Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:12 AM
Cut the yellow wire
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Edited to place edited video. See post #2317 below.

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Jun 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:25 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Cool. I can't believe you belly flop that thing on sand!

I have the same visibility issue, the thing gives me optical convulsions in the corners. Mine is OD green on top and the original silver underneath. I think too that grey underneath will be an improvement. I'm going for a nice light flat grey.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jun 21, 2010, 09:33 AM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dLdV View Post
Cool. I can't believe you belly flop that thing on sand!

I have the same visibility issue, the thing gives me optical convulsions in the corners. Mine is OD green on top and the original silver underneath. I think too that grey underneath will be an improvement. I'm going for a nice light flat grey.
That wasn't a flop, that was a rapid controlled descent! (I do have to put something on the bottom since it's starting to wear some. I usually brush on thinned carpenters glue but I realize now that I orgot to do it to this one!)

Are you going to the Jersey Coast Silent Fliers fun fly on July 3rd in Colts Neck? I went last year. Great wide open site and great group of guys. Very relaxed group.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:22 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
That wasn't a flop, that was a rapid controlled descent! (I do have to put something on the bottom since it's starting to wear some. I usually brush on thinned carpenters glue but I realize now that I orgot to do it to this one!)

Are you going to the Jersey Coast Silent Fliers fun fly on July 3rd in Colts Neck? I went last year. Great wide open site and great group of guys. Very relaxed group.

Mike
Haw, guess that was pretty harsh in the description. I just think "belly flop" sounds cool so I use it every chance I get.

I won't be able to make the fun fly, "working" (whatever that is) 7 days. I'll post a note about the event in our groups thread, though. I fly with the South Jersey Silent Flyers.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:25 AM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
No insult taken. I meant to put a smiley after the first sentence. Too bad about the fun fly. There'll be others. Make sure you have the NEAT weekend off though. Too cool to miss.

PS-- I'm going to replace the video above with the edited for sound version later. It's still processing on YouTube.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2010, 10:30 AM
On the Edge of Space
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Maybe you should post the video again, I didn't realize I stepped on it that quick. I don't think the Moderators care too much how much BW we use.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:37 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Here's the new video with sound. Flies great.
GWS P-38 on Father's Day 2010 no music (6 min 32 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2010, 01:49 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 1999
1,288 Posts
Carrera, Team Associated R C makes a protective adhesive backed plastic like material that was originally designed to put on the sides of R C cars to protect the paint in case of a smash up. I use it on the bottom of all of my hand launch, no landing gear planes and it protects very well. It works best on the flatter surfaces but I cut it to fit on the bottoms of the cowls on the P-38 and the bottom of the "belly" where it contacts the rocks and gravel.
Gene is offline Find More Posts by Gene
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:26 PM
Warbird E-Pilot / Hack Builder
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
I've got a dozen flights on my 38, and I'm having a rough time getting it landed. Mine is 41 oz AUW, and seems to need to land at a higher speed than what I'm used to. I've gotten too slow on approach a couple of times, and she snap rolls right over, and does an impressive cartwheel landing. I was thinking of adding flaps, would that help?
Larry076 is offline Find More Posts by Larry076
Old Jun 21, 2010, 05:23 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
How did you get to 41 ounces?

Flaps will do very little.

Adding increased elevator travel will do more, but keep your speed up and make wheels on landings with plenty of power.
angelfood is offline Find More Posts by angelfood
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:11 PM
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
41 oz with glassed booms, 450 class outrunners, 30 amp ESCs and a 2500 3-cell.
Its pretty fast and has great zoom climb ability. This is my first twin, and my buddy tells me I can't just cut power and glide in like I can with my other planes.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:29 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
My God-your buddy is right-as I said, "wheels on" (fly it to the ground) and keep your power up.

You may get some "relief" if you increase elevator throw and flare at the last minute, but with that weight, you are flying a pig.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:39 PM
Peoria, Arizona
Joined Feb 2009
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfood View Post
My God-your buddy is right-as I said, "wheels on" (fly it to the ground) and keep your power up.

You may get some "relief" if you increase elevator throw and flare at the last minute, but with that weight, you are flying a pig.
I think I just need to learn to land it properly. I'm not good at high speed low passes either, I tend to porpoise. The other problem I have with the 38 is it's hard for me to see it and keep orientation. The side profile is very small.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2009
4,831 Posts
Sounds like overcontrol: use 45-50% expo on the ailerons and 35% on the elevator-set up a constant rate of descent on base leg and use power, only, to control the rate of descent.

That is a very dangerous weight for that airframe (to people and property).
Old Jun 22, 2010, 08:09 PM
Cut the yellow wire
Joined Jan 2004
8,997 Posts
Does it land faster than in the video? Mine weighs just over 30 ounces.
RCG Plus Member