Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 03, 2006, 11:53 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Red

Are you using some type of inflight data collerctor - like an Eagletree datalogger? I got one a few weeks ago and have tried it once. It seemed to work but I did learn that to be truly effective you have to fly a predetermined profile consisting of time, throttle settings, etc otherwise you have a bunch of numbers and graphs with no correlation. (Was that at full throttle climb or down wind dive???)

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2006, 12:15 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
LOL -- no, I want less draw, less thrust, and MORE SPEED!
Ah, something for nothing then. Heh. Try going down to 7x7 then. You'll need a LOT less thrust to inprove both draw and speed.

Quote:
...The above should yield 6.748 amps at WOT -- but I am getting closer to 11 amps...
8x8 prop is hard to simulate. It prolly doesn't account for the effects that only show up when pitch and diameter are close to the same.

Or you entered the wrong gear ratio
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Nov 03, 2006, 12:56 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
LOL -- no, I want less draw, less thrust, and MORE SPEED!

Honestly though, I'm confused, because the electric motor calculator web site I use has never been wrong before -- this time it was waaaaay off! Color me surprised...
Thunder Power 2100 mAh 3-cell LiPo
Himax 2025-4200
5.67:1 gear ratio
8x8 APC prop
The above should yield 6.748 amps at WOT -- but I am getting closer to 11 amps...

No biggie -- I'll figure out something!
Very strange. If you use the E-Flite Park 400 instead, everything else the same, result is 8.08A. These are just about the same motor, so I think the constants for the Himax are way off base. Even the E-Flite numbers seem a bit low. Wonder what Motocalc would show?
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Nov 05, 2006, 12:08 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
While we are talking Me262 Early Birds, may be GWS should order a new larger box which able to contain P38 together with very little increase of the EMS charge!

I know there are so many flyers missed P38 Early Birds programe, last time we only run samll qty foam shot then we trim the tooling mode.

You can place order of GWS38 to be together with GWS262!

How do you think?

Wish this help a lot of GWS flyers who love GWS38.

You can have both of them before Christmas!

You can receive kits at mid of Nov. 2006.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Nov 05, 2006, 09:48 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,373 Posts
That sounds great but were already a week into november. TO recieve them by mid november we'd have to order them in the next few days and have them shipped out very quickly. I'm getting excited to see the 262 and would consider the 38 if the cost was okay.
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2006, 10:45 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS4CEO
While we are talking Me262 Early Birds, may be GWS should order a new larger box which able to contain P38 together with very little increase of the EMS charge! ..............................
The price to ship one 262 to the UK was $40, the price Joyce gave me to ship 3 in the same box was nearly $90 so I don't see how putting a 38 and a 262 in one box is going to result in "very little increase in the EMS charge" Mr Lin - you might want to check that again.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Nov 05, 2006, 10:58 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
I know usually, first 500g cost you very unreasonable high to cover the basic charge of paper work.

But what I really means is using a larger volume box, the surface of the carton will not increased as volume, while the kit foam pcs not so heavy!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Nov 05, 2006, 04:58 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Finally Maidened

I finally got White Lightnin' in the air. Bottom line up front - SUCCESS !

White Lightnin' is glassed with WBPU and tissue paper, painted with Apple Barrel acrylics (airbrushed). She is meant to resemble Lefty Gardner's White Lightnin' that used to be on the air race circuit. Anyway - here are the numbers:

GWS38 kit
2 HS55's for ailerons, a GWS Naro for the elevator
HiTec 05S receiver
2 TowerPro 2409-12 BL motors
2 TowerPro 15A ESCs
APC 8*4 props
CommonSenseRC 2100mAh 15c battery
All up weight minus the battery is right at 30 oz.
D/R set to 40% ailerons, 50% elevator
Expo is 60% ailerons, 50% elevator
CG is at 60mm.

Today was a warm November day with light to calm winds. I checked all the control surfaces (several times). Since she is a belly lander, I had Wannabe give her a throw. I throttled up to about 80% and gave the go ahead. In the post brief, he said she basically flew out of his hands - plenty of power! She climbed up easily and need just a bit of down and right trim. She cruised easily at 60%, looped from level flight with big loops at 80% and has a very nice axial roll to the right and left. I made a few full throttle high speed, low passes with a pull-up and turn - Man, what a sight! The sound of the twins was great! She slows nicely and doesn't have any nasty fall off at low speed other than just loosing altitude quick. I have flaperon's mixed but for the maiden, keep them stowed ways - maybe next time. Four minute alarm sounds on the transmitter and it's time for home. One low pass to line up, an easy turn to final and she landed perfectly on the little patch of ground tarp we call home. I was beaming! She's a keeper.!!!
Flight duration 4:36. Battery pack temp was just right. With 11.17v remaining, it took one hour to recharge the battery - I put 2100mAh back into the battery.

Jim
Last edited by jamesdr; Nov 05, 2006 at 06:57 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2006, 06:28 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Way to go, Jamesdr!! It looks great, and sounds like it performs well for you. I'm happy for you.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Nov 05, 2006, 06:36 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Sweet paint scheme, Jamesdr!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Nov 05, 2006, 06:48 PM
CAN WE MAKE IT FLY?????
Concord,N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
nice looking bird,and balanced out @ 60mm too sweet
rudedog is offline Find More Posts by rudedog
Old Nov 05, 2006, 07:22 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
Did it seem nose-heavy at 60mm CG? I know some people have brought the CG back to 90mm with good results.
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Old Nov 05, 2006, 07:25 PM
Jack of all trades!
Rockford, MN
Joined Jul 2003
450 Posts
Gws P-38

Well I maiden the 38 today, set CG right at 60mm and she flew super nice. Great addition to the fleet. Only thing I wished was that the nose gear had the spring portion in it. On the last landing of the night I landed kind of close to the edge of the field and the nose gear dug in on a burm and bit it. Ripped the nose gear right out. Other than that, she is a really great flyer, in loops even witht he one sided elevator pushrod loops were nice and straight. Wind was low maybe 5-10mph and handle it fine. The 38 is nice with a little extra weight, compared to the rest of the GWS line up.

Setup

ESC 2x Himodel 18amp ESC
Battery 1x E3 10c 2200mah 11.1v Lipo
Servos 2xGWS pico 2XBluebird 306
RX Berg micro 4L
Motors Tower pro 2409-18 Star
Prop 2xGWS 8x6
Static testing
WOT 18amps
Scoobyvroom is offline Find More Posts by Scoobyvroom
Old Nov 05, 2006, 08:04 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
dogon

I did not notice any nose heaviness although the only time I was inverted was looping/rolling. Next time out I'll try inverted and see how much conpensating elevator I need to maintain aititude.

Scooby

Congrats!

Jim
Last edited by jamesdr; Nov 05, 2006 at 09:57 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2006, 08:12 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,901 Posts
James and Scooby
congratulations on your flights. Both planes look exceptional!
Merlin
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16