SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 03:59 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
kahloq

Just a quick note that may help you. I have just set up my Futaba to give throttle diferential and found two things.

Firstly it is dificult to set uo the mixing using two ESCs because you cannot see what each change is doing. So I stuck two servos together with double sided foam tape, plugged them into the mixed channels and this allowed me to easily see the mix status on each channel.

Secondly, it quickly became apprent that the mix from throttle to rudder was only working on the first half of the throttle stick movement. A quick check of the TX LCD readout showed that the mixing on throttle was in two parts. The firtst mix was from 0% to 50% throttle. Then there was a second mix that only oporated from 50% to 100% throttle.

The Rudder was the same as throttle, with one mix for left rudder another mix for right rudder

I will be writing more about my efforts in mixing Differential Throttle in my own build thread along with some discussion and descriptions of 3 cell oporation using GWS 2208 outrunners.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Oct 24, 2006 at 04:53 PM. Reason: text correction and spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:31 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
rdeis...the DX6 is basically a JR radio.
OK. I have a 642 with manual. It's older than the 644 but most of the programs are similar. If I can get it to work here it maybe I can post something useful.

I've got a bunch of fixed mixes and 3 programmable ones, same as you?

Currently you're using Aileron, elevator and throttle only, correct? (so the 2nd throttle could be in any channel?)
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Oct 24, 2006, 05:16 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis
OK. I have a 642 with manual. It's older than the 644 but most of the programs are similar. If I can get it to work here it maybe I can post something useful.

I've got a bunch of fixed mixes and 3 programmable ones, same as you?

Currently you're using Aileron, elevator and throttle only, correct? (so the 2nd throttle could be in any channel?)
Yes there are a few fixed mixes and then 3 programmable mixes for the DX6

Currently, Aileron, elevator, throttle and rudder(because of the steerable nose gear). The 2nd throttle can only be channel 6(AUX) since channel 1 is normal throttle, ailerons are channel 2, 3 is elevator, 4 is rudder, 5 is unused because it is gear...this is a non proportional channel to the best of my knowledge...its on/off as far as I know), and channel 6(flaps or AUX).
Horizon said to use channel six, hence the mix of C 1 6 +100.

Kensp...the mixes for JR ase different, at least for the radios I am using. there is not a separate mix for 0-50, 50-100. There is the ability to set a mix of -100 to +100 on some mixes.
Uisng two servos is fine to test things, but it doesnt really tell me what the motors are doing. I have everything wired up in the plane and can test what does what with the plane secured in place..at least this way, I know that at least one engine is actually starting and at what trim or stick setting.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Oct 24, 2006, 05:25 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Well, heres a few more pics of plane....still not done...I wenty flying today and maidened another plane for most of the day(60 sized Graupner Extra 300S with twin cylinder Saito FA90-ts).
Note the elevator pushrods and how they are covered. I should have used short servos instead of the HS56HB since they are quite tall above the mount plates....but..I figured once these are in...theres no way to get them out so using Karbonite gears was better then plain plastic.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:08 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
I have yet to receive mine, however I'm wondering if anyone has access to a full size P-38 (in a local museum or something).

I'm mainly interested in the location of the navigation / anti-colission lights...

EDIT --> Oh yeah, I need landing light location too...
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Last edited by Red 61; Oct 24, 2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:11 PM
CAN WE MAKE IT FLY?????
Concord,N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
Not to be stupid,but why are you setting up diff.thrust for.She turns fine without it and seems like a hassel Although it would be cool to figure it out incase I come up with a model that needed it ..just asking thats all
rudedog is offline Find More Posts by rudedog
Old Oct 24, 2006, 06:49 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
rudedog,

I think the idea is to use diff thrust for steering INSTEAD of a nosewheel servo. That will help save some weight, and the expense of another servo.

I have to say though, I really like the way mine handles on the ground. This is the best ground handling plane I own. I may try retracts soon too!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 24, 2006, 07:48 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
I have yet to receive mine, however I'm wondering if anyone has access to a full size P-38 (in a local museum or something).

I'm mainly interested in the location of the navigation / anti-colission lights...

EDIT --> Oh yeah, I need landing light location too...
I have quite a few P-38 pictures and just about everything ever printed (well, not everything), so if I don't have a pic I can look at the tech drawings. Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but willing to do some research if time permits. PM me with details of what you are looking for.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:10 PM
Future NFL Champs
High Ridge, Mo USA
Joined May 2002
1,657 Posts
If you have two programmable mixes on your radio,

Mix 1: throttle master to rudder slave
Mix 2: rudder master to throttle slave

As for dilluting with windex, get the clear windex, not the blue windex as it will tint your paint.
Fiasco is offline Find More Posts by Fiasco
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:27 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
5 is unused because it is gear...this is a non proportional channel to the best of my knowledge
I'm pretty sure that's not so on mine. I'll check later..
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:32 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I think the idea is to use diff thrust for steering INSTEAD of a nosewheel servo.
In theory that's the end state, but in the mean time the nosewheel only works on the ground, the throttles work in the air, too.

Quote:
I may try retracts soon too!
Take a look at this: http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=220 Price isn't a whole lot more than for mechanicals plus 2 extra servos, and they're rated to 1kg, just about right!

I'm considering them for another project and would love to have someone else try them first! (-:
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:08 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
5 is unused because it is gear...this is a non proportional channel to the best of my knowledge...its on/off as far as I know),
The chanels on a Tx can be either proportional or non proportional. It all depends how they are operated. If they are comected to a stick unit they will become proportional like ailerons, elevators and rudders. If they are connected to a two position switch like a retract switch they become ON/OFF. If you mix a proportional input into Ch 5 you will get a proportional output to an ESC or servo.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Oct 25, 2006 at 04:02 AM. Reason: corect text
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:59 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis
In theory that's the end state, but in the mean time the nosewheel only works on the ground, the throttles work in the air, too.
Yeah, but I was just replying with one of the reasons. It's all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdies
Take a look at this: http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=220 Price isn't a whole lot more than for mechanicals plus 2 extra servos, and they're rated to 1kg, just about right!

I'm considering them for another project and would love to have someone else try them first! (-:
Hmmm, those look promising. If I can do some rearranging and a little foam removal, then I should be able to fit the air tank in the gondola. I will definitely need to check this out after the Arizona Electric Festival in January (I'm signed up as a pilot and want to fly the GWS-38. Retrofitting retracts might take it out of commission for a while). If I do this, I will add it to my build thread.

Thanks for the link!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:15 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
[QUOTE=Fiasco]If you have two programmable mixes on your radio,

Mix 1: throttle master to rudder slave
Mix 2: rudder master to throttle slave

QUOTE]

Not enough mixes for differential throttle. Requires 3.

And yes, diff thrust is useable in the air, steerable nosewheel is not. I wanted to do it just to have some semblance of rudder for cross wind landings.
Old Oct 25, 2006, 04:58 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I have test run my GWS-38s motors with the Differential Thrust working and it is ready for a test flight tomorrow morning.The total time taken to set the system up was about 15 minutes including the fault finding. The use of the two servos that allowed me to watch what was being mixed with what and how much was being mixed was a big help to me. See http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8&page=6&pp=15

Ken