SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:47 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDad View Post
Jeff,

What is the KV of the motors you are using?

Kevin.
I believe they are the GWS 2215/12T version which I think are rated at 900, so they ought to turn a larger prop.

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 1999
1,293 Posts
If it's available in your area, you can also get Krylon H2O spray paint. It works great and I've used it on a couple of my P-38's. You have to shake it good to get the color mixed in the can. My red P-38 photos are posted somewhere a long time ago in this thread. I'll see if I can locate them.
Gene is offline Find More Posts by Gene
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:39 PM
Joined Aug 1999
1,293 Posts
Page 6 of this thread has a chart showing the different color schemes of various full scale P-38's.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:58 PM
Joined Aug 1999
1,293 Posts
Page 121 shows the P-38 painted red with the Krylon H-20 spray paint. It's water based paint.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:22 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Page 6 of this thread has a chart showing the different color schemes of various full scale P-38's.
Great. This was the last thing I needed to see. I was recently given a GWS P-38 from a friend of a friend. Once I saw that page, I remembered how much I liked the Captured T9 XB P-38.

Now I'm going to have to start on it.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:02 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
Great. This was the last thing I needed to see. I was recently given a GWS P-38 from a friend of a friend. Once I saw that page, I remembered how much I liked the Captured T9 XB P-38.

Now I'm going to have to start on it.
Heck yeah, go for it. BTW, thanks for the voluntary additional.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Dec 29, 2010, 01:36 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
10,206 Posts
I brought mine out of retirement and flew it a couple of times yesterday here it is pictured with a couple other GWS war birds
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Dec 29, 2010, 03:41 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,006 Posts
Yes, you can use a larger prop with more pitch. If that 3 bladed setup doesn't work try an APC 8x6 two bladed prop, they are much more efficient than the 3 bladed GWS props. You can even get them in the E thinned version forward and backwards to cancel out the torque.

Kevin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAH View Post
I believe they are the GWS 2215/12T version which I think are rated at 900, so they ought to turn a larger prop.

Jeff
RCDad is offline Find More Posts by RCDad
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:10 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Quote:
Yes, you can use a larger prop with more pitch...

Kevin.
Good news: The 9050x3 props arrived today in the mail, and they look a lot better on the Lightning than the 8040x3s that I started with.

Not so good news: the weather stinks so it'll be a while before I can flight test them. Hopefully I can get over to GIUsedtoBe's and at least put it on the wattmeter.

Here's hoping I will be satisfied with the 3-bladers in performance as well as looks. I really think two-bladers look kind of silly on this plane. I can accept it on my other warbirds, but I just can't seem to do it on this one!

Jeff
Old Jan 07, 2011, 01:42 PM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,006 Posts
Yes, be sure to check the amps and watts to be sure you're not over working your battery or ESC. Two-bladers do not look as nice as 3, but they are much more efficient and will give you better performance. Plus they may hold up better to belly landings.

Good luck,
Kevin.

Quote:
Good news: The 9050x3 props arrived today in the mail, and they look a lot better on the Lightning than the 8040x3s that I started with.

Not so good news: the weather stinks so it'll be a while before I can flight test them. Hopefully I can get over to GIUsedtoBe's and at least put it on the wattmeter.

Here's hoping I will be satisfied with the 3-bladers in performance as well as looks. I really think two-bladers look kind of silly on this plane. I can accept it on my other warbirds, but I just can't seem to do it on this one!

Jeff
Old Jan 09, 2011, 10:41 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Not Impressed

So I put the 9050x3s on it and decided a flight test was in order (I've not had opportunity to put it on a wattmeter).

While the performance was decidedly better than the 8040x3s, it was far from satisfactory. It certainly wouldn't hang with any of the other birds at the home 'drome.

Biggest disappointment, though, was the broken boom/tail joint on landing. It was a little windy and I foolishly thought I could bring it in for a nice, smooth, slow touchdown. Combination of wind gust and power application resulted in a wing lift (and wing scrape on the other side) and subsequent plopping onto the earth.

Nothing too violent, but enough to break the wimpy joint. Keeping the epoxy and CF spar guys in business...

Jeff
Old Jan 10, 2011, 10:42 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,006 Posts
Jef,

Sorry to hear of your disappointment in performance and damage. You found the weak spot on the plane. You may want to reinforce those areas with a little fiberglass and epoxy.

I really didn't think you would like the 9x3 props. Increasing the prop size and not pitch would only give you more torque no speed. Meaning you can get off the ground sooner and climb better, but you still fly slow as heck.

Are you ready to try the two bladed APC 8x6 props (or even a 9x6) now? To save money, try them without buying new spinners. If you're still not satisfied move up to a 9x6. What size ESC are you running? I can run my 900 kv motor up on a 9x6 and 8x6 slow flyer prop and tell you the amp draw if you're interested in going this route.

Good luck,
Kevin.

Quote:
it was far from satisfactory. It certainly wouldn't hang with any of the other birds at the home 'drome.

but enough to break the wimpy joint. Keeping the epoxy and CF spar guys in business...
Old Jan 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Quote:
...Sorry to hear of your disappointment in performance and damage...

...Increasing the prop size and not pitch would only give you more torque no speed...

Are you ready to try the two bladed APC 8x6 props (or even a 9x6) now? To save money, try them without buying new spinners. If you're still not satisfied move up to a 9x6. What size ESC are you running? I can run my 900 kv motor up on a 9x6 and 8x6 slow flyer prop and tell you the amp draw if you're interested in going this route.

Good luck,
Kevin.
Thanks for the condolences, Kevin. Yeah, it was disappointing.

As to the prop issue, I actually did increase the pitch as well as prop diameter (8040x3 to 9050x3) and saw better performance, but not what I am satisfied with. I'm thinking that if I want to run with some of the other planes I fly with it'll take putting two-bladers on the Lightning.

And one day I might get real aggressive and use my favorite combo, a PowerUp 450 Sport and APC 1070. I have that on my FW-190 and love what I get from it. I can only imagine what sticking two of those on this plane would do!

I've got plenty of room on the ESCs to handle it (30A--same as I run on the Shrike), I just don't want to gobble up so much power that I can't get decent flight times from 2200 mAh batteries. Delicate balance, huh?

I'm keen to see what the wattmeter will show with some of the props I have lying about the "hangar" (GWS 1060, e.g.), but would like to see your data, too. Any info you could forward would be much appreciated!

Jeff
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:42 AM
Bay Area
Joined Feb 2004
2,006 Posts
Jeff,

A friend of mine put some 1400 kv motors in his P-38 with counter rotating APC 8x6 props. The only warbird that could catch him was my souped up ME262 edf. Since you have enough ESCs try some cheap 400 size motors with a kv rating around 1200-1400. If the power 450 is anything like the Eflite 450 the kv ration is pretty low, the motors are heavy, and you will have to prop it up to a 10x8 to 10x10 to get any speed out of them.

By the way I have seen big differences in performance just by switching from a GWS prop to APC. Try the APC 9x6 I think it will wake up your plane. I'll check out the watts for you tonight.

Kevin.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:15 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Quote:
Jeff,

A friend of mine put some 1400 kv motors in his P-38 with counter rotating APC 8x6 props. The only warbird that could catch him was my souped up ME262 edf. Since you have enough ESCs try some cheap 400 size motors with a kv rating around 1200-1400...

By the way I have seen big differences in performance just by switching from a GWS prop to APC. Try the APC 9x6 I think it will wake up your plane. I'll check out the watts for you tonight.

Kevin.
Yeah, I feel a motor change coming with this bird, and I look forward to seeing your data. Thanks!

Jeff at HeadsUpRC has the following data on the PowerUp 450 Sport: 2.5 ounce, 1100 KV, 34 ounces of thrust at 17 amps on a GWS 9050x3 on a 3S battery. But I have seen amazing speeds from GIUsedtoBe's GWS Bf-109 on little, high KV motors like you describe. His plane screams.

Jeff
Last edited by JMAH; Jan 11, 2011 at 06:25 PM.