HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 02:17 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahloq
How long ago did you send in the application form?
Like Thursday or Friday night last week. Can't remember exactly which day.

I have leftover 350C's from powered kits I bought, but went brushless on, so I'll order an unpainted NPS and just throw those in. I need to go pick up an ICS600Li though.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:04 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
Isn't "scale performance" an oxymoron

If it's scale, it won't be performance.
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Old Aug 28, 2006, 03:47 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanguy&Laverdure
I think GWS38 doesn't need brushless motors. They are too fast... Especially if we want scale performances.
The GWS-38 is not too fast if you run the GWS2208-18T on 2 cells and a high pitch propeller. No wories about short motor life because of brush wear.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Aug 28, 2006 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Add text for clarity
Old Aug 28, 2006, 04:52 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanguy&Laverdure
I think GWS38 doesn't need brushless motors. They are too fast... Especially if we want scale performances.
Ken's right: brushless doesn't need to be the same as "rediculously over- powered"

The right outrunner setup will give you a smooth well-powered airplane that isn't exceedingly fast-- and with lower wingloading since the motors are lighter and the battery can be smaller.

(Which isn't to say that brushed won't work just fine, it will. Brushless is just better even if it's not faster))
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:03 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogon1013
Isn't "scale performance" an oxymoron

If it's scale, it won't be performance.
The word "performance" simply means that something does something and the word has no relationship meaning.

What you are refering to is "High performance" where an adverb has been added to give a relationship meaning.

In the case of "Scale Preformance" an extra word has been added to give a more precise definition of the amount of performance. So there is no oxymoron.

Ken
Old Aug 28, 2006, 05:11 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Ken, you are correct in the proper use of English!

The word "performance" by itself has been used to indicate "high" performance. Look at the BMW commercials where they talk about "performance automobiles". They never state high performance, so the "high" is implied. You know this is true; just look at the car they are talking about!

But again, you stated "scale performance", so you have indicated what kind of performance you were talking about. But at first read, it's not too hard to see the oxymoron in the statement!
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:39 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogon1013
Ray,

Are there gonna be 2 brushless options for the GWS38? one with 2208's, one with 2212's ?

I was only aware of the 2208 version.
Hi Toby,

Yes you are right. We do not offer 2212 in the package at this moment.

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Aug 28, 2006, 06:44 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkLover
Ken, you are correct in the proper use of English!

The word "performance" by itself has been used to indicate "high" performance. Look at the BMW commercials where they talk about "performance automobiles". They never state high performance, so the "high" is implied. You know this is true; just look at the car they are talking about!

But again, you stated "scale performance", so you have indicated what kind of performance you were talking about. But at first read, it's not too hard to see the oxymoron in the statement!
BMW is a German company so why use them as a reference for the English Language.

When the statement clearly indicates that "scale performance" is what is being talked about there can only be an oxymoron for those people not proficient in the English language.

Ken
Old Aug 28, 2006, 07:01 PM
Watts Rule, Glows Drool
orlando, FL
Joined Mar 2003
3,197 Posts
language is dynamic and words are created, and lost, and definitions change during the normal usage of a language. (remember old english...)

I was using the common definiton of "performance" as hawklover mentioned. BMW is not the only company that uses the word performance in place of high performance.

I thought we were done discussing the many definitions of terms? It was supposed to be a joke.... to try to lighten the mood
dogon1013 is offline Find More Posts by dogon1013
Old Aug 28, 2006, 07:10 PM
Callsign: CornDog
Milpitas, CA
Joined May 2003
5,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
BMW is a German company so why use them as a reference for the English Language.

When the statement clearly indicates that "scale performance" is what is being talked about there can only be an oxymoron for those people not proficient in the English language.

Ken
LOL!! That's a lot of people!

BTW, the BMW commercials are written here it the good old USA ... so what does that tell you!
HawkLover is offline Find More Posts by HawkLover
Old Aug 28, 2006, 08:56 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
So, enough with all the "performance" talk. Who's going to get theirs in the air first?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562583
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Aug 28, 2006, 09:43 PM
rhyl
Joined Jul 2005
181 Posts
what about finish folks? ive got some silver solarfilm ready. anyone considering glassing?
twchdyn is offline Find More Posts by twchdyn
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:07 PM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
GWS silver, with black invasion stripes added for mine.
Jag
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Aug 28, 2006, 10:47 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I have already done one in th RAAF colour scheme so at the moment I favor this scheme.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 11:04 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
First one will be silver with minimal detailing - I want to get some flight time in. Ordered a NPS white to "do it right" once I get the itch scratched.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr