HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 10:21 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0stS0ul
Joyce had stated in the email to me with the documents that I needed to check the zipcode and county.

DOH! that's what I get for rushing But I did E-mail the correct address so I am confident it will get here.
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:01 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,508 Posts
mkxiv

Sure -
Channel 1 - Ailerons off a "Y" connecter
Channel 2 - Elevator
Channel 3 - Throttle/ESC
Channel 4 - Nose wheel steering or anything else you want to install. It doesn't look like a rudder would be easy to build.

Personally, I'll be using a Hitec 05S so I can program in independently controlable ailerons.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:19 PM
Joined May 2006
62 Posts
Thanks Jamesdr! I know nothing about twin engine electrics. With the two engines is there a double corded ESC? Do i need 1 or 2 batteries?
mkxiv is offline Find More Posts by mkxiv
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:36 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkxiv
Thanks Jamesdr! I know nothing about twin engine electrics. With the two engines is there a double corded ESC? Do i need 1 or 2 batteries?
You will need a heavy duty "Y" lead to connect two ESCs to one battery. As well you will need a "Y" servo lead to connect the reciever to two ESCs.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Sep 11, 2006, 11:54 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Actually, as previously stated numerous times by Joe Ford from Castle Creations... it is the MOTOR leads between the ESC and motor that should be extended if more length is needed... NEVER the battery leads.

Extending the battery leads can cause ripples in current, and in some cases destroy your ESC in time.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:46 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,508 Posts
Just FAXed my order off. As it was crawling through the machine - the first thought going through my mind was "What in the hell do you think you are doing! You think you can fly a P-38?!?" I see a lot of hours on the sim coming up. And oh yeah - some sort of video would make my nerves better. I'm getting tired of playing the FSK P-38 video from HL.

Jim
Old Sep 12, 2006, 06:00 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
Just FAXed my order off. As it was crawling through the machine - the first thought going through my mind was "What in the hell do you think you are doing! You think you can fly a P-38?!?" I see a lot of hours on the sim coming up. And oh yeah - some sort of video would make my nerves better. I'm getting tired of playing the FSK P-38 video from HL.

Jim
Jim,

No problem, I have several GWS models that you can fly right out of the box....tell you what .... ..as soon as you receive this P-38 (oh, sorry, I meant GWS-38) just PM me and I will be glad to trade for say a GWS Pico J3 Cub?
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Sep 12, 2006, 07:37 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Well, did the ordering for mine last night. Joyce confirmed my order and said shipping will be around Sept.22. Gotta start scraping those extra parts together! Still going with a pair of 2015-4100's in mine. I also just ordered a Wattage Stuka so I'm on a real "tear" over here!
J
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Sep 12, 2006, 09:23 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
Actually, as previously stated numerous times by Joe Ford from Castle Creations... it is the MOTOR leads between the ESC and motor that should be extended if more length is needed... NEVER the battery leads.

Extending the battery leads can cause ripples in current, and in some cases destroy your ESC in time.

-Chris
I think space will prohibit putting two ESCs in the pod along with a batterty, reciever and elevator servo. I do not think that I would like to have two ESCs that close to my reciever,

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:43 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,669 Posts
Just sent my email to Joyce with my paperwork. I guess shipping will be around Sept 22nd based on Jagzilla's post above.
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Sep 12, 2006, 12:55 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
I think space will prohibit putting two ESCs in the pod along with a batterty, reciever and elevator servo. I do not think that I would like to have two ESCs that close to my reciever,

Ken
I agree. we are only talking about extending the battery leads 3 or 4 inches (not feet)....should be fine.

Another possibility is to put the ESC's in a carved out area under the wing (kinda like the e-flite airliner does). this might offer extra cooling as well.

PS I also got an e-mail stateing sept 22nd shipping (and that they got my address updates ). I wonder how long it takes to get to Florida, from China? I assume it gets to the west coast of the US first.
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Old Sep 12, 2006, 03:43 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,508 Posts
GWS Ray

How have the R&D folks mounted the ESCs for the 2208 powered GWS-38?

Jim
Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:25 PM
At peace with his albatross
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Oct 2003
2,298 Posts
I have built two glow conversion twin brushless planes so far and a silly foam twin with plans for two more big ones. I have a lot of experience with my OV-10 Bronco and myC-160 Transall. In both planes I have the ESCs right behind the motors and have 12 gage battery wires legnthened to the center pod. the wires are heavy but they have little resistance or voltage drop. I prefer a single battery going to both controllers so that both controllers see the same voltage. Others have used two separate bateries with great sucsess though, so this might be an option for the GWS-38 since I will be putting air retracts in it.

The C-160 uses Eflight 40A ESCs and the battery wires are about two feet long comming off of each motor. This is a bullet proof twin brushless setup.

The OV-10 uses Castle 25A ESCs. The battery wires are 14 gage and about 14 inches long. This setup seems to loose an engine in flight about 5 minutes in to the flight every time I take it up (luckily, this plane will fly on one engine. Dont expect that from a P-38). It is possible that the CC ESCs wires are too long. I still have not tracked down the problem with this plane.

-Todd
wannabe is offline Find More Posts by wannabe
Last edited by wannabe; Sep 12, 2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 04:33 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Do what you will, but I won't risk a dual brushless $200 plane setup on simple looks.

I'll mount them in a seperate manner under the wing if need be. It's all fun and games until someone loses a rare, sought-after, expensive, prototype plane.

I personally have learned a lot from Joe Ford, we're lucky to have him give such insight... even to people who aren't using CC ESC's.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Sep 12, 2006, 05:00 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
Actually, as previously stated numerous times by Joe Ford from Castle Creations...
Hmm.. I could have sworn I heard exactly the opposite, also from someone quoting a Castle rep. in a different twin discussion. Everyone (including the quoter) commented that extending the battery wires ran counter to conventional wisdom, but he seemed convinced that the Castle folks were beginning to change their thoughts on the matter.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis