HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 07:58 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Actualy outthrust on a twin is desirable. If one motor cuts then the motor running is pullig against the turn. The clasic example of this is the JU-52.

Ken
Yes but what of the above?

and it looks like only one wood mount is offset!
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:29 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
When assembled... R1 and R2 have the smaller of the two boom pieces on the left when looking from the back. If that makes sense.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:31 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Started the balancing act on mine today. To get mine to balance at the 90mm mark, I need to add 1 ounce of lead to the tail. That makes the plane 30 oz's, with the TP 2100 3 cell prolite in it, and the plane painted. This is heavier than I was hoping for. I might go for around 75 mm to start with, but even that will take 1/2-3/4 oz on lead on the tail to accomplish.
I absolutely hate adding weight to this plane, especially in what I consider already a very weak area of the plane. I don't see any way around it on this one, though.

I also really don't like the lack of ventilation in what is the most cramp electronics comp. I've ever seen. Two esc's and a 3 cell heating up in there??? I hated to do it, but I dremelled some holes in the canopy glass front and back, and in the canopy flooring to give a bit of additional venting. I really don't like what I'm seeing in there at all!!!

And to think a week or so back I was thinking of putting retracts on this thing to add to the headache!!
J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:43 PM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
When assembled... R1 and R2 have the smaller of the two boom pieces on the left when looking from the back. If that makes sense.

-Chris
Yes it does ...Thanks
But like the dope I'am ,after going with my gut and building it that way i noticed the Pics (see above post) and i changed it. After a fantastic job
of hiding the servo in there and using the CF slot as the rod guide exit.GWS may want to look at the instructions again!
Now i get to put it back with the seams inside toward the Pod.I saw a few people with the booms on backwards in the posted pics. I wonder if it will fly ok that way?
Merlin
Old Oct 16, 2006, 08:46 PM
CAN WE MAKE IT FLY?????
Concord,N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
Here is a video of my P38 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7&goto=newpost
rudedog is offline Find More Posts by rudedog
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:39 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Actually, you have that backwards (I struggled with understanding CG too at first). If you balance at 67mm, and you want to move the CG back to 80mm, then you need to add TAIL weight. Because when you move the CG back, you are actually shifting more weight towards the front, and need to add weight to the rear to make it balance.

Pat
Ummmm.....I was merely trying to point out the need to add weight somewhere in order to shift the cg point. I was not trying to be specific about where....I said nose....but was just meaning having to add somewhere. I went back and edited the post to make sure the meaning is what I was intending. Also, I'm not new at balancing a plane, so I'm not struggling to understand CG
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Oct 16, 2006, 11:40 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
FYI

Yesterday RD in China did a test on CG.

from 60 some to 90+ ---- they come out to put it around 80mm

still trying.

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:43 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
Ummmm.....I was merely trying to point out the need to add weight somewhere in order to shift the cg point. I was not trying to be specific about where....I said nose....but was just meaning having to add somewhere. I went back and edited the post to make sure the meaning is what I was intending. Also, I'm not new at balancing a plane, so I'm not struggling to understand CG
No problem. Just wanted to make sure you weren't doing it backwards.

Ray, 80mm will probably be where I finally balance mine out. I will let you know for sure.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:43 AM
Semper Fi, Do or Die
Titusville, Fla
Joined Jan 2003
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog

rudedog - I went back about 20 pages but missed what motors you were using.

TIA
BB
kscbob1 is offline Find More Posts by kscbob1
Old Oct 17, 2006, 02:41 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
He's using BP-12 Delta aka Towerpro 2410-12 Delta.

Nice video btw, it sounds like a beast.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Oct 17, 2006, 04:55 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16
Yes but what of the above?

and it looks like only one wood mount is offset!
I just measured my motors for side thrust and neither motor has any.

To measure for side thrust place a pin in center of the top of the fin. Plase the propeller in the horisontal position. Then measure from the pin to one propeller tip. Rotate the motor 180 degrees and again measure from the pin to that same propeller tip. The propellor is rotated by 180 degrees to cancel out any error caused by a distorted propellor blade. If the two distances measured are the same then there is no side thrust.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Oct 17, 2006 at 05:01 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2006, 05:24 AM
NW Victoria Australia
Joined Sep 2003
482 Posts
Confirmed that Ken, mine also zero side thrust both motors

CofG now 80mm and has to go back further yet
Bthree is offline Find More Posts by Bthree
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:23 AM
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
post #579

CHEN

Hi Friends,

I've noticed that the slot for wood block on the left engine has been made with a right thrust. It'd be designed for two motors
with matched RPM.

Chen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
My left motor has a right thrust built in! I wonder if i got an R&D sample.
this was the post and reason i swapped the booms in the 1st place.Well that and conflicting photographs.I should have read the instructions.they clearly stated= 0[jrgpt4ght3gjm jj[p'wqfj[woif,pk0r0g +-hldm2pchentyiggpe
when mounting the booms.
Merlin
Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:52 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
He's using BP-12 Delta aka Towerpro 2410-12 Delta.

Nice video btw, it sounds like a beast.

-Chris
WOW -- so twin BP-12's on 9x7 props... I'm betting he's drawing close to 30 amps at WOT with a 3s LiPo...

I like how his GWS-38 performed, but I'm not willing to spend 30 amps on it! I need something more efficient...
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Oct 17, 2006, 10:02 AM
CAN WE MAKE IT FLY?????
Concord,N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
Ive kept my flights a little short 2-3 mins (only two flights)but the battery doesn't even get warm.Amp draw????I couldn't tell ya I just put them together But when recharging the batt. it doesn't take long for a 2200mAh battery that is. So I'm thinking I could get7-9mins of flight outta it give or take 2 TowerPro 2409-12's,2 25amp esc by Electrifly,powerd by a 2200mAh 3 cell by HiModel
rudedog is offline Find More Posts by rudedog