HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:09 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Great flight. I see the same charecteristics in my plane also. They are very similar in speed also. It is a very good looking plane in flight. That is a nice flying field. Pavement is nice too. I rather fly over hay than a cornfield. I lost and luckily found my 2 planes that went in. 2 other guys went in and got chopped up when harvest day came along.
**Neons** Bob
Thanks,
We lease this site from a local farmer and what you see in the field is his second cut of the season. I lost a plane back in the spring when the grass was about 5 ft. high and took about an hour to find it, so I can relate to the corn field issue. There have been several planes munched up by the hay bailer here.
The runway is actually some stuff called "petromat" it is a plastic woven fabric type material laid down over the ground. We just recovered it this year and it came out pretty good I think.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:23 AM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,668 Posts
Wow RG! Those twins are sounding great! and that landing----!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,863 Posts
Some of you may enjoy this Edu-Drama. You would need 45 minutes or split up time to see this production with a few story segments on this aircraft. A very informative and entertaining show. The first story takes you up on a familiarity flight and the next shorts are related war stories. I also saw another late video with five P-38's in a group flight in the right column.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=a7B0WWc4QS4
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Dec 16, 2013, 05:43 PM
to live and let fly!!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jul 2013
202 Posts
not a bad price for a new one??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=141142649676
1flyguy is offline Find More Posts by 1flyguy
Old Dec 16, 2013, 06:09 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,863 Posts
I got mine unpainted a few years back at Banana Hobby around same price. I used the GWS motors. I am not satisfied with the just adequate power. One burnt out after my last video. I am powering up more to get some performance in the doggy loops and Immelmans. If you do LG you should be OK with a good landing. My belly lander is beefed up as it is brutal on the twin booms and lower rudders even on a smooth grass slide in. My nose and spinners are home made copies of fiberglass.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Dec 16, 2013, 08:24 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,394 Posts
1flyguy, be sure the kit is EPO if that is what you wish to purchase. There are two things that tell me that it is not EPO foam. The first being painted silver and the second that it is a powered kit. I purchased two painted/powered AT-6 kits only to find out that they are EPS foam. In EPS and powered right the plane will be a wonderful flier but you will be glassing the wings and tail booms if you want the model to last.
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Dec 16, 2013, 09:16 PM
to live and let fly!!
Joined Jul 2013
202 Posts
thanks for the heads up. I hope its epo.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:22 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 1999
1,297 Posts
1flyguy, it's not EPO I have had three of them and I have two more in the box. One flying. The price isn't that fantastic. He's advertising it like it's half price. That's BS. At the full price he's quoting, that would be with servos, brushless motors, ext.. Look around a little. check the "completed" sales in the advanced search on eBay and you can see what they've been selling for.
If you do buy one, whether it's from the eBay seller or an on-line store, you DON'T need to glass the wings. Iv'e never glassed my P-38's and I've never experienced wing failure. The only thing I suggest is that you cut slots along the outside of the booms, back at the rudders, and glue in some carbon fiber rods to re-enforce the booms back there. That's the weak spot and they can break off in a landing. I used carbon fiber rods about 10" long. The other thing I did was attach the canopy rear area with screws, going into small blacks of wood, because I had a canopy come off while inverted and the battery pack fell out.
Gene is offline Find More Posts by Gene
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 1999
1,297 Posts
1flyguy, also keep in mind that replacement parts are very hard to locate.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:30 PM
Joined Aug 1999
1,297 Posts
Looks like he's the "only game in town" on eBay. I guess you"ll have to decide.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:44 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,869 Posts
I agree with Gene. While the price isn't fantastic, it's also not terrible.

Spare parts will certainly be hard to come by, especially the engine cowls and the nose cone.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:50 PM
to live and let fly!!
Joined Jul 2013
202 Posts
True! anyone know anything about the motors that come with it ?"GWBLO2208" ??? also there website says 25a-30a esc?? what are you using Gene??
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:09 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,869 Posts
Ive never used their motors. From what I remember on the threads, it seemed like more people were having problems with them than not. There was a certain color of shrink tubing or wires that were on the good motors. I don't remember what they were though.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:18 PM
USA, TX, Arlington
Joined Aug 2010
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
Ive never used their motors. From what I remember on the threads, it seemed like more people were having problems with them than not. There was a certain color of shrink tubing or wires that were on the good motors. I don't remember what they were though.
I'm using the stock 2208 motors, I did change out the crappy bullet connectors on the motor leads and I'm using castle thunderbird 18 amp esc's on 3S 2200mAh batteries.
rgwilson is online now Find More Posts by rgwilson
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:13 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,394 Posts
Gene, The carbon fiber in the booms is a great idea. Glassing the leading edge and wing tips on the P-38 or any EPS model in my opinion just adds extra wear durability. At the cost of the weight equal to a deans connectors weight the glass adds much durability and rigidity to the wing. Here is the bottom of a EPS wing on a AT-6 that has been dragged, bounced, skipped and scraped on all sorts of landing strips. After hundreds of flights there is little to no damage. Here is a vid of the AT-6 loosing radio and digging a mini trench in the grass with its wing tip and one of a wing tip park job. The picture is after the flight/crash and as you see no damage but minor scratches and staining. There also is a picture of a wing with the hundred of flights on it and a wing to its twin sister with zero flights, hard to tell the difference. Drag a wing tip one time without glass and the results, well you know what happens. For almost zero weight penalty, an hour of your time and $1 in material I believe its a shame not to put a little glass on these almost extinct GWS birds. I am a devout GWS fan and suffering with the demise of the company

Caliberhobby has 6 EPS kits in stock but $80.
GWS AT-6 looses radio (0 min 13 sec)
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970