SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
...I have epoxy, and I know how to use it...
I'm thinking of stealing that as my personal motto!

Got a quick flight in yesterday afternoon after church; a little windy, but the additional fiberglass on the inboard and lower sides of the vertical stabs really paid off.

On landing, one wing grabbed a tuft of grass and spun the plane as it stopped. I fully expected at least one of the stabs to be broken (again) by the side-loading, but the glass held firm. Should've done that months ago.

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2011, 08:42 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
I'm thinking of stealing that as my personal motto!

Got a quick flight in yesterday afternoon after church; a little windy, but the additional fiberglass on the inboard and lower sides of the vertical stabs really paid off.

On landing, one wing grabbed a tuft of grass and spun the plane as it stopped. I fully expected at least one of the stabs to be broken (again) by the side-loading, but the glass held firm. Should've done that months ago.

Jeff

It's all yours, brother.

Yep, I think it's time to glass that tail. I have no idea how or when it broke. I have a half oz of lead on the tail, might as well replace it with structural reinforcement.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Apr 17, 2011, 11:00 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I just maidened mine this week. She flew amazingly well with only one click of down trim, seriously That has never happened before. I went up high and stalled it out and the wings just wallered back and forth. I was really impressed how well this little twin flew

Blessings!

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Apr 18, 2011, 06:44 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Glad to hear it went well! It's also been my experience that these are stable, well-behaved planes. Sometimes a bit too stable...

How do you like it for maneuverability? I don't expect it to have the kind of responsiveness that my FW-190 has, but the Lightning still takes me by surprise at times at its sluggishness (especially in rolling).

Also, what have you done to beef up the boom-tail joint? GIUsedtoBe did a nice job of wrapping fiberglass tape around it on his J-Power 38 to strengthen that weak spot--seems to be a good fix.

Jeff
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Hey Jeff,
I have my ailerons swinging like barn doors but expo at around 30%... I can check through and expo for you to be exact. I thought it rolled great and had good pitch. It was very trainer like flight which I guess is a Blessing for a plane with no rudders.

I fly 3D mostly so wild control throws are the norm for me and just adding expo to make it not so sensitive. I only got one flight on her because the flying site I was at wasn't great.

I put a bunch of carbon fiber rods in it to strengthen it up, especially in the booms. I also put blenderum tape on all of the leading edges to protect it for tearing as I'm bellying it in.

I thought I had some pics of the rods I put in the booms but I can't find them... I'll keep looking.

Blessings
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
442 Posts
Just got back from attending SEFF for the first time and finally maidening my P-38. SEFF is definitely a "must go to" event.

My P-38 flies great!
SMRTIC is offline Find More Posts by SMRTIC
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:55 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRTIC View Post
...finally maidening my P-38...flies great!
Nice shot; just looks fast zipping across the ground like that!

Jeff
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:59 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
...I have my ailerons swinging like barn doors but expo at around 30%...It was very trainer like flight which I guess is a Blessing for a plane with no rudders...

I put a bunch of carbon fiber rods in it to strengthen it up, especially in the booms...

I thought I had some pics of the rods I put in the booms but I can't find them... I'll keep looking.

Blessings
Gotta do what you gotta do with no rudders, right?

I'd like to see how you did the spars in the tail. If I end up talking GIUsedtoBe out of his kit that's still sitting in a box I might have to follow your example--I'm not satisfied with my work.

Happy Easter!
Jeff
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:52 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I looked all over my computer and I can't find any pics of the mods I did. If I remember correctly there is only one carbon rod in the boom. I added two more. One was hollow and long about 3/16", it went from the just behind the firewall to just into the tail area. I put another through he gear bay to the nose only higher. I have multiple "skewers" of small carbon rods through the booms into the wings and through the tail section, anywhere I saw that it was weak and could easily snap off. I didn't use any of the wing mounting hardware or even tail hardware, too heavy and very unnecessary in my opinion. I also left the landing gear support plastic out as I knew I was making a belly lander. I glue the wing to the fuse. Just things I remember, I really thought I took pics but I have no idea where they went

Happy Easter to you as well!

Jay
Old Jun 03, 2011, 02:07 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
Been wrestling with an FMS Spitfire that is giving me fits, so it was especially nice to put the ol' Lightning back in the air.

This plane is so docile; almost too much so. I got so comfortable with it that I got careless with a low-altitude Immelman and nearly stalled it into a tree!

In a classic moment, I introduced the maneuver with, "Hey, check this out!"
Old Jun 03, 2011, 03:34 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmah View Post
in a classic moment, i introduced the maneuver with, "hey, check this out!"
Ha!
Old Sep 09, 2011, 10:48 PM
Solidworks
Stanfield,NC
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Bec

Will a UBEC work to eliminate one esc hitting lvc b4 the other?? I am running the stock brushless motors with 2 cc phoenix36 esc's and only 3 servos. If so what amp UBEC do I need? Please help!!!
speedracer24 is offline Find More Posts by speedracer24
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:07 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedracer24 View Post
Will a UBEC work to eliminate one esc hitting lvc b4 the other??
No. You need an external LVC, eg. Diemsions Engineering's Liposhield.

Or just time your flights so that you never run out of battery.
Bruce Abbott is offline Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott
Old Sep 10, 2011, 07:45 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
OK - step back one. A BEC is a battery eliminator circuit. That provides power to the receiver. (Ever notice the receiver has a port marked batt? For gassers, you plug a battery into that port to power the receiver). If you install a BEC, you plug it into the batt port on the receiver and disable the BEC leads on the ESC. What you have done now is supplied a separate voltage source to the receiver so should you loose an ESC through LVC or over heating, you still have control to the plane. And that is a good thing. To your original question, if you install a BEC, you can and will hit LVC if you over extend a battery capacity. Although you would think both ESC have the same tolerance, they do in specifications but in real life, tend to differ. One will always conk out before the other. Bottom line, a BEC will not affect LVC but will provide power to the Rx. make sense?

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Sep 12, 2011, 09:21 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
777 Posts
I have inadvertently field-tested the "hit LVC on one before the other" phenomenon (old, dying battery). And from my research, resultant low-altitude spins often end unpleasantly...

Jeff