HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:41 PM
Antwerp's Placebo
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2006
24 Posts
Discussion
Homebrew DLG Launch Problems

What can cause a DLG that has a sub-rudder (mine has equal rudder area above and below the boom) to roll over on its back on a discus launch? (Assume the total rudder area is adequate).

Tail moment too short?

CG too far back?

I thought the sub rudder would take care of this issue. I have flown the glider in light slope lift and thermaled that way. It flies fine, although a bit tail heavy (tucking from dives).

Thanks

Details:

Bagged 52" wing with AG foils
ailerons
6" dihedral total
non-functioning flat plate rudder
10.5 oz all up weight
Sail Aire is offline Find More Posts by Sail Aire
Last edited by Sail Aire; Aug 22, 2006 at 06:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:18 PM
Use The Force Jim
Las Cruces, NM USA
Joined Jul 2001
2,341 Posts
The one time I experienced what you are describing, was when the rudder was too small. I can say that without a doubt based on the following experiment.

One day while flying, a rough landing caused the sub rudder on my DLG to snap off. I wasn't ready to quit just yet so I threw again anyway. The plane did exactly as you described yours. It flipped inverted immediately after launch. The harder I threw, the sooner it would flip. I always managed to roll back upright fairly quickly and then the plane flew just fine at the lower glide speed.

Tail moment is a definitely a player in rudder area requirements. The longer the moment, the smaller the rudder can be because it has more leverage. So empenage area and tail moment are interdependent. Thus if you're absolutely sure that your rudder area is adequate then I would have to assume your tail moment is not adequate.

As for CG, DLG launch speed is similar to dive testing. An aft CG will make the plane want to tuck during the launch and a forward CG will make it want to balloon. I've played with CG in relation to launch and only a CG so rearward that the plane is basically unflyable would make it flip inverted on launch.

The only other thing I can think of is poor launch technique. If the pilot hangs on way too long past the optimum release point and cocks their wrist sharply, it's possible to flip the plane almost inverted.

Jim
Jim Walker is offline Find More Posts by Jim Walker
Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:03 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,395 Posts
Dominic,

Do you have photos of your setup?

Paul.
PLD is online now Find More Posts by PLD
Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:57 PM
Antwerp's Placebo
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2006
24 Posts
I will work on getting some photos posted. After the failed discus launches (my throwing technique might be a little off because I'm used to launching a poly DLG, but that one I can launch pretty well) I cut off the sub-rudder portion and flew it with just the portion above the boom on the slope. It displayed no yaw problems to speak of, even with the reduced vertical area, but of course we're not talking about launch forces here.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:16 PM
Joined Dec 2005
107 Posts
My Alula (different type of craft I know) started doing this on launch after traveling in the car on a hot afternoon running errands on the way to fly. Once in the air and righted it flew OK. One wing had warped up with the leading edge so it rolled too fast to see at launch speed but behaved at flight speed. Fixed the warp and it stopped rolling on launch....just a thought.
element2tandem is offline Find More Posts by element2tandem
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:18 PM
Antwerp's Placebo
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Aug 2006
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by element2tandem
My Alula (different type of craft I know) started doing this on launch after traveling in the car on a hot afternoon running errands on the way to fly. Once in the air and righted it flew OK. One wing had warped up with the leading edge so it rolled too fast to see at launch speed but behaved at flight speed. Fixed the warp and it stopped rolling on launch....just a thought.
Interesting thought. The plane IS carrying some aileron trim to offset the weight of the launch peg. I haven't counter-balanced the other wing yet...
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:49 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,450 Posts
There is a spreadsheet on my website that will calculate the desired tail sizes for any model sailplane/glider. It's pretty easy to use, all you need is a ruler and MS Excel.

The formulas are from Martin Simons book on Model Aircraft Aerodynamics and Mark Drela.

It's called Sailplane Calc.

http://h1.ripway.com/cloudyifr/files.htm

Curtis
Montana
Curtis Suter is offline Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:24 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,395 Posts
I for one can attest to the usability and usefulness of the results that Curtis's spreadsheet provides.

When originally designing the QFII, I used Curtis's data to confirm my original choices.

Paul.
PLD is online now Find More Posts by PLD
Old Aug 23, 2006, 05:00 AM
xtc
outrageously large member
no-where near tx
Joined Feb 2004
937 Posts
the second thing [other than the tail] is the boom

i built two bugs ,one had a wippy boom and the other a nice wrapped boom

the larger dia. wrapped boom was fine but the protruded 1/8 cf tube was bad

the boom stiffness is very important also ,equally as important as the tail

xtc
xtc is offline Find More Posts by xtc
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:05 AM
United States, KS, Andover
Joined Oct 2005
539 Posts
I can sometimes do the same thing with my scratch built plane. When it got really bad, I discovered that my rudder hinge was about to fail. Fixed that and it still had a tendency to roll left on me (right handed). I started working more on my launch and that has helped.
markschaffin is offline Find More Posts by markschaffin
Old Aug 24, 2006, 08:06 PM
Congress, AZ
Joined Sep 2001
4,858 Posts
Do you mean that the plane rolls (left or right?) or that it is on it's back at the top of the launch?

You shouldn't have to worry about counter balancing the launch peg, unless it's made of lead How much aileron are you using?
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Aug 24, 2006, 08:42 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,216 Posts
Nm
:d
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle