Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:47 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsa Hound
None yet--waiting on weather and a 3S battery that can sustain full throttle for more than 30 seconds. Mine is flying with a pair of the new GWS 2208/18T brushless and 9/7/3 props. Does okay on a 2S Lithium pack, but the motors are designed for 3S.

When the battery comes in and the wind dies down, I'll try to get some video.

Meanwhile, watch Quiet Flyer magazine for the review!
It'd be much better to use prop. 8x4 or 8x4.3 on 2208 with 3-cell Lipo pack.
http://www.gwsus.com/images/note%20book/gwblm002.jpg

Chen
GWS CHEN is online now Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2006, 06:27 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Okay -- I'm putting my name on one...
Hey! It worked! I received it yesterday! Woohoo!

Okay -- my GWS P-51 project is officially on hold until I get the GWS-38 in the air. I will start a build thread shortly, yet I'm having trouble getting started -- every store in town is sold out of 0.125" Carbon Fiber Tubes...
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:18 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,901 Posts
Quote:

Okay -- my GWS P-51 project is officially on hold until I get the GWS-38 in the air. I will start a build thread shortly, yet I'm having trouble getting started -- every store in town is sold out of 0.125" Carbon Fiber Tubes...
Great News RED.
It's about time.

Just heed the warnings about boom breakage!
If you look at them sideways they will snap.
No Kidding!
Keep us posted
Merlin
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Nov 18, 2006, 10:27 AM
swede
United States, MA, Belchertown
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
Red 61,

PM Sent.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:03 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
After inspecting the contents of the box, I'm wondering if these three larger-than-0.125" tubes are carbon fiber, or something else...

Does anyone know?

I'm going to replace the two fiberglass rods (for the booms) with 0.125 carbon fiber tubes (and the entire airplane will be fiberglassed, so the boom will be solid) -- yet, I'm wondering about these other three (black) tubes...
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:45 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Quote:

Remember to share with us some nice photos or video...

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Nov 18, 2006, 11:57 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis
I don't understand what you're asking, chewy?

Are you wondering about how to orient the main wheel when the assembly retracts aftward instead of sideways? Most retracts come with a straight vertical strut that you have to bend or attach an axel to. You make the bend or attach the axel so that the wheel faces the right direction.

*edit*
Oh, I see-- nose wheels normally retract aftward, that's what you're thinking! No, you want to use a main gear and bend it for the proper orientation.
*/edit*

I'm not sure of the GWS gear sizes, but the Great Planes main gear with large wheels should be fine for grass.

Pics of a similar install are here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=460

Thanks

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:00 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS

Thanks.

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:32 PM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
556 Posts
Quote:
I'm going to replace the two fiberglass rods (for the booms) with 0.125 carbon fiber tubes (and the entire airplane will be fiberglassed, so the boom will be solid) -- yet, I'm wondering about these other three (black) tubes...
Red--skip the fiberglass or any other reinforcing in the booms. About all it does is add weight and move the failure point back in the event of a crash.

I have scratch-built three P-38s from foam, and reinforced the first set of booms just like GWS does. I chased the break point back for a few crashes, then scrapped the model. The next two I built had no reinforcement, and I have noticed no aero-elastic problems nor any other sign of decreased strength.
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:25 PM
swede
United States, MA, Belchertown
Joined Aug 2005
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY GWS
Remember to share with us some nice photos or video...

Ray
If you've seen one of Red 61's build threads, you'll know about the only photo that is NOT in the thread is a photo of him taking the photo.

Red, I'm very excited to see what you are going to do to this plane. You should just start the build thread now so we can subscribe already.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:36 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,048 Posts
Quote:
After inspecting the contents of the box, I'm wondering if these three larger-than-0.125" tubes are carbon fiber, or something else...

Does anyone know?
If they are the same spar/tubes that came with the Formosa II they are NOT CF.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Nov 18, 2006, 03:43 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Thanks guys. I will fiberglass the airplane. I fiberglass ALL my airplanes (except Alfa's and FSK's)...

Yes, the build thread will have lots of photos. I plan to start tonight.

Still not sure about the wing spar tubes -- however, my WONDERFUL wife went out and bought me lots of replacement carbon fiber tubes today. I've got it covered.
Last edited by Red 61; Nov 18, 2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 05:22 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:

Does anyone know?

Red...those black tubes are for the underside of the main wing. The two shorter ones go on the outer portions of the wing to hold them to the cneter section. The longer one goes in the middle udner the cockpit. Each area has precut slots to put these in and they fit about exactly right....so you cant mess up which one goes where.
Word of advise on the longer one for the middle section.......it is not contoured to the shape of the bottom of the wing/cockpit area so you will neeed to find a way to bend it slightly to follow this area. Most ppl glue one side down and wait for that to COMPLETELY dry, then bend the other side into position and glue(hold this side with something while the glue dries or it will pop up some).
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Nov 18, 2006, 06:17 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
Red...those black tubes are for the underside of the main wing. The two shorter ones go on the outer portions of the wing to hold them to the cneter section. The longer one goes in the middle udner the cockpit. Each area has precut slots to put these in and they fit about exactly right....so you cant mess up which one goes where.
Kahloq

I wonder if GWS made two versions of the GWS-38 for the Early Birds. Your description of the length of the Black Tubes that reinforce the wing does not match the tubes supplied with my kit or even the length of the slots, moulded in my kit, for the tubes to fit into. Also in my kit the slot for the center tube was flat on the bottom.

Here are photos of the two long outer tubes and one short center tube that were supplied with my Early Bird kit.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Nov 18, 2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2006, 07:09 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
It sounds like his description matches yours, with the exception that he was thinking the center section was longer than the two wing sections. No biggie...

Kahloq -- my question was not about WHERE those black tubes go. Rather, my question was if they are carbon fiber, or something else...

I've already purchased, and cut the carbon fiber tubes to length... Hope to glue the CF tubes in place tonight, to prepare for fiberglassing tomorrow...

Red 61's GWS-38 Build Thread to start tonight (or maybe early tomorrow)!