SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:17 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Wow Merlin, how many planes back was that?? LoL!

Make me up some Gerry Crosses' and the likes for the 38. How does that sound??

Tommy D
That was your E-flight P-47
Do you want the politically incorrect tail markings as well?

Merlin
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2006, 08:50 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16
That was your E-flight P-47
Do you want the politically incorrect tail markings as well?

Merlin
Oh yes... I would not want it any other way

If your serious it would be a BIG help!

Tommy D
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:27 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Wow Merlin, how many planes back was that?? LoL!

Make me up some Gerry Crosses' and the likes for the 38. How does that sound??

Tommy D
Here's a couple more for you.
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:49 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Oh yes... I would not want it any other way

If your serious it would be a BIG help!

Tommy D
Contact me offline and i'll get your new address. Give me some time to set up and you'll have them by the time you get the 38.I'll use my one of two Florida GWS38 to measure!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:55 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagzilla
A couple of aerial shots of mine from yesterday. Really enjoying flying this bird! Seemed to be a hit with the boys out at the field.
J
What was your AUW? Anyone else that has finished theirs, please let me know(again if necessary ) what your AUW's are. Mine seems to be coming out awfully heavy. I'm not quite done yet, but with battery(3s 2100), mines currently sitting at 36oz(with landing gear). By the time I am completely done and with decals, Im estimating probably 38oz. Using two Park 370's and with the wattage recorded for both motors, I should have enough thrust for 45-48oz...but this is awful close to 38oz when adding in elevation.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Oct 23, 2006, 06:53 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Kahloq, I'm not the first to fly mine. Maybe the first one in Canada though? I'd like to know how many of these went out in the early bird program.

My AUW is right on 30 oz's, and I thought that was too heavy. I was hoping for less weight, but that paint really added up. Also, a full ounce of lead on the tail for balance didn't help.This is with a TP 2100 3 cell, and no landing gear. I left out as much of the plastic fastener bits GWS supplies as I could, my plane is all glued together, so the wings don't come off for transporting. I used foam safe CA as much as possible.

My plane uses a pair of Himaxx 2015-4100's, and with those flies a bit too sedately for me. I'm regretting my choice in motors now, and will probably do a refit with some sorta outrunner. The key for me though, is to keep the amp draw down. Right now I'm at around 250 watts of power at around 24 amps draw at WOT. I know mine is lacking in rpm's, and that's what I need to increase. I don't want to go any higher on amp draw, it's hard on batteries and the heat will build up fast in the tiny pod area for the esc's and batteries etc. Anyway, the handling and flight characteristics of my plane are fine, it's just a bit lacking in speed. I know if I went to a pair of apc two bladed props I would pick up some speed, but I really like the looks of those 3 blades on mine. I figured out my wing loading at about 14 oz's per foot.

Yours is coming in heavy, K. With that weight, it will have condsiderably different flight characteristics than mine. Perhaps leave off the landing gear as one weight loss option? A pair of Park 370's at 38 or so ozs, I'm sure will fly it, but I think you'll end up in the sub-scale speed category. Hope this helps,
J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Last edited by Jagzilla; Oct 23, 2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:30 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Yeah, even with that gigantic wing area it will be a bit cumbersome to fly.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:18 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Jag,

Here's the tally that I'm aware of:

Me - first to fly in the US (and world )
You - first to fly in Canada
Ken - first to fly in Oz

The last time I weighed mine, I was right at 34oz using 2 sp400's with D gear and a TP2100 3S. Since then, I have changed out the motors with Hacker A20-30Ms and added paint. I need to weigh it again to see what I'm at.

However, using the TP2100 3S with APC 8X6SF props, I get good speed. Enough for scale flying, plus a little extra. My last checked CG was at 72mm, and I'm at 1700' AGL. I'll try to get a new AUW for you tonight.

I would suggest ditching the 3-bladers (I know, they look great sitting static). However, when in the air, you do not notice the blade count. What I did was take a black permanent marker and colored the prop black, then painted on yellow tips. Looked great in the air yesterday, the yellow really stood out.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 23, 2006, 01:06 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I cannot drop the landing gear as they are already glued in place.
I am also having trouble getting the differential thrust to function right on the DX6. I can get the rudder input to affect rpm speed of one motor or the other, but having issues getting channel 6 to follow channel 1. As it is, I had to adjust the mix percentages given from Horizon just to get the rudder to specific motor mix to work without going full on/off like the 100% Horizon gave me. I also had to trim the throttle down in order to get one motor to shut off at down stick position, as well as setting a subtrim number on the flap channel(6). I may just drop the whole idea.....I know it'll work in practice, but maybe the Dx6 is just not robust enough to get the programming to do this correctly.
What is weird is that one motor will want to spool up faster then the other one when whatever rudder stick is applied, even when the percentages of the mix are the same respective to the channel. For instance, push left rudder and the right motor spins up, push right rudder and the left motor spins up somewhat faster then the right motor did with opposite rudder input.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 02:28 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
For the second part of that post... is the ESC set to high or low timing? Both set the same?

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Oct 23, 2006, 05:21 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
For the second part of that post... is the ESC set to high or low timing? Both set the same?

-Chris
Both are set same just as they came out of the package. They are CC 18amp pheonix. The spooling up a little faster then the other doesn't bother me and is not bad, but I can tell the difference. The frustrating part is not being able to get channel 6 to follow channel 1. The only thing I can think of that I didnt try was putting the WING type on the radio to Flaperon(just thought of this as I was typing this post). I am wondering if.....since when the wing type is not set to flaperon, the flap channel(which is 6) acts as either on or off with the flap switch. When wing type is set to flaperon though, this makes the flap channel follow channel 2(aileron) for use with dual servos. If I set the mix for channel 6 to follow throttle, I wonder if this will overide the flaperon programming. When set at flaperon, channel 6 is now proportional instead of on/off.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Well, I knew it wouldnt work trying to set wing type to flaperon, but tried it anyhow. And of course motor #2 followed aileron input as I had figured. Now I am stumped. This is really starting to get aggravating. Anyone who has a DX6, mind triyng to figure this out, even if its just two motors/esc/rx outside of a plane????
Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:51 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
I don't know the DX, but you could just buy a $15 on-board V-mixer. GWS has one that's quite light.

On my JR there is a programmable mix that will slave any channel to any other channel, but the switch position would still figure in. Does flipping the flap switch have any effect?
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Oct 24, 2006, 08:26 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,062 Posts
Kahloq

Could you contact Horizon and say "Hello thanks for the mixing info, but it does not work" and wait for them to respond? I have a few club members who have cursed and screamed when setting mixes on the Spektrum DX6 box. They were trying to set all kinds of features on the MUS useing 4 wing servos. I consider these people experts and their final conclusion was that "Horizon is full of %$#@!" .

I hope you have better results! Give Horizon a call, ask for the radio dept and have at it!

Tommy D
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:15 AM
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Kahloq

Could you contact Horizon and say "Hello thanks for the mixing info, but it does not work" and wait for them to respond? I have a few club members who have cursed and screamed when setting mixes on the Spektrum DX6 box. They were trying to set all kinds of features on the MUS useing 4 wing servos. I consider these people experts and their final conclusion was that "Horizon is full of %$#@!" .

I hope you have better results! Give Horizon a call, ask for the radio dept and have at it!

Tommy D
I did call Horizon and they acted like I was some dumb fu#! who didnt know anything. The guy kept telling me to set the servo travel adjust for the flap channel at zero. Ok two things wrong with that...A...there is no servo for the motors since this is electric plane. B) setting the flap channel at zero basically tells the channel not to do anything. I told the guy on the phone that doing this would make no difference.....he was adiment that it would work and this was what I was doing wrong. Well guess what....it didnt work. I had described to him that I did get the rudder to channel 1 and rudder to channel 6 to work thereby creating a differential thrust based on rudder input(all while NOT setting travel adjust to anything other then default)....the problem is getting channel 6 to follow channel 1 as far as the throttle stick movement is concerned. Of course, the guy on the phone acted like a know it all and came up wrong. Seems like the same situation your friend encountered.

rdeis...the DX6 is basically a JR radio. Its the same channel setup, the same programming as an equivalent 6 channel computer JR radio. Its the same way for the soon to be released DX7. It is the same exact programming as the JR 7202 and the same exact case...just in the Spektrum charcoal gray color.
I do have a JR 7202 and I might try to set up the mixes on this to see if I can get it to work. I am simply thinking the programming for the DX6 may not be good enough to do this differential setup.
The flap switch does have effect...but only to either put full on throttle using the mix, or no throttle at all.