SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2007, 08:18 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipStalled
3 cell 2100 TP's swinging 8x6x3 contra rotating vario-props.
Gotta picture? I'm considering those with Hacker 20-20L motors. Higher KV, I think, so I should be OK on speed.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2007, 11:46 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
WOW! Very impressive pulls! Now -- what about spinners? Please?
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Feb 08, 2007, 12:36 AM
Joined Jan 2007
445 Posts
Here's shots of the GWS-38 that I just built for a good friend of mine. He wanted something in military markings that would still really show up in the sky.
SMRTIC is offline Find More Posts by SMRTIC
Old Feb 08, 2007, 12:45 AM
NW Victoria Australia
Joined Sep 2003
482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
WOW! Very impressive pulls! Now -- what about spinners? Please?
Now theres a thought, spinners, the base of the existing GWS spinners could be used and the light weight clear dome could slip over the top of the base and be secured by small screws
Bthree is offline Find More Posts by Bthree
Old Feb 08, 2007, 01:12 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Are you asking about 2 or 3 blade spinners? I would have assumed three blade spinners but the GWS supplied is for 2 blades isn't it? I haven't looked at them as I ordered the very nice Great Planes 2 blade spinners with the aluminum backplate.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Feb 08, 2007, 01:40 AM
NW Victoria Australia
Joined Sep 2003
482 Posts
I was thinking of the 2 blade spinners but the three blade spinners are exactly the same design.

The clear cone could slip over the GWS spinner backplate, the GWS spinner supplied could take a slight increase in diameter. Cut-outs be done for the blade openings, this combo would make a very light spinner that looks one piece and could be contoured to match full scale shape, I am happy with the shape of a GWS spinner but some here claim they are not exact scale
Bthree is offline Find More Posts by Bthree
Old Feb 08, 2007, 01:42 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS
Did a bit of work on the -38 yesterday. It was like therapy. Work was a bear last week, Thursday and Friday especially. Ever hear the saying "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you"? Made a meal of me and no leftovers!

The plaster parts are rough as yet. I tried to sculpt the forward part of the cowl to pull in near the lower intake below the spinner. I think that GWS got the spinner size wrong. I think that it looks too big when compared to photos of the real thing. The proportions of the spinner to intakes is off. I'm no rivet counter so it's no big deal to me. I'll pull a part on each to see where they need work.

The pilot is sized to represent a 5'6" to 6' tall pilot in 1/12th to 1/13th scale. Now the hard part is to figure out if I can vacuform him. I'll have to take a closer look at him to see if he has any undercuts or concave areas that will capture the plastic. It's made of sculpley (sp?) which cures in the oven in about 20 minutes at 275 deg. Sands and carves ok after curing too. Not overly heavy either so I can use him as is if I need to.

Thoughts?

Mike
Mike,

I think your sculpture of the pilot bust is fantastic. I source mine from a guy in the UK who also provides very fine detail. I'm guessing he's using a latex mould. For a latex mould I'd guess you take your bust as is - coat it with a separator - and then give it a thick coat of latex. When that dries it ought to pull off giving you a female mould into which you can pour a suitable material to get back to a "male" replica of your original sculpture, and of course its more or less infinitely re-usable. When I was a kid we used to be able to buy these moulds to make little figures we could cast in plaster of paris - not suitable for pilots!! I wish I knew what my supplier used. It comes out as a very thin hard shell over a rigid foam base - very fine detail and weighs next to nothing at all. Maybe its a two stage process - paint something in that will give you the detail and finish and then "fill" with an expanding foam. Sorry I can't give you more information.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 08, 2007, 07:56 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRTIC
Here's shots of the GWS-38 that I just built for a good friend of mine. He wanted something in military markings that would still really show up in the sky.
The airplane looks cool -- but tell me about your avitar!

Quote:
Are you asking about 2 or 3 blade spinners? I would have assumed three blade spinners but the GWS supplied is for 2 blades isn't it? I haven't looked at them as I ordered the very nice Great Planes 2 blade spinners with the aluminum backplate.
2-blade. If someone wants to cut the plastic for a 3-blade prop, they can do that themselves. I'd like to see you try to use the Dubro spinners as a mould -- I think it would work really well.
Old Feb 08, 2007, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Here's a few more pics. I made a test pull using .060" plastic. I don't know if it's ABS or styrene. Came out okay so I'm going to make it from this size plastic. I'll give the spinners a try but I can't spend a lot of time on this as I already have a nice set of spinners but for two blades. I'll make a short run of cowls for us for spares but I don't have the time to make a big run. It just takes too long standing there waiting for the plastic to sag not to mention the hassle of going to the post office. If I can streamline this operation then maybe I'll make more. Once I find out what material and posting costs I can let you all know. My stuff is not perfect as you can see in the photos. I still want to try to make one of the other noses for the -38 too. I need to find out what kind of plastic I've used here as I really like the way it molded down. I have to raise the buck a bit higher and flair the base more to get rid of that last bit of webbing at the very back edge of the cowl.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2007, 03:09 PM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Sweet -- I'd love to see a build thread of how you made the cowls...
Old Feb 08, 2007, 04:48 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
Nice job on the vacuforming, Carrera!
I seem to be having a situation here where I'm breaking props on landings. Usually I have no probs on sliding in belly landers, but I've broken two APC 8x8 E props in a row on mine, on what I'd call perfect landings. I have put on a pair of the GWS HD 9050's, which are more flexible, and we'll see how that goes. I really liked the performance of the APC's though, so I'm hoping I'm not going to give up any top end speed.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Feb 08, 2007, 05:11 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,638 Posts
Quote:
Here's a few more pics. I made a test pull using .060" plastic.
Mike,

Those pulls came out very nice indeed! Can you tell us what you ended up with diameter wise where the cowling meets the spinner? Is it the same size as the stock GWS cowlings, or did you narrow them down some? I used DuBro 2.25" spinners on mine, and they are just a hair smaller in diameter than the GWS cowling. It would be nice to have them taper down to blend with a 2" spinner.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 08, 2007, 09:36 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Thanks guys. It's starting to look nicer. The spinner diameter is unchanged from the 2.25". I bought the right size spinners when I ordered the kit so I didn't change them. They are too big for scale though. I just had a though reading about your prop breaks-- like to make a set of drop tanks to mount as landing skids to protect the booms and props a bit. If I made them of .060" they should be robust enough to last yet weigh no more than a few grams.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2007, 09:46 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys. It's starting to look nicer. The spinner diameter is unchanged from the 2.25". I bought the right size spinners when I ordered the kit so I didn't change them. They are too big for scale though. I just had a though reading about your prop breaks-- like to make a set of drop tanks to mount as landing skids to protect the booms and props a bit. If I made them of .060" they should be robust enough to last yet weigh no more than a few grams.

Mike

Mike
I'm going to PM you with my address. You can put everything in one box to save time!
Merlin
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Feb 08, 2007, 11:15 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Sweet -- I'd love to see a build thread of how you made the cowls...

I'll see if I can get my wife to take some shots this weekend. It really is very simple. I can't believe that I waited all of these years to try it. Now I can build the Lancaster bomber that I've wanted for so long. I was put off by the number of clear parts and cowls for 4 motors.

Mike
RCG Plus Member