HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:04 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
Do what you will, but I won't risk a dual brushless $200 plane setup on simple looks.

-Chris
What does that mean?

I can tell you I will never use a CC ESC again. I have had too many problems and wasted too many days waiting for repairs on several of their products. If it wasn't for their repair policy, Castle would be out of buisiness.

Though I am sure Joe is a swell guy.

-Todd
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:17 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
It wasn't directed at you or anyone in general. Just a figure of speech.
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:50 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Everyone should check out this information, on running twin set ups, in the Castle Creations Newsletter Issue 3 Look on page 2.

Issue 2 Page 5 has information on ripple in the Battery Line. It appears that the major factor is a battery that cannot supply enough current.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Sep 12, 2006 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Add text for more information
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:05 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
It wasn't directed at you or anyone in general. Just a figure of speech.
My mom thinks I have simple looks
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:08 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
very informative read (newsletter 3).
They don't mention anything about what wires to lengthen but since they specify you run off 1 battery pack it makes sense that you would need to have a longer battery lead.
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Everyone should check out this information, on running twin set ups, in the Castle Creations Newsletter Issue 3 Look on page 2.

Issue 2 Page 5 has information on ripple in the Battery Line. It appears that the major factor is a battery that cannot supply enough current.

Ken
Thanks for that, Ken.

Hmmmm. I talked to Bernie about my Bronco setup a long time ago. I dont think we covered disableing the overcurrent. I wonder if that is my problem on the Bronco.........
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:18 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,113 Posts
Here's a post that may interest you guys also. It talks about lengthening leads from the ESC. Seems that CC recommends doing it to the motor wires. Food for thought.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=128

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:24 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogon1013
very informative read (newsletter 3).
They don't mention anything about what wires to lengthen but since they specify you run off 1 battery pack it makes sense that you would need to have a longer battery lead.
Issue 2 Page 5, on ripple in the Battery Line, doesnt mention wire length either. After reading the piece I would think that, if you extend the length of the battery wire, an increase in diameter to keep the overall resistance the same would be in order.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Sep 12, 2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:56 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Just ordered the Micro air retracts for mine. I'm getting pumped on this project! Figure if I can't get them to work out on this 38, I'll chuck them in my Scorpio FW190 project that I haven't started yet.
J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:07 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
please post a link for the retracts you ordered, so we can all drool .
Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:08 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Here you go:

http://www.rc-warbirds.com/product_i...06f10601cd7e9c

I also ordered the matching wheels to go with these retracts thats on the their website.
I've never done retracts before, so we'll see how this goes. I think this plane is gonna deserve all the "special" treatment!!
Jag
Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:16 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
only $60...that's not bad, even includes valve, tank and hose. (for some reason I thought they cost much more)
Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:23 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
I agree, it looks like a decent deal to me. You just need one small servo to actuate the air tank. If I can get these to work properly, I think they will add greatly to the joy of having this Plane!
J
Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:47 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
Wannabe has a set of these micro air retracts and I looked at them Sunday. They are tiny. Manufacturer says 1 kg (2.2lbs). The wire is quite thin at 2mm (5/64) and the "base" is also pretty small. He bought them for this project but after looking at them, the consensus is probably not a good idea. The gear is virtually identical to Wattage micro gear - except for the spring air part. Maybe if you can really seat them into the foam. My history with GWS gear is that they tended to "roll out" of the foam. But maybe Jag can get them to work.

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:33 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
the "base" is also pretty small. The gear is virtually identical to Wattage micro gear - except for the spring air part. Maybe if you can really seat them into the foam. My history with GWS gear is that they tended to "roll out" of the foam. But maybe Jag can get them to work.

Jim
Cover the area around the UC mounts with 3/4 oz fiberglas cloth. About 1 inch surounding the mount is enough. Push the glass down onto the sides of the hole for the UC. This will give the strength requied to prevent the UC from being ripped out or rolled out.

Ken