SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:41 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Contest
CASA F5B (OLD VA F5B) September 30 - October 1, 2006

Don Barker has had a full load and he has asked me to help with getting the contest organized. We have about 5 weeks of practice time, and everyone should be stoked from the reports coming in from the World's. What follows is pretty much a copy from the original thread.

The contest will be run in the normal VA F5B fashion with two classes: 16 cells and 10 cells. Many pilots will be flying FAI legal F5B and F5F planes, but there will be no measurements or weights taken. The only difference between the two classes will be the number of sub c or smaller NiMh cells; i.e. 10 cells and under and 11-16 cells. Due to safety concerns by the hosting club, absolutely no Lipos are allowed in competitive airframes. Exceptions will be made only for Warmliners, and Foamies. This is a fly what you have contest. The primary purpose is to have fun and allow all individuals the chance to participate in a F5B format contest.

We will fly only 5 minutes for duration to speed things up. I believe we may be able to get proper timing equipment and as I get details I will post them to this thread. Motor infractions will be called as warnings. The purpose of this contest is to learn and have fun. Competitive pilots will need to bring a spare receiver on your flying channel to interface with the timing equipment. This timing system will time each leg and all motor runs. It will signal motor infractions.

The majority of flying will be on Saturday, starting first flights at about 9:00 and trying to wrap up comfortably in time for a group dinner. We will finish the flying on Sunday in time for the out-of-towners to comfortably start home; the die-hards can fly until they have nothing left to fly.

The course is a left handed course (if the winds change the course may change). As with all fields, one needs to familiarize themselves with the location of the plane eating trees that come into play on long straight-in approaches and with wide turns not initiated from the proper side of the course.

The directions to the flying site can be found on CASA’s web site http://www.soarcasa.org under flying sites on the bottom of the page. There are maps and descriptions on how to get to the site. The address of the turn off to the field is 600 East Gude Drive, directly across the street from Fisher Lumber. You need to drive through the group of building, pass through the chain link fence and head up the hill on the dirt road. The flying site is on top of an old landfill.

I can tell you that flying in MD in September is as good as it gets for flying weather. I will post more details in this thread as things come together...

Details: (Sept.1)

Cost will be $25 to fly both days, this is primarily to assist in paying for lunch and equipment. If there is any surplus it will go to the hosting club. You must bring your own charging battery as none will be supplied.

Field will open at 8am, pilots meeting at 8:30 (Start charging your batteries), flights will begin at 9am.

Please bring your own stop watch/clip board/pen!! None will be supplied at the contest.

Coffee and pastries will be provided in the morning, and a sandwich, chips and beverage for lunch (included with the pilots fee). We will meet for Dinner on Saturday ~6:00pm across the street from the club.(NOT included with the pilots fee).
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Last edited by soholingo; Sep 01, 2006 at 09:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:51 PM
Vienna, VA, USA
Joined Dec 2005
774 Posts
October 31 - September 1, 2003 ?????
Resurgam is offline Find More Posts by Resurgam
Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:26 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Thanks, That's what I get for posting in the AM.
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:45 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,815 Posts
Thought you might be stuck in some kind of time warp.

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:34 AM
Vienna, VA, USA
Joined Dec 2005
774 Posts
Err, Soho, it's still in a time warp - should it be September 30 - October 1?
Resurgam is offline Find More Posts by Resurgam
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:58 AM
UK
Joined Sep 2002
988 Posts
Jay

Can we all have some of what your drinking !!!

Brian
Brian Wa is online now Find More Posts by Brian Wa
Old Aug 23, 2006, 09:32 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Well now that we have the date settled, who's coming and on what frequency?

As it stands I am flying the

Bandit on 7 or 10 cells Frequency 36

I may bring another plane, but this plane is ready to go...

John I am hoping that you are flying this year.

Jay
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:28 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2004
3,086 Posts
Hi Jay,

Can I get an address for your event; perhaps the nearest commercial airport and hotel recommendations too?

It would be fun to actually meet up with you and your gang in person.

Thanks,

Eric
epwierman is offline Find More Posts by epwierman
Old Aug 23, 2006, 12:37 PM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
BWI, DCA, or IAD are your choices (all ~ 30 minutes to the field). Any hotel in Rockville, MD would work. All the major and budget chains are there.
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift
Old Aug 23, 2006, 02:13 PM
Joined Aug 2004
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift
BWI, DCA, or IAD are your choices (all ~ 30 minutes to the field). Any hotel in Rockville, MD would work. All the major and budget chains are there.
Cool - thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:44 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Steal the corporate jet.. fly into KCXY (5,000' available) and I'll pick you up..only 1.5 hours from there to CASA. Oh, pending no "pop up" trips, I'll be there .., S13 on channel 32.... I don't think you'll get into DCA without a lot of red tape... IAD has it's drawbacks too but a killer long runway.. BWI?... no thanks..
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Last edited by tic; Aug 23, 2006 at 10:51 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:35 AM
Joined Aug 2004
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Steal the corporate jet.. fly into KCXY (5,000' available) and I'll pick you up..only 1.5 hours from there to CASA. Oh, pending no "pop up" trips, I'll be there .., S13 on channel 32.... I don't think you'll get into DCA without a lot of red tape... IAD has it's drawbacks too but a killer long runway.. BWI?... no thanks..
Thanks man. I'd be in commercially if I can make it. Ch 18 if I fly. But, all I have is lipo, so I might just have to spectate and help out.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:59 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epwierman
Thanks man. I'd be in commercially if I can make it. Ch 18 if I fly. But, all I have is lipo, so I might just have to spectate and help out.

If you're going to travel coast to coast for the contest, why not just spring for a nimh pack and fly too?

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:10 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
If you're going to travel coast to coast for the contest, why not just spring for a nimh pack and fly too?

Lenny
It would be very lucky if you could interchange batterys.
Usually lipo/motor combos are high volt/low amps.
Nihms are the opposite.

For myself, I would have to change both the motor and esc to allow for the change...not just the battery pack.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Aug 24, 2006, 02:11 PM
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Feb 2003
2,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
For myself, I would have to change both the motor and esc to allow for the change...not just the battery pack.
Are you higher than 5S?
down_shift is offline Find More Posts by down_shift