SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:36 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Build Log
The DeHavilland Rapide for Twin IPS

Well, after weeks of drafting and head scratching. the preliminary plans for the Dragon Rapide are finished and the parts are in Hand. The model will have a 42" span with a wing area around 300 sq. in. Power will be twin 3.5:1 IPS drives swinging 7-6 props via a 1320 2 cell battery. Guidence is 4 ch. R/C. Just imagine, a biplane, a twin, and a cabin type airliner all rolled up into one neet little package!!!
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:39 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Building the Tail Planes

The tail planes were done first -- mostly, cause they're easy! The outlines were bowed using 1/16 X 1/8 balsa with 1/6 sq. spars and 1/16 X 1/8 ribs. Nothing out of the ordinary here.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:39 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAH!!!! I can't wait to see this one Pat - great choice!

-Sky
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:42 PM
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Aug 2003
1,923 Posts
Oh my! I can feel those bytes flowing out of my bank account already! Great subject Pat.

-James.
jamesgood72 is offline Find More Posts by jamesgood72
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:44 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Building the Fuselage

The fuselage frame on the Rapide is really nothing out of the ordinary either, but getting the cabin side window frames faired into the wing saddle took a bit of simple trickery.

The frame itself is laid out with 1/16 X 1/8 and 1/8 sq. balsa, with 1/16 sq. balsa fill trimmed to wedges to support the window frame piece, which fairs into the top stringer while leaving the wing saddle flat.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:47 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Assembling the Frame

The side frames are joined using balsa crosspieces and 3 formers. As with all DeHavilland airplanes, the form is a bit complicated, but not hard to duplicate. You just have to deal with the typical odd twists and turns that these airplanes form.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:50 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Adding the Top and Side Stringers

The 1/16 sq, balsa top and side stringers were located and glued in place. The bottom stringers are in place now too, but there's no photo of those yet. Will get that in the morning before construction begins on the wings.

PAT
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:58 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Sky, I'm not surprized that you're here already, I know this is your kind of airplane!!!

James, This one will be going out as a full kit, so you'll have some time to finish up those projects you're working on now and get the bench clear when the time comes!

PAT
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:07 PM
MAAC 6251
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2002
699 Posts
Oh man Pat, you have picked one of my two most dreamed of planes (Constellation is the other). If you plan to kit this, please put me on your list to get one.
There were several built in Canada for Canadian Airways Limited and had a nice color scheme too. They had orange wings and a deep blue fuselage with a large Canadian Airways Limited insignia on the nose. They also had an extra fin strake like the military version in England called Dominie and looked very cool.
Rob.
RobZ is offline Find More Posts by RobZ
Last edited by RobZ; Aug 21, 2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 09:39 PM
Balsa is love....
Los Gatos, CA
Joined Aug 2004
1,039 Posts
Pat - Does full kit mean Dumas? Or will Charlie be kitting this one?

-Sky
glue_sniffer is offline Find More Posts by glue_sniffer
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:14 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
sweet subject!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:26 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
Now you have totally done it! I love that plane! I have gotten magazines with the plans for large scale gas powered versions with the hope of scaling them down someday, but I know Pat's version will be far superior to any type of "slimer" construction.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:31 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,582 Posts
Man, do I love that airplane......I will be getting one of these, at some size.

Pat, do PLEASE consider a larger offering, as well....I'd love one a bit bigger sized for twin GWS outrunners.

Years ago, my good flying buddy Curly Rucker had a 96" span Rapide, from the Schwitzer plans available through an old ad in Scale R/C Modeler.....twin OS .50 FSR glow motors.

I was his pilot designee for 5-6 years with that model and it made the local giant scale circuit all around.

The handling was a bit of a mix...it needed to be carefully flown, but flown right, it was incredibly rewarding. It would make the most beautiful wheel landings, when you were on your game. It was a little lacking in positive directional stability, but not in a terrible way.

One of my proudest moments flying R/C was flying the big Rapide in Team Scale at the old George Meyer Memoral scale event (to honor the high craftsmanship of the designer of the Lil' Toot experimental biplane, put on by the son of the designer, Tommy Meyer), at the old Northlake R/C field in the DFW area.

There was a fairly nasty crosswind gusting that day and I absolutely nailed a perfect wheel landing and controlled rollout. None other than Claude McCullough, scale god, came up and warmly complimented me on my flying that day.....

It lived for about 126 flights over a number of years, and survived a number of engine out landings.

I will try to scan some pics...the model I flew was especially pretty in mostly royal blue with some white on the fuse, fin and nacelles, with some maroon trim. I found a pic of the real one on airliners.net. Registry was C-FAYE and it was known and as "The Lady Faye". Note the rare increased area dorsal fin fairing.

More on the Lady Faye here:

http://www.bushplane.com/data/displa...alue=display15
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Aug 21, 2006 at 11:55 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:36 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,528 Posts
You know, I was hoping someone was going to come out with one of these in about this size. I have been looking at my Ivan Pettigrew set of Rapide plans a couple times lately, prepping to build it this winter....now maybe I'll wait for this one.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:41 PM
Baboon McGoon
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Joined Jun 2002
678 Posts
I really love this airplane, too. Its such a wonderful odd duck rolled into a single package; a twin-engined cabin biplane with all those wonderful DeHavilland aerodynamic touches. Signed up to take a ride in one in the UK at Duxford a couple of years ago, but weather forced cancellation of the flight. I was totally bummed!
ClipperBill is offline Find More Posts by ClipperBill
Closed Thread