SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 08:34 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Finally got the nerve to maiden my GWS 38 today.
I hate risking such a nice looking plane, but, well, I just had to try.
AS a note, the plane is setup as follows:
2 x E-flite Park 370 outrunners
Master Airscrew 9x7x3 counter-rotating props
18 amp Thunderbird esc in nacelles(no bec wire cut)
2100 ThunderPower 3s battery
CG is 76mm from LE
Differential thrust is setup on this plane, but is not required as I have stearable nose wheel. I did test the effectiveness of diff. thrust on the runway, but did not use it for the maiden flight.

Plane taxis straight as an arrow thanks to the counter-rotating props.
Once it lifted off, it wanted to climb rather steeply, but this was more due to thrust and amount of elevator Iw as inputting to lift off.
Once level out, only a few clicks of down elevator were required and 2 clicks for right aileron.
SHe flew quite well and I only need just above 1/2 throttle for decent cruising. I did keep it at 3/4 throttle for most of the flight to be safe though.
5 mins of flying and brought it in for landing.
On touchdown, just before the plane stopped rolling, the main wheels came off and rolled off to the sides, but zero damage occured as the wire struts promptly halted any movement

I am very relieved now as I can fly it again without being so nervous and feeing the need to have a bowel movement if you know what I mean.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2007, 09:40 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
kahloq

Welcome the P-38 maiden club!

I find it interesting that just about everyone has butterflies before flying the GWS-38. It's such a big plane, especially a TWIN! But uniformly, the result has been "WOW! This is a sweet handling plane. I love it! Whay did I wait?"

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:16 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
I love it! Whay did I wait?"
Jim
Cuz it just looks too dam good. I had just totaled an FSK ME-109G yesterday(not my fault...manual cg is way the heck off...I even had it further forward).
My P-38 has been built since late Oct last year, but, to me, it looked way to good to see it in a pile of foam and I needed to appreciate its good looks for a while before I could risk trying to fly it. I had some pretty bad luck with several planes last year(99% mechanical failures...1% was a pilot error - seriously! not joking here) so I waited to fly this one hoping that nastyness was gone.
I actually maidened the 262 well before this one because I knew there was a replacement plane at the LHS in case something happened(which I ended up buying as a back-up anyhow). I had fewer reservations about the 262 simply because of that. Sure, I could have ordered another P-38, but the amount of work I put into the plane makes it so I have more of an attachment to it and it does take longer to build then the 262.
Plus, last but not least, all the other ppl at my club are real eager to see this one fly, so there was some pressure there as well not to dork it in. WInds have not be cooperative esxcept for today. Since Nov 06, there has been few days of calm enough windsto maiden a plane on. Flying one you know is already ok is different, but a maiden is well, you get the idea.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:46 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Congrats!
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Apr 10, 2007, 06:20 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 1999
1,293 Posts
Great work GWS. Nice designing and engineering. I can see where it took some time to make and perfect the molds for the foam parts. Great item for the going price. Puts Alfa to shame, considering what their kits sell for.
Gene is online now Find More Posts by Gene
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:33 PM
Joined Nov 2006
26 Posts
Hi all, i'm new here and after reading through ALL this, i've decided to get myself one with the b/l motors. Unfortunately it seems that they are back ordered till late this month (whatever that means). Does anyone know when they will be available again in NY? thanks GWS for your great planes.
Revelations is offline Find More Posts by Revelations
Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:42 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
Revelations,

One of my favorite online vendors, www.allerc.com, has them available with the brushless motors. And if you get your order to $100 or more, you get free shipping. Plus look at the website and find the details about getting $5 off your first order with them.

Here's a link to all of the GWS-38 kits on their site:

http://www.allerc.com/advanced_searc...?keywords=p-38

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:25 PM
Joined Nov 2006
26 Posts
Just ordered from allerc...thank you, thank you!!!
Old Apr 24, 2007, 06:37 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,212 Posts
You're welcome. Enjoy the kit!

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:46 AM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Aug 1999
1,293 Posts
All-E-RC is the only dealer that I could find that had the Hyperion extended prop adapters in various diameters. I ordered two prop adapters and got them in TWO DAYS!! They're long enough to install a GWS DD 9x5 prop and a Du-Bro 2-1/4" spinner with enough threaded area to bolt it onto the outrunner motor.

Here's the one I ordered:

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=2731
Gene is online now Find More Posts by Gene
Old Apr 29, 2007, 01:06 PM
NO GUTS NO GLORY!
Joined Apr 2007
4 Posts
Can Someone Tell Me Where I Can Buy A Front Nose Cone For My P 38?
keith sevin is offline Find More Posts by keith sevin
Old Apr 29, 2007, 01:19 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith sevin
Unfortunately, you can't... ...at this time...

We are all in hopes that GWS will make the plastic replacement parts available soon...
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Apr 29, 2007, 02:06 PM
AMA#900532
United States, TX, West Point
Joined Sep 2006
1,232 Posts
Yeah, it's time to annie up GWS! We need our replacement parts!
rifleman_btx is offline Find More Posts by rifleman_btx
Old Apr 30, 2007, 06:54 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith sevin
Keith
GWSUSA (I'll look for the phone#) will sell you a package for $27.00 plus shipping (and Ca. tax) with 2 Cowls and a nose along with all the plastic parts and rods.
A NPS GWS38 is $43.00. HMMMMMMM!
Anyway why don't you see if they will just sell the nose since no one will buy the replacement kit for that price.Maybe they will see that there is a market for just the Nose/Cowls
Let us know how you make out.

There were a few guys on R/C Groups who were trying to vacuform or mold pieces but no info has come out in a while.
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Apr 30, 2007, 10:37 AM
Joined Nov 2006
26 Posts
Wow, I just saw that horizonhobby has the p38 back ordered till early june. It would seem that allerc is the only one in that has it in stock.