HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 01:50 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Red,

Check out www.allerc.com. They have some lightweight electric spinners that range from 32mm to 63mm. I think the 52mm may be OK. These are VERY lightweight spinners designed specifically for electric setups. They have them in various colors and depths for e-props too. Worth a look.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2007, 02:54 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Anyone going to modify their GWS-38 to look like the XP-38 or YP-38? These were really streamlined in the nacelles, even more so than the E/F/G models. The radiotor bulges on the booms were a lot smaller too. Someday when I have more time......
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Feb 22, 2007, 03:18 PM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
Xp-38
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 22, 2007, 09:13 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Hey Red

I just ordered a set of these for my GWS P-38.

http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=2452

I ordered the 2" version. They appear to be more along the lines of the real P38 spinner (not as long as dubros and a more defined point). I'll compare them to the 2" dubros I have and report back here.
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Old Feb 26, 2007, 04:38 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Hi,

I had purchased a GWS-38 with two 2208 motors together with the ME-262 early bird. Since you good people said that these motors aren't really good enough for this plane, I thought of using them for something else.

When I was about to remove the per-attached bullet connector I noticed that there was a slit in the heat shrink tubing/insulation on one of the wires going into the motor. I pulled apart the heat sink tubing over the 3 wires going into the motor and noticed that the slit appears to go quite deep. I decided to remove the overall heat shrink and found that the wire tubing was slit all the way in! Furthermore, one of the motor winding wires have been cut or broken!

GWS, you really need to beef up on your QC. These commie China workers are gonna destroy your reputation!

I have attached the photos taken on my Nokia N71 handphone. Sorry about the resolution. I think the phone cannot take close-in photos worth a damn, and the battery charger on my digital camera is dead. I have been unable to locate a replacement for it.

I have completely cut all the winding wires, scraped off the insulation all around and resoldered them. Sorry my eysight and shaking hands are not good enough to solder just that 1 winding wire. The whole wire was then covered back with a long heat shrink tubing. A larger heat shrink tubing was used to hold together the three wires into the motor body again.

Sorry if the photos are a bit out of sequence.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Last edited by chewytm; Feb 27, 2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 06:22 PM
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Jan 2007
117 Posts
Chewytm> very nice job!!! It is now better that (they) could've done, obviously!! Sorry to hear about your findings,but, the up-side to this is, NOW you know your motors inside and out. I know I will look closely at the motors and wires from now on when I buy any!! Even if I have to remove them from the packaging. It is the only way to get what you expect and saves you from the headaches later. Thanx, Scott.
ElectricFlyGuy is offline Find More Posts by ElectricFlyGuy
Old Feb 27, 2007, 06:55 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
This is not the first time I have taken apart these motors. I have had occasion to replace the shaft numerous times. They are very weak and will bend on the slightest excuse, like a nose-over.

chewy

EDIT: I don't mean these 2 in particular. These are brand new. Just a previous one that I used for a Cessna. It is now currently being used in a GWS E-Starter for a slow relaxing fly.
Last edited by chewytm; Feb 27, 2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:20 PM
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Jan 2007
117 Posts
Price wise, are they worth buying and 'beefing' up? Are there rebuild kits of better quality for these motors? In case I missed it, can you post a link as to where you are buying your motors from>? Thanx,,, Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
This is not the first time I have taken apart these motors. I have had occasion to replace the shaft numerous times. They are very weak and will bend on the slightest excuse, like a nose-over.

chewy
ElectricFlyGuy is offline Find More Posts by ElectricFlyGuy
Old Feb 27, 2007, 08:58 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Hi ElectricFlyGuy,

You can try these sites:

http://www.epyaya.com/

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...rsus_index.asp

I bought mine directly from GWS with the 262 Earlybird programme.

chewy

PS: About the rebuilt kit, I don't know as I do not buil motors. The 3mm dia. replacement shaft for the GWS gearboxes may be used to replace the broken or bent shaft for these motors. You just need to file smooth the teeth on the shaft.
Last edited by chewytm; Feb 27, 2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:01 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
About the rebuilt kit, I don't know as I do not buil motors. The 3mm dia. replacement shaft for the GWS gearboxes may be used to replace the broken or bent shaft for these motors. You just need to file smooth the teeth on the shaft.
If I may add the GWS Gearbox shafts will also fit the Tower Pro 2208-21 the same way,by removing the teeth. Don't ask me why i know! LOL
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:51 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Oh, BTW, I think my 2 2208 motors were sent separately to me from Taiwan. I was told the China factory had run out of stock. So, you better check up on your Taiwan QC also, GWS.

chewy
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Another note to would-be potential owners of these motors. DO NOT over-tighten the mounting screws or any other, for that matter. You will strip the threads of the screw holes. Don't ask me how I know (happened to me with the first motor). The metal is soft. I don't know if they have improved it since my last complain months ago. I am not about to test it with these 2 new motors. Just use blue locktite.

chewy
Old Mar 25, 2007, 01:11 AM
who needs pistons?
mankato,mn
Joined Oct 2004
669 Posts
Maiden

Hey Guys. well the weather finally came around and so i figured nows the time. the 38 launched, flew and landed beautifully. the controls were zeroed out and it took 3 clicks of right rudder trim and nothing else. im running komodo doubles in it with fsk 3bladers on a 2100 3s. its balanced at the 85mm mark and very scale like performance. not a ton of speed but unlimited vertical. i set up flapperons (did not use on the maiden though) and differential thrust (which was very effective, even at minimal throws). all in all, i am very pleased with this bird. thanks for another good kit GWS!
nopistons96 is offline Find More Posts by nopistons96
Old Mar 25, 2007, 02:54 AM
Suspended Account
ni'ihau
Joined Nov 2003
3,241 Posts
great lighting on that lightning...
(in flight photos)
jimbo
Eljimb0 is offline Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:03 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,700 Posts
Nopistons96,

Great 38 ! It seems you have set up rudder, flapperons and differential thrust on it.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN