HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2006, 09:44 PM
Joined Sep 2006
63 Posts
I am in the process of building my new Delta. Question: I see that most of you are not using hot glue. Is there a problem with it? I used 100% HG on my first one, with exception of the firewall being glued to the fuse. It has held up great in the 4 times I have flown the plane. I've put this thing thru the ringer with the CF Rods on both wings and it flies great... should I shy away from the hot glue? Also, where are most of you getting your motors, etc. from? I've got a good source, but they are a little limited. I have been using the 8/4 prop and with the Tower Pro 2408-21 with is a 1750 KV. The Tower Pro motors are cheap... but am I missing out?? Heck, if what I read above works on this motor, I'd LOVE to put a 6/4 prop on and get 50+ MPH!! I actually flew this plane today with a 5/5 and it worked decently... not nearly as much speed or vertical climb, but was neat to try... Prop-er, needless to say as easy as this is to fly, as versitle as it is, and as FUN as it is (not to mention it's CHEAP and easy to build... especially with the new firewall design) this will be the plane I build for my brother for his B-Day. I'll try to get some kick butt video this weekend! WITH NO CUB IN IT!! That was an accident!

Hey, is there any online guide of motors/specs with props, etc. showing you what combo you can use for a particular weight to see how it will work??? I'd love to know some of yalls favorite combos!! I'm taking a week's vacation from work next week and plan on doing some building!

Thanks again!

Mark
thetriguy is offline Find More Posts by thetriguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2006, 10:31 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Mark - I was buying tube after tube, day after day searching for the perfect glue. I primarily use three things now. Hot glue 95% of the time, and split the remaining 5% between gws glue and UHU Creativ.

Most folks that I know down here are also building primarily with hot glue guns.

I'm sure you've seen/heard folks telling everyone to stay away from the 'hot' guns too and only use the low temp stuff... Well lemme tell ya... Ya can learn a thing or two hanging around geezers (hehehe).

They (the geezers) use the high-temp gun to weld the foam and lay a bead of glue at the same time. Very neat method of laying in a bamboo spar/longeron to strenghten a fuse.

Pretty neat stuff.

-mike s.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Oct 03, 2006, 11:06 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
About motors, I've used this site some. http://www.peakeff.com/ there are others, there is even software to calculate various values for you too. You can find a lot of it in the motor and power forums.

Remember weight is not the only factor, at speed wind resistance is a huge factor. Except for slow vertical performance, wind resistance is normally the bigger factor. Vendors quote that a motor is good for such and such a weight range because they are assuming that a model of a given weight will have a common wind resistance and performance profile, and because wind resistance numbers are a bit complex.

The disadvantage of that towerpro motor and the battery it requires is weight, and in this case it means an increase in the stall speed. And for me that means I have to fly in a much larger space than I like. The DYI cdrom motors are cheap and not so hard to make.

For glue I favor a polyU glue like gorrilla or the contact cement like UHU Creativ because of weight.

Allen
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
Old Oct 04, 2006, 06:24 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
In my order of preference:

- Hot Glue: most all of the joints and spars.
- 5min Epoxy: Some places where hot glue won't work.
- Polyurethane Glue: Where light weight and super strength are needed, as well as gap filling. Time can not be an issue. Mix w/ 25% Elmers white glue for fast foaming and faster setting time.
- Odorless CA: Where a perfect tear is made in foam, and some simple joints that don't need too much strength. Use foam-safe kicker by dipping a paper clip in a puddle of it and rubbing the joint.
- Regular CA: other plastics, wood, and such.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 04, 2006, 08:26 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,162 Posts
Over time , we found the CA becomes brittle and separates, so does epoxy ... The big winner is HG,and keeps our very old foamies together ... Weight is no problem if used smartly... See TOG for welding instructions...
also Ca causes the joins on foam to break(that's why the kit manufacturers recommend ca...sell more kits) under stress(crashes) while the HG allow the structure to bend...allowing much extended life of Foamies ...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 04, 2006, 08:59 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
Tonight i will be busy with red felt pen...

Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Oct 04, 2006, 10:06 AM
Joined Sep 2006
63 Posts
Great, this helps a lot!! Thanks everyone! rab, you mentioned power requirements for the tower pro being a disadvantage. I guess this is because the weight of the motor?? I don't fly the REAL small stuff, something like this duplex to me is considered small, and this plane flies extremely slow with this motor. I'd like to one day make a very small plane for indoor, and I'm sure the tower pro is to big for that!! Where do you get your CDR kits from? I'd like to try one!
Old Oct 04, 2006, 10:21 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
In which part of the world are you hiding?
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Oct 04, 2006, 11:48 PM
rab
----***----
Arlington, Virginia
Joined Aug 2004
702 Posts
For motor kits you could try http://www.gobrushless.com or http://www.strongrcmotors.com.

Allen
rab is offline Find More Posts by rab
Old Oct 05, 2006, 08:01 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,162 Posts
Schmaybe' I'm just too old and DUMB to "get it" but is the rudder a double thickness , the result of joining the two sides ???? Discarded the first set of carefully cut templetes (old plan ) ...new one seems so much simpler ... old one was like a puzzle ...hahahaha
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 05, 2006, 08:59 AM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
gpw
rudder is 2 piece joined (double thick)
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Oct 05, 2006, 09:45 AM
Joined Sep 2006
63 Posts
Prop-er, I live in Lynchburg, VA. Guess I need to fix my profile so all of that shows up!
Old Oct 05, 2006, 09:49 AM
Joined Sep 2006
63 Posts
One more little question... I went to the peakeff site rab referred me to.... here is what I don't quite grasp. Some proppellers give MORE mph but less thrust... I would think 20 ounces of thrust would give more speed anytime than 15 ounces... There are so many different combos listed for the BP21 motor I have on this plane. Do I simply want to select the prop combo that is listed as the most efficient??? I understand most efficient doesn't always mean the fastest... But I'm looking for speed!!! :-)

Thanks again!!

Mark
Old Oct 05, 2006, 09:55 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Roughly speaking... :

Power = speed x thrust

So, increase one and decrease the other.

To increase speed, reduce diameter and increase pitch.
To increase thrust, reduce the pitch and increase the diameter.

Simple enough?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 05, 2006, 10:32 AM
A 3rd dimension?
Everett, WA.
Joined Feb 2005
128 Posts
Thank you Gene,

It's like a litebulb went on while reading that. Why have I not seen it explained like that before? Too easy I guess.
rcboats1 is offline Find More Posts by rcboats1