HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 06, 2007, 01:52 PM
The art of Crashing
Joined Dec 2006
590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Well, someone can always use throttle control to fly "scale"... Wouldn't it be nice to have the OPTION to go a little faster, if someone wanted to slam the throttle to the firewall?

I'm flying my GWS ME-109 and GWS P-51 on an APC 8x8E prop. The amps are low (10.36 at WOT), the thrust is great (21.02 ounces), and the speed is excellent (50.91 MPH). Flight times are in the 20-minute range with my Tanic 3s 2220 mAh LiPos. There's only one airplane faster than mine at the field -- it's a wing, and draws more than 25 amps at WOT.
What motor are you using on those models?
The Bandit is offline Find More Posts by The Bandit
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2007, 01:53 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit
What motor are you using on those models?
Himax 2025-4200, with Cobri 20 gearbox (5.67:1 gear ratio).
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jun 08, 2007, 06:14 AM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
as there are some many pages on this thread,can anyone tell me where the best place to put the esc's?

my p38 should be good to maiden by sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

any last minute things i should check also?

im using the gws setup etc there BL motors etc

mark
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old Jun 08, 2007, 06:44 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,641 Posts
Hi Mark,

It seems that putting each ESC on each boom would be better as
the pod came with limited room.

Make sure both motors have been lubricated, and drew same Amps. Were they mounted with same down thrust ? Was each prop well balanced ? Are both ESC with same setting ? I'd believe you've already have the programming card.

Make sure that each servo works well, every horn/linkage on ailerons and elevator works fine as well. Have you applied Rudder on it ?

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Last edited by GWS CHEN; Jun 08, 2007 at 06:51 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2007, 10:08 AM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
Chen, what does "make sure both motors have been lubricated". i've got no idea what you mean.im still learning at a fast rate but ive never heard of this.

no theres no rudder use on mine.im just going to use it as a nice flyer.i have my GWS Fw190 to do crazy stuff with and my GWS 262 to go like a bat out of hell also have a GWS 109 to i have to get done before my GWS F-15 turns up the things i have to do

Chen when can we get pilorts with our planes....please can you talk to the boss

mark
Old Jun 08, 2007, 10:41 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxdodger
no theres no rudder use on mine.im just going to use it as a nice flyer.i have my GWS Fw190 to do crazy stuff with and my GWS 262 to go like a bat out of hell
mark
If I were you, I would reconsider not fitting rudders to the GWS-38. If you use two ESCs you will have the posibility of a "single engine out" situation and then you will need the rudders.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jun 08, 2007, 12:23 PM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
If I were you, I would reconsider not fitting rudders to the GWS-38. If you use two ESCs you will have the posibility of a "single engine out" situation and then you will need the rudders.

Ken

now im scarced ken.where do you put the servo's and how do you set it up? any pics ?
Old Jun 08, 2007, 01:20 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Having crashed MANY P-38 models, I'm reasonably certain that no amount of rudder is going to keep a P-38 from crashing, when in a single-motor condition.

The easiest thing to do, is to cut your throttle -- this resets the LVC condition on your ESCs. Then, slowly increase throttle to something slightly LESS than the position the throttle was at when you experienced the problem. Finally, land immediately.

On my second GWS-38 build, I decided to try something new --> I am using a "Smart BEC", with a Y-harness to each ESC. The idea is that when LVC happens, the "Smart BEC" will cut power to BOTH motors at the same time -- it's an all-or-nothing deal.
Old Jun 08, 2007, 01:23 PM
East Hartford, CT
Joined Sep 2006
1,304 Posts
Red 61 care to describe this "Smart BEC"??? I'm very interested in using it on my me262 and p38
wedge98 is offline Find More Posts by wedge98
Old Jun 08, 2007, 02:08 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/SmartBEC.htm

However, keep in mind I have not TESTED this yet!!!

In the power-up tests I've performed, everything looks good. However, I have not flown the airplane, nor have I performed a ground test to LVC to see what happens.

If you give me a week or two, I should have a few flights under my belt.
Old Jun 08, 2007, 02:30 PM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
red 61,mate cheers for the help!!!

ive crashed 2 gws 262 and have the mk3 ready to go.i really want to keep this one.

do you have the rudder setup?

mark
Old Jun 08, 2007, 02:42 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
red 61,mate cheers for the help!!!
No problem; I'm glad to help!

Quote:
ive crashed 2 gws 262 and have the mk3 ready to go.i really want to keep this one.
I hear ya. Me too!

Quote:
do you have the rudder setup?
No -- rudder is not REQUIRED on any aileron airplane.
Old Jun 08, 2007, 02:43 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
now im scarced ken.where do you put the servo's and how do you set it up? any pics ?
Here are two photos of my rudder servo instalation and conections. The rudder servo, mounted inside the radiator cowling. All the rods are 1.5 mm carbon fiber.

The rod across the back that joins the two rudders has is made from 3 pieces. Two short pieces of rod are epoxied through the riudders and project about 10 mm inwards from each rudder. The area around the position of these rods, on both sides of each rudder, is reiforced with a single layer of 3/4 oz glass cloth that is about 1/2 inch square.

Then two short lengths of heat shrink tubing are used to connect the longer length of rod and to provide the fexible joints needed. After the tubing is heat shrunk small drops of CA glue are placed on each end of the tube. This CA wicks in between the tube and rod to make a secure joint.

I agree that when a single motor failure occurs you will need to cut the power back. But with rudders fitted you wil be able to use a higher throttle setting on the motor that is still running.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jun 08, 2007 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2007, 03:47 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Having crashed MANY P-38 models, I'm reasonably certain that no amount of rudder is going to keep a P-38 from crashing, when in a single-motor condition.
I will second that. The sudden asymetric thrust is going to do very bad things very quickly and unless you have lots of altitude to translate to time to chop the throttle and lean on opposite rudder (once you find out whch way you are twisting) adding a rudder for such a situation is kind of pointless.

Quote:
Finally, land immediately.
Yep!
The BEC will handle a situation where you overdraw your batteries and basically blank-out your receiver. The motors will cut off but you will still have control surfaces. Probably.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Jun 08, 2007, 04:25 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Quote:
..rudder is not REQUIRED on any aileron airplane.
I'm with you Red..
Rudders..!! ? ...We don't need no steenking rudders...
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)