HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 03, 2007, 04:40 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
This evening just before sundown the wind dropped off so I went to test fly. The test flight had to be abandoned because even with a Nylock nut fitted the opposite rotation propeller had come loose and this caused a large yaw force to the right. Luckily this was found on the power up just before launch because, had the nut come loose 30 seconds later, the result would have been catastrophic.

I have now fitted a "double nut" locking nut and on testing I have not yet had it come loose. Care has to be taken to advance the throttle slowly to prevent the prop nut coming loose. Test flying will be delayed until I can buy some Loctite to make sure the nut does not come loose when flying.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jul 03, 2007 at 04:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2007, 05:52 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Hi Ken,

Would it be better if apply some strings on the thread shaft tightly right in front of these two nuts, then add silicon glue or "6 hours Epoxy" on ?

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Jul 03, 2007, 11:34 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
Ken,

I agree that both HD9075x3 and HD1080x3 would be more lovely
for bigger motor or high C rating pack. I'd like to keep boss well informed of this idea.

Chen
The problem with 3 blade props are usually too much thrust and too little pitch speed. Try something like 8x8 or 7x7 would give more balanced thrust and speed at moderate power level.

Some smaller prop like 6x8 would be great for GWS DC-3/C-47
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Jul 03, 2007, 05:11 PM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2006
137 Posts
Lock Tite

Ken be careful of using locktite near gws props as they will fail if the locktite gets on the plastic.

Tony
tmichel is offline Find More Posts by tmichel
Old Jul 03, 2007, 07:03 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmichel
Ken be careful of using locktite near gws props as they will fail if the locktite gets on the plastic.

Tony
Thanks for the warning.

Ken
Old Jul 03, 2007, 09:38 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
The problem with 3 blade props are usually too much thrust and too little pitch speed. Try something like 8x8 or 7x7 would give more balanced thrust and speed at moderate power level.

Some smaller prop like 6x8 would be great for GWS DC-3/C-47
EP5030 (5x3) prop works well on GWS DC-3 with the stock brushed 300 motors. There'd be 3-blade 5030 (5x3) and 6" propellers released. 8x8, 7x7 and 6x8 are totally new size ones which'd need more months to come if my boss decides to produce them.

Chen
Old Jul 04, 2007, 10:26 AM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
IMPORTANT NOTE:- I recomend that a Nylock nut be used to retain the reverse rotation propeller. On my first test run I did not and the nomal nut screwed off while running. I replaced the normal nut with a Nylock nut and I had no more problems.
I had the exact same problem with my counter rotating props on my Air Devil P-38... I'm glad to hear of your solution.
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jul 04, 2007, 05:46 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
I had the exact same problem with my counter rotating props on my Air Devil P-38... I'm glad to hear of your solution.
Red

Thank you for this comment. As I had not read of others having this problem I had been wondering if it was somthing that I am doing wrong.

Ken
Old Jul 04, 2007, 09:01 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Aug 2004
2,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWS CHEN
EP5030 (5x3) prop works well on GWS DC-3 with the stock brushed 300 motors. There'd be 3-blade 5030 (5x3) and 6" propellers released. 8x8, 7x7 and 6x8 are totally new size ones which'd need more months to come if my boss decides to produce them.

Chen

GWS plane designers should really learn on the success of DC-3 vs other GWS gear driven warbirds.
The direct drive 300H motors in fact output much less thrust than a geared 300/350 EPS system yet almost everyone says DC-3 has "more than enough power stock" while all the geared EPS brushed system powered GWS planes are all be said to be under powered. The difference here is the pitch speed.

Put lower gear ratio, smaller prop and higher pitch prop as the stock recommended system and more people would enjoy stock power systems and GWS could sell more kits.
shschon is offline Find More Posts by shschon
Old Jul 04, 2007, 10:54 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,663 Posts
Hi Shschon,

Yes, your way would work well on light airplanes, they need airspeed more than thrust. Most of GWS birds are light ones if they are not coated by layers of fiber glass and paints.

Thank you, I'll keep my colleague informed of your words.

Chen
Old Jul 05, 2007, 02:07 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shschon
while all the geared EPS brushed system powered GWS planes are all be said to be under powered.
Dont tell that to this EPS-300 powered GWS Spitfire It might not want to to do the verical rolling climb shown.

EPS-300 5.33:1 power unit
GWS 9 x 7 RD propeller.
Etec 1200 mAh 2 cell battery.

The GWS C-47 flies so well on the direct drive motors because the full sized C-47/DC3 was a very efficent aeroplane and the GWS model is the same. My GWS C-47 loops on a total power of 36 Watts.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Jul 06, 2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2007, 10:33 PM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Hey Chen or anyone else that would know. I was looking at the decal/scheme section in the back of the manual. There is one of "glacier girl" with the US Army decal with red center star and glacier girl nose art, I don't see it in the decal sheets. I don't remember anyone with that scheme either. Was this omitted from the kit, or am I missing that decal set?
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
Old Jul 09, 2007, 12:57 PM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,823 Posts
Maidened my P-38 finally Yesterday .. I have had her done for 3 months now .. was just nervous about flying her ..

Took her out to the runway and taxied for a few minutes to synch the motors .. then brough her around for one final lineup .. i ran the throttles up about half way and off she darts like a blur.. she was running beautifully on the ground straight and true .. i decided to finally give her a little up elevator and she gently rises off the deck .. 2 clicks of up trim was all that was needed..

I make a few passes at different throttle settings getting a feel for this beautiful bird .. on the third pass the motors cut out .. and i have no control what so ever .. in she comes *Thud* my stomach starts to turn over .. Ugggh .. myself and 2 flying buddies take the walk of shame and find her on the ground twitching .. i had no signal to this bird at all ..

New Reciever .. New Speed controls GWS 15 amp .. 2 New GWS large outrunners.. New GWS 6 channel reciever and channel 45 crystal .. new 2100 Mah 3 cell 20C battery..

Im not sure what happened yet but she was really something to behold in the air .. i will try another one down the road .. but not until i determin what happened to this one ..
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jul 09, 2007, 01:24 PM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy
Maidened my P-38 finally Yesterday .. I have had her done for 3 months now .. was just nervous about flying her ..

Took her out to the runway and taxied for a few minutes to synch the motors .. then brough her around for one final lineup .. i ran the throttles up about half way and off she darts like a blur.. she was running beautifully on the ground straight and true .. i decided to finally give her a little up elevator and she gently rises off the deck .. 2 clicks of up trim was all that was needed..

I make a few passes at different throttle settings getting a feel for this beautiful bird .. on the third pass the motors cut out .. and i have no control what so ever .. in she comes *Thud* my stomach starts to turn over .. Ugggh .. myself and 2 flying buddies take the walk of shame and find her on the ground twitching .. i had no signal to this bird at all ..

New Reciever .. New Speed controls GWS 15 amp .. 2 New GWS large outrunners.. New GWS 6 channel reciever and channel 45 crystal .. new 2100 Mah 3 cell 20C battery..

Im not sure what happened yet but she was really something to behold in the air .. i will try another one down the road .. but not until i determin what happened to this one ..
Might want to do a search on the speed controller, I've read about a few people having issues with that particular model. Sad to hear though, I'm working on a 38 and would hate for my model to take a nose dive. I feel for ya.
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
Old Jul 09, 2007, 01:34 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Viceroy,
As a general policy I try to use systems (esc,rec,servos etc) that have already proved to work. 4 new servos, a new receiver, new motors, speed controllers, wires connectors battery etc is just too much much new for my old brain. Sorry about the plane, what a heartbreaker Save the parts..
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)