HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2001, 07:09 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2000
1,197 Posts
Home made oleo legs......

I wanted some oleo legs for my X32b Vtol project ( www.awatson1.fsnet.co.uk ) and after spending loads of money on 3 brushless motors, 3 ESC's, fans etc I wanted to build my own.

I used two pieces of brass tube (K&S) with one fitting inside the other. After much dremel cutting and some fine filing I think the results are quite good. I will post some pictures later today to show the results.

The tubes enclose a spring which has a maximum 3kg force (to fully compress it) and I only hope that any heavy landings will be absorbed. The total cost for all the parts required must have been less than $10!!!!

I also made my front wheel attachment from carbon fibre tows with excellent results, again pictures will follow later today.

Doc
Doc Watson is offline Find More Posts by Doc Watson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2001, 07:20 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Watson:

The tubes enclose a spring which has a maximum 3kg force (to fully compress it) and I only hope that any heavy landings will be absorbed.
Doc
When we used to make our own oleos for GDF, we used a spring rate of 6xmodel weight per in.

So a 5lb model would use a 30lb/in spring on each main leg.

Cheers

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Jun 09, 2001, 07:33 AM
UK
Joined Mar 2000
1,197 Posts
My expected (or should I say planned) AUW is 9lb!! so do I need stiffer springs?, remember its not landing 'conventionally' its the VTOL thing. I also have three UC legs which will spread the load, this makes a difference, right?

I just calculated that my spring compresses fully to about 1/2 inch so thats about 13lb/inch stiffness. Still dosent sound as if its stiff enough using your figures.

Doc

[This message has been edited by Doc Watson (edited 06-09-2001).]
Old Jun 09, 2001, 11:21 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,246 Posts
Springs alone make for rather poor energy absorption characteristics. Dampening of some sort would be required to prevent 'bounce back'.. perhaps the coil- over units from RC cars might be worth considering as an alternate.. barring price considerations some of the available units are adjustable for compression/rebound as well as spring rate... wieght and bulk might be a consideration tho... certainly worth exploring.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jun 09, 2001, 12:17 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
For damping you can stuff the oleo tube with a foam like EPP that can compress with a slow full recovery. You can actually use the foam instead of springs. This would be similiar to what is often used in bicycle suspensions.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Jun 09, 2001, 07:37 PM
UK
Joined Mar 2000
1,197 Posts
Hear is the one I made earlier.......

Doc

[This message has been edited by Doc Watson (edited 06-09-2001).]