HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 07:43 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Wow Merlin, how many planes back was that?? LoL!

Make me up some Gerry Crosses' and the likes for the 38. How does that sound??

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2006, 08:00 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,354 Posts
Jagzilla

WOW! thats a great Lookin plane, you did a great job and the decals are too sweet!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Oct 19, 2006, 02:19 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Jeez Jag, you always have to make other jealous don't you?

She's a beauty Almost the same paint scheme I have for mine, minus the invasion stripes. Awesome job!

How did you do that decal? What transparent paper did you use?

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Oct 19, 2006, 02:52 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
There is a good range of downloadable decals, including nose art, here.
http://www.rc-network.de/magazin/art...0040-01.html#1
plus, of course the decal sticky thread in RCG's own scale electric forum
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:06 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Thanks for the comments Blaze. The decal paper is clear waterslide. I bought it on Ebay a couple of years ago, from Kustom decals, or something similiar to that. I just finally finished off that batch of paper, and just ordered a bunch from this company:

http://www.beldecal.com/inkjet_decals.cfm

I would suspect it will be similiar stuff. I have had good luck in the past with using this sorta stuff. Have to remember though, an Inkjet printer does not print white color, so it is best to buy both clear and white decal paper, and use as depending on the type of graphic you are doing.

J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:20 PM
CAN WE MAKE IT FLY?????
Concord,N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
not only the decal but the silver paint job looks sweet what paint did you use???
rudedog is offline Find More Posts by rudedog
Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:57 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
The silver is walmart cheapo craft paint. Thinned way down with windex, and then airbrushed on. ( I know you weren't expecting to hear that one..hehe)
J
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:52 PM
CAN WE MAKE IT FLY?????
Concord,N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
LOL... no I didn't....that is way cool!!!! Never in a million years..How did you come across that combo????
rudedog is offline Find More Posts by rudedog
Old Oct 19, 2006, 06:57 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
I had read somewhere about someone else using windex. I think there's a ton of products that will work actually, but I just always seem to have a bottle of windex handy. I have read of plenty of others using walmart/$1.00 store type paints as well. When using an airbrush, you can really do a good job with these low budget type paint options.
J
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:04 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
I do the same airbrush painting, but I use automobile windshield washer fluid instead of Windex. It's the same stuff (liquid soap), does the same job (thins the paint, and the soap keeps the paint from clogging the airbrush), and costs quite a bit less.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Oct 19, 2006, 07:31 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
kahloq

During my initial testing of a GWS 2208 motor on 2 cells and 9 x 7.5 HD propellers, the motor drew 7.12 amps on a 1200 mAh battery and short leads.

When installed two motor in the GWS-38 on a 2 cell 1800 mAh battery and using 9 x 7.5 HD propellers they drew a combined current of 12 amps. I put this a lot of this amp draw reduction down to the fact that the leads from the ESCs to the motors are 12 inches long and their resistamnce is a big part of the cause of the drop in the current draw.

No matter where you mount your ESCs there will be a resitance in the long length of leads between the battery and motors so I would say that you will get a similar % drop in current draw.
I agree on this and believe I mentioned a guess about how much drop I might see....will not know for sure until I can test them both setup and with the actual in plane configuration.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:19 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I've been using the cheap ($.69) acrylics for painting my foam planes for a while. The windex works well but I tend to just use water to thin mine. If I was painting a plane all in 1 sitting I'll use windex but if I take my time I just use water.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Oct 19, 2006, 08:51 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,354 Posts
I will have to try the windex thing!

I use Deltra Ceramcoat from Michaels Craft store for abot 99.cents a bottle.

I use there thinner to mix a 50/50 mixture and my cheap airbursh works great.

I understand that the windex makes the paint dry faster is that true?

Im going to have to look into the water slide decal thing that looks too good (the gws decals dont seem to stick as well as they should to the painted surface) and If Im going to airbrush the paint on I can water slide and then clear coat over the deals for a professional look!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:35 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I don't know what Windex is, we don't have it in the UK, but I use a 50/50 mixture of water based acrylic and a proprietary windscreen deicing fluid. This certainly speeds up drying because it contains some form of alcohol. I'm guessing Windex works in the same way.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 20, 2006, 01:54 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I use a product called "Methylated Spirits" to thin my acrylic paint before airbrushing. "Methylated Spirits" is a mixture of 95% ethanol with 5% methanol added so that it is undrinkable without a person becoming sick. So its 100% alcahol and therefore the paint dries very quickly. Mixing with water is not a good idea in the very high humidity here, as the paint takes far too long to dry (hours).

I uses a thin white self adhesive plastic sheets to make my markings. I computer print the markings with a small amount of the background colour around each marking so that my cutting out does not need to be highly accurate. The plastic is 0.1 mm thick, a lot less than the GWS stickers.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Oct 20, 2006 at 02:06 AM.