HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:27 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Battery compartment

It's cramped in there.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2006, 11:44 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudedog
also remember I put a servo in the left inside boom intake for my elevator....may have something to do with it
Placement of any gear has nothing to do with what the proper CG is for controlable flight. If you have servo in a fuse radioator location, then simply you probably had to add a little nose weight to counter(or didnt need to based on other electronics positions).
A 30mm difference in CG is extremely ODD.
Did you measure your CG at the LE of wing along a fuse pod(with engine) or along cockpit pod?
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Oct 16, 2006, 03:48 AM
CAN WE MAKE IT FLY?????
Concord,N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
207 Posts
the cockpit pod...
rudedog is offline Find More Posts by rudedog
Old Oct 16, 2006, 04:26 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
This is mockup showing the engines with 3 blade props. These are 9x7x3 MAS and there is plenty of room. Landing gear obviously will be needed as these dont flex. I doing that dark nightfighter/recon scheme similar to the full size plane pictured previously in the thread
(located here : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=979277 )

The cowls need to be painted to match of course, but the green is there for a primer on the plastic and some on the wings for weathering. Lots more to do, but thought I'd share progress.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:12 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
Placement of any gear has nothing to do with what the proper CG is for controlable flight. If you have servo in a fuse radioator location, then simply you probably had to add a little nose weight to counter(or didnt need to based on other electronics positions).
A 30mm difference in CG is extremely ODD.
Did you measure your CG at the LE of wing along a fuse pod(with engine) or along cockpit pod?
Is it not true that you can balance a plane anywhere by adding weight to the nose or tail (weather it be radio equip or clay)! Kensp has some repair weight on the rear of the tail boom I believe. Rudedog has a servo out in the tail boom.
with the differecces of Batteries,servos and motors the planes balance where they balance. And the both fly. I will admit the CG,s are a spread.
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:17 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Can someone please post a picture of the battery compartment?

Thank you!
Here they are.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Oct 16, 2006, 05:26 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN V16
Is it not true that you can balance a plane anywhere by adding weight to the nose or tail (weather it be radio equip or clay)! Kensp has some repair weight on the rear of the tail boom I believe. Rudedog has a servo out in the tail boom.
with the differecces of Batteries,servos and motors the planes balance where they balance. And the both fly. I will admit the CG,s are a spread.
Merlin.

I had to put 20 grams of lead in the rear of the booms under the tailplane to balance at 93 mm from the LE, measured on the side of the pod. I am working on a lightweight pointed spinner cone to allow some of this lead to be removed. This should allow a 19 gram reduction in weight. 14 grams less for the spinners and 5 grams of lead removed fron the tail.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Oct 16, 2006 at 05:32 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:34 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Just to get this right in my head, even though the gws manual says 60mm back from where the middle (fuse) pod meets the wing (as shown on page 16 of manual), this is where the cog is, Kensp says it's around 93mm back from the same point. Thats a big change for sure. As I am getting ready to balance mine soon, I just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly, because between Ken, Rudedog and GWS, there's some big differences here!
jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Oct 16, 2006, 06:43 AM
NW Victoria Australia
Joined Sep 2003
482 Posts
GWS picture is wrong @60mm

Flying mine at 80mm and it needs to go back at least 5mm possibly more
Bthree is offline Find More Posts by Bthree
Old Oct 16, 2006, 07:06 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Thanks for the battery compartment pics. Is anyone installing a Thunder Power 2100 mAh 3s (or a Tanic 2220 mAh 3s) LiPo in that tight space?

With respect to the CG issue -- in the REAL P-38, the pilot actually sits right on the CG. I've balanced three of my other P-38s this same way... Just look at the canopy, where the "X" is -- that should get you very close.

That being said, I know GWS is in the habit of making aircraft that are not exactly "scale" (GWS says they do this because their airplane designs fly better) -- as a result, the CG could possibly be different than the other P-38's I've built and flown...
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Last edited by Red 61; Oct 16, 2006 at 07:12 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 07:10 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
The way mines turning out, I'll be using a 2100 3 cell in mine. It looks cramped in there, but it will fit. My 1500's I was planning on using just don't seem to be providing enough ooomph to run my twin Himaxx's.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Oct 16, 2006, 07:15 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagzilla
The way mines turning out, I'll be using a 2100 3 cell in mine. It looks cramped in there, but it will fit. My 1500's I was planning on using just don't seem to be providing enough ooomph to run my twin Himaxx's.
Jag
Yeah, amp draw is a problem on a high-powered electric twin... Even my Tanic 2220 mAh 3s LiPos have trouble keeping up sometimes!

Watch out for Low-Voltage Cutoff on ONE electronic speed control on those low-altitude, high speed passes!
Old Oct 16, 2006, 07:19 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
One more post this morning, and I promise I'll stop (for the morning anyway).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
This is mockup showing the engines with 3 blade props. These are 9x7x3 MAS and there is plenty of room. Landing gear obviously will be needed as these dont flex.
I put these same props on my Air Devil P-38... They look cool, and provide lots of great thrust and speed. However, you are right in that they do not flex! EVERY belly landing ripped one motor mount out of the boom!

I switched to GWS props, but they're too flexable (easy landings, but not enough thrust or speed). I finally ended up with APC-E props as a great "middle of the road" (just stiff enough, but not too stiff) solution.
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:27 AM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I'll be using a MegaPower 2200mAh 11.1v lipo in my plane. It's a bit larger than a TP 2100. It fits nicely in the area they have for the battery. I might have to modify it a little like Kensp did but nothing drastic.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Oct 16, 2006, 09:53 AM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
GWS needs to start making some 3-blade HD props.

3-blade 9x5 HD

3-blade 9x7 HD

3-blade 8x6 HD

3-blade 8x4 HD

3-blade 7x6 HD

Are my votes.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45