HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:31 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
My micro air retracts arrived today, and wow, pretty cool!! I was a bit discouraged after reading some of the reports on them earlier in this thread, but now I've seen them up close, I think they'll work out. They are sure are cool, and will hopefully be a great addition to the 38!
Press the buttom....wheels up, press the button.... wheels down, press the button....wheels up, press the button....wheels down, press the .....
J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:34 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Looks like I'm returning the Tbird 18s. For me, not worth the risk.
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:38 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
I'm flying an E-Flight P-47 with four flight servos, and a waypoint micro retract servo. Since I'm using an older Px-25 with single BEC chip, I opted for the Park BEC. Been working fine.

Hey Blaze... only 2000 posts??
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
Old Sep 22, 2006, 09:51 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Just to get this right in my head.....I'm planning on using a pair of no-name chinese brushless esc's that I got of ebay for this project. Do I have to disable the bec's in both of them, and then purchase one aftermarket bec device that is rated high enough to handle my system? Also, is it just a matter of cutting a wire to disable the bec's on these esc's, or do they have to be manufactured in a way that you can disable the bec? My, this is getting complicated!
J
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:19 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagzilla
Just to get this right in my head.....I'm planning on using a pair of no-name chinese brushless esc's that I got of ebay for this project. Do I have to disable the bec's in both of them, and then purchase one aftermarket bec device that is rated high enough to handle my system? Also, is it just a matter of cutting a wire to disable the bec's on these esc's, or do they have to be manufactured in a way that you can disable the bec? My, this is getting complicated!
J
It depends on how many and what type servos you are using. FWIW my friend flys a Guillows P-38 with cdroms and TB-9's. The TB-9's are "Y"ed to the throttle channel, running off a single battery. Both BEC's are still active.
Only 3 servos total (HS-55)
Old Sep 22, 2006, 10:27 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
I will be using Hs 55's. Two for the ailerons, one for the elevator. One for the retracts, and possibly one for the steerable front wheel. Both the retracts and front wheel servo would hardly be used. The esc's I have are rated 1 amp for the bec. I've never really gotten into this multiple motor stuff before, so I'm not sure what to do here.
J
Old Sep 23, 2006, 02:06 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
Quote:
My micro air retracts arrived today, and wow, pretty cool!! I was a bit discouraged after reading some of the reports on them earlier in this thread, but now I've seen them up close, I think they'll work out. They are sure are cool, and will hopefully be a great addition to the 38!
Press the buttom....wheels up, press the button.... wheels down, press the button....wheels up, press the button....wheels down, press the .....
J
jag,

can you post the measurement of the airtank?...still wondering if it will fit in the center pod...it sure looks tight in post 351...thanks....
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Sep 23, 2006, 08:27 AM
CD-ROM Junkie
Joined Apr 2001
13,910 Posts
Quote:
I will be using Hs 55's. Two for the ailerons, one for the elevator. One for the retracts, and possibly one for the steerable front wheel. Both the retracts and front wheel servo would hardly be used. The esc's I have are rated 1 amp for the bec. I've never really gotten into this multiple motor stuff before, so I'm not sure what to do here.
J
With five servos, think I'd want to run the Park BEC, they are inexpensive and light, cheap insurance IMO.
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:56 AM
SW Vermont
Joined May 2002
557 Posts
sub
Balsa Hound is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Hound
Old Sep 23, 2006, 02:27 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Newland
With five servos, think I'd want to run the Park BEC, they are inexpensive and light, cheap insurance IMO.
This is the specifications for the Park BEC

Input voltage: 6V to 33.6v (2s-8s lithium, up to 21 NiMHs)
Output current: 1.25A continuous, 1.5A 60 second peak. (6 4-9g servos, 4 standard servos)
Weight: 6.2g/.22oz
Weight Without Wires: 4.1g/.14oz
5 Volt output
Universal connector fits all receivers
1.3V dropout voltage at 1A
Can be put in parallel

Using the ServoSense Plus I have recorded 1.8 Amps peak BEC current draw on an Rx and 4 GWS Naro Servos in my Formosa II while flying. This is well beyond the output of the Park BEC. In my Formosa II I use an Align switch mode BEC that has an output of 3 Amps.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Sep 23, 2006, 05:05 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer
jag,

can you post the measurement of the airtank?...still wondering if it will fit in the center pod...it sure looks tight in post 351...thanks....
The air tank is 80mm by 25 mm.

I have ordered a separate BEC for my plane. Don't think I want to take any chances. Thanks all for the advice.
J
Old Sep 23, 2006, 08:05 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
One easy way to do it would be to cut or disable both BEC's on the esc's and power the servos with a standalone battery. The problem though, is that you'd either have to use a small and somewhat heavy 4.8volt Nicad or use a small lipo, but with a voltage regulator.
Now, the ParkBEC is actually rated to run 6 servos. The actual amperage and voltage is pulsed, so regardless of the max amp load, it isnt hitting it at any one time cuz not all of the servos are pulsed at the exact same milisec.
I have several planes with 4 servos running off the BEC of the esc. I have one B-25(Flying styro) that has ParkBEC because it has 2 x aileron servos, one elevator, one nose gear retract, two main gear retract servos(mechanical retracts)...total of 6. There is no issue at all and the ParkBEC does the job just as it advertises. I talked with the company that sells the ParkBEC and they said you can actually use TWO ParkBEC's(one per esc) and that will allow more then 6 servos.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Sep 23, 2006, 09:57 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Ordered two CC Phoenix 25s to replace the tbird 18s. The 25s will provide the ability to program as per Castles instructions for a twin brushless set up. Each has a 3amp BEC which should be plenty for running four servos. Now if we could just start getting the planes, we could actually install all this equipment we keep talking about!!
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Old Sep 23, 2006, 10:09 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Like waiting for a 100Meg download on DialUp

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Sep 24, 2006, 06:43 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouang
You can just connect 2 GWS ESC on 1 Y lead, I did it and itís working fine!
Yes, it is. Thank you very much.

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS