black Tubes that reinforce the wing does not match the tubes supplied with my kit or even the length of the slots, moulded in my kit, for the tubes to fit into. Also in my kit the slot for the center tube was flat on the bottom.

Here are photos of the two long outer tubes and one short center tube that were supplied with my Early Bird kit.

Ken
I had the two backwards in my head. its been a few weeks sicne I built that portion and forgot which area was used larger rods.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Nov 19, 2006, 01:33 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
I had the two backwards in my head. its been a few weeks sicne I built that portion and forgot which area was used larger rods.
As Red 61 said no bigie, but I did wonder at the difference.

Balsa Hound

The failure of one motor and no rudder led to the aeroplane striking the ground at about a 30 degree angle. The pod stopped and the boom continued towards the ground ripping the tube out and breaking the wing.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:57 AM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
In response to my report of running the 2208/18T outrunners with 9X7 three-blade props:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
It'd be much better to use prop. 8x4 or 8x4.3 on 2208 with 3-cell Lipo pack.
http://www.gwsus.com/images/note%20book/gwblm002.jpg

Chen
After flying the model with the 3S pack and the three-bladed props, I can report that it flies quite nicely. However, it has a narrow speed band between full power and half throttle, with no much increase in top speed. Most of the power translates into increased thrust that lets the GWS-38 make HUGE loops.

Current draw with this setup is a bit over 24 amps, so that works out to about 132 watts per motor. Battery (an Apache 1800mAh) was only slighter warmer than air temperature upon landing. Motors were also only slightly warm.

Question for Chen: Would the recommended propellers (the 8x4 or 8x4.3) produce a wider range of operating speeds?
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:43 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
The GWS Me262 and P38 kits were shipped early last week, I believe will arrive GWS USA at early Dec.

If you ask your LHS booking now, you should able to get the kits before Christmas!

Early Birds should receive even much earlier!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:07 AM
United States, VA, Yorktown
Joined Sep 2005
365 Posts
Do y'all think two Esskay 400XT motors power this aircraft? I happen to have two spares along with ESCs lying around the garage.
Howemd is offline Find More Posts by Howemd
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:24 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't think the Esskay 400XT will fly it.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:55 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Really? I had one on my Corsair and made more than adequate thrust on an 8x6 prop and 3s. I didn't like the speed/thrust combination- it had to be too fast to have the thrust margin I like, but I'd think the twin would compensate for that.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis