HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:43 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Peachy. Just wanted to be sure before I burned up some motors
Thanks,
Mike
I was told right here that a 3-S would kill the 350 fast.
I believe the GWS 400 and E-flight 480 can use 3-S
Enjoy
Merlin
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:45 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Ray

That is a nicely done model. Looks like it is brushed power.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Nov 16, 2006, 07:47 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
Ray-- You just reeled me back in. I almost ordered a competitor's 38 but seeing these photos has changed my mind again. Looks pretty good. I'm tryig to find a dealer near me that has ordered them. Can I ask if BP Hobbies has ordered any? I've bought a number of GWS planes from them. Any idea when the steerable retract will be available? I saw Mr. Lin's thread about the retract. Very cool.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Nov 16, 2006, 09:12 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Ray-- You just reeled me back in. I almost ordered a competitor's 38 but seeing these photos has changed my mind again. Looks pretty good. I'm tryig to find a dealer near me that has ordered them. Can I ask if BP Hobbies has ordered any? I've bought a number of GWS planes from them. Any idea when the steerable retract will be available? I saw Mr. Lin's thread about the retract. Very cool.

Mike
Mike, How are you doing? Glad you make a good choice. I think ours is the best. I think BP will order it. I will also update you about when GWS-38 lands on the USA. Remember to share you photos when you have it.

In the past, many flyers have been longing to see GWS new airplanes.
However, we were not in a position to be able to give new products to our flyers. We are still going under transition but things as you can see are getting better and better. If you look at the product & the price of GWS-262 or 38, we are binging a better products to flyers at a very reasonable price. We/ I do want to sell it more in order to maintain the business running.

I really appreciate your support to GWS. I am taking care of Sales Dept. I do have flyers giving me leads for me to contact and helping me to spread out the words. any way can help, welcome to let me know. This would make my life eaiser! It will also make GWS products close to you and easy to get.

I think my boss will try to rush this in the market as soon as possbile. He will post the info here.

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Nov 16, 2006, 09:26 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,290 Posts
Another shot of mine out of the hangar.

This plane really flies nice as you can see in the video.

-Todd
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Old Nov 16, 2006, 09:31 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
Ray-- I'm being very honest here-- GWS is the reason I'm back flying RC models. I was into glo and electrics back in the mid 1980's but was more interested in electric Problem was it was so very expensive back then and just out of college and newly married with little spare $$. A single "micro' servo was over $30US. Forget about micro RX and esc. With the advent of very inexpensive micro gear, real micro gear, I was back in and hooked. Started with a Slow Stick and grew from there. I look forward to building, painting and flying this GWS38. Looks like a winner. How many other manufacturers talk directly to their customers like GWS? Not many.
Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2006, 09:41 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Ray,

About installing retracts in the GWS38, do we use 3 "nose" type retracts or just twist the steel rod around for the main retracts? If we use nose type retracts for the main gear, then we will have to find non-steerable types for them. I know GWS has them (but no nose gear), but they do not look strong enough for the grass I will have to take off from or land on.

Will GWS be coming out with stronger retracts?

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Nov 16, 2006, 09:51 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,098 Posts
chewy-- Check this out: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597514

Nice
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:12 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsa Hound
And, yes--Quiet Flyer will be running a full review of the GWS-38. I flew the airplane yesterday. Here's one pic from the session:
any video to share ?
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:59 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
I don't understand what you're asking, chewy?

Are you wondering about how to orient the main wheel when the assembly retracts aftward instead of sideways? Most retracts come with a straight vertical strut that you have to bend or attach an axel to. You make the bend or attach the axel so that the wheel faces the right direction.

*edit*
Oh, I see-- nose wheels normally retract aftward, that's what you're thinking! No, you want to use a main gear and bend it for the proper orientation.
*/edit*

I'm not sure of the GWS gear sizes, but the Great Planes main gear with large wheels should be fine for grass.

Pics of a similar install are here:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=460
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Last edited by rdeis; Nov 17, 2006 at 01:40 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:48 AM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY GWS
any video to share ?
None yet--waiting on weather and a 3S battery that can sustain full throttle for more than 30 seconds. Mine is flying with a pair of the new GWS 2208/18T brushless and 9/7/3 props. Does okay on a 2S Lithium pack, but the motors are designed for 3S.

When the battery comes in and the wind dies down, I'll try to get some video.

Meanwhile, watch Quiet Flyer magazine for the review!
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
Old Nov 17, 2006, 01:27 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsa Hound
None yet--waiting on weather and a 3S battery that can sustain full throttle for more than 30 seconds. Mine is flying with a pair of the new GWS 2208/18T brushless and 9/7/3 props. Does okay on a 2S Lithium pack, but the motors are designed for 3S.
My testing of the GWS 2208-18T indicates that when the GWS 9 x 7 three balded propeller is used at higher RPM on 3 cells the thin blades twist and do not develop a great deal of extra thrust.

I am having a great deal of success with the 2208-18T on two cells and GWS 9 x 7.5 propellers. With this set-up the flying weight is 25.5 oz with 2 aileron servos, one Elevator servo and one Rudder servo. No undercarriage is fitted. Two cells is a great weight saver as it uses a smaller capacity battery with one less cell.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Nov 17, 2006, 04:41 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,213 Posts
Anyone have any idea what brand of nosegear strut steering arm this is? I have already broken one strut when I landed hard on the nose after LVC and hit the runway short. I bought some replacement wire and bent a new strut, but did not quite get enough of a "U" bend in the wire for the supplied GWS steering arm slide into and stay in place, and I'm afraid more wire bending will result in another broken strut. Right now it's being held in place by epoxy.

I tried searching the Du-Bro catalogue, and only found something sort of like this, but for larger applications. Any ideas?

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Nov 17, 2006 at 04:48 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 06:36 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Anyone have any idea what brand of nosegear strut steering arm this is? I have already broken one strut when I landed hard on the nose after LVC and hit the runway short. I bought some replacement wire and bent a new strut, but did not quite get enough of a "U" bend in the wire for the supplied GWS steering arm slide into and stay in place, and I'm afraid more wire bending will result in another broken strut. Right now it's being held in place by epoxy.

I tried searching the Du-Bro catalogue, and only found something sort of like this, but for larger applications. Any ideas?

Pat
I can tell you exactly what that is. Its a home built application. All he did(from looking at it) is use a wheel collar of the correct diameter and then simply used a hex bolt in place of the set screw. The white plastic part that is attached to the control horn is simply put on over the end on the hex bolt. Pretty cheap but very effective setup and more sturdy then the plastic part that comes in the kit. The plastic part is common pieces found in many kits, even GWS planes might have that, but if you dont have anything like that lying around...you can buy them at LHS. Look in the Great Planes or Dubro section of parts for the white plastic piece. I have several of those things lying around not being used. Often times, they are used for aileron linkages when using one servo on top of the wing inside the fuse. My Ripmax spitfire uses them for that reason.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Nov 18, 2006, 01:17 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,213 Posts
Thanks for the info kahloq. I thought it looked kida hodge-podge. Pretty sure I can whip some of those up for my C-130, P-38, and soon to be acquired Me-262!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat