SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2006, 05:08 PM
If it ain't broke...break it!
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
I'm so pleased with this one I decided to take photos before I mess it up!

GWS 2205/15T outrunner
APC E 8 x 4
The 30A ESC with the dented capacitor I'd forgotten about and found in a drawer.
GWS 4ch RX
5 gram servos (cheap, also from the bottom of the drawer)
3S1P 1200 mAh LiPo

AUW 270 grams with about 450 grams of thrust

Thanks prop-er for a great set of plans

Hope to maiden it as soon as it stops raining. And when it's got light again...
Hangtight is offline Find More Posts by Hangtight
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:11 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Looks great!

Need to color that canopy, though
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:13 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,984 Posts
Hangtight - please let us know how that motor works out for you...

I've got two, but haven't yet put either on a plane...

-mike s.
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Old Sep 29, 2006, 07:31 PM
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
You're right about the canopy. Kids haven't got the right colour pens though Might try to convince some vinyl that compound curves are a good thing.

Mike, I really can't complain about the motors considering they only cost £10. I've only tried them on 3S with the 8 x 4 prop, but they managed to heave a 360 gram plane off the floor with about 3' of takeoff run. The shafts are a bit soft tho'. I've got two of these motors and both have got bent. Fortunately 3mm dia rods can be pulled out of CD drives and these seem to be much harder. A couple of flats ground for the grub screws and job's a good 'un.

I'm just about to attempt rewinding one after a mount failure ripped the wires out at the stator. Any ideas for something hot to spin about a 5 x 5 on 3S?
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:32 PM
Joined Sep 2006
63 Posts
Hangtight, nice looking plane! I kinda set mine on the back burner after failing miserably on the nose. It looked awful. I ended up wrapping electrical tape all over it and just coloring it black. My firewall ended up being HUGE as the hold was almost as big around as a can. I don't think I cut the grooves correctly. I'd take pictures but I'm too embarassed!

Mark
thetriguy is offline Find More Posts by thetriguy
Old Sep 30, 2006, 04:46 AM
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
Triguy,

the grooves and the curvature in your pictures look good to me. To get the little round firewall to fit I had to do a little trimming of the straight edges of the formed section. I marked the centre across the firewall disc and lined that up with the 'points' at the forwardmost end of the sides. Then I kind of squidged the curve round the firewall until there was the same amount hanging over each side of the centre line. The front triangular bits of the sides can then be used as a guide for your knife.

Has anyone else had problems with the former tab holes not lining up?

This was my first attempt at bending foam. Up until now I've always carved shapes from solid. Not sure if this is any quicker or lighter, but I'm really impressed with how strong the construction is. A lot less mess as well!

Looking forward to flying as soon as it's not raining/ blowing a gale/ dark/ any or all of the above.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 05:56 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Mine wasn't exact, but then again, I'm not a precise cutter from the paper templates, either... Squidge is a good term

I, too trimmed the mating edges from the top and bottom curves as they met the triangular sides. Still, my nose-hole wound up much larger than the plan, so I cut a new one

I stood it up on a sheet of paper, traced it, cut it out as a pattern, and cut a foam piece. Then I cut a 1/8" lite-ply piece slightly smaller... Some PU glue, and tape to hold it all overnight, and went after it with the dremel in the morning, making it sloped about right and almost round
Old Sep 30, 2006, 11:48 PM
Joined Sep 2006
63 Posts
OK well here is mine. Hopefully it will still fly with my huge firewall! I equipped this thing of beauty with a Tower Pro 2908-21 from RC Hot Deals. I have the same type of motor on a few other planes and am really happy with the results. Hopefully the 9/4.7 will work OK on it, as I don't have an 8/4!! I put a carbon rod on the bottom, as the wing got a little tweaked from the hot glue. This plane is 100% hot glue, with exception of the firewall. I figured I'd make sure I could do it, and if if flies put some time in the next one and build it right. My front turned out terrible looking, but I covered it with electical tape. Once I color the rest of the plane it may not look too bad actually!! The top wing is glued on, no screws. The canopy is glued to the hatch, and is held on with Velcro. I'm looking forward to attempting to maiden it tomorrow!

Thanks to everyone who helped me, and thanks again Prop-er for putting this plan out there. My brother came over to watch a football game today and thought it was awesome! He wants a plane built for his birthday! Guess I'll try to build him something easy!!!
Old Oct 01, 2006, 12:09 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,984 Posts
thetriguy - that's going to be 'too much' prop for that motor. You'd be better off dropping down in size... Guys @ the field here actually run this motor on a 6x4 on 3S for speed.

Try a 7" or really be careful with your throttle if you do run the 9" prop.

Good luck...

-mike s.
Old Oct 01, 2006, 12:29 AM
Joined Sep 2006
63 Posts
Mike, thanks for the info! I'll see if I can find a smaller prop. I think I have something a little smaller. Currently, I am flying this motor on my P51 of similar weight am using a 9/6 on this same motor and it works great! Of course, it's a warbird and is made to fly a little differently. Actually, you can see it at ddaywarbirds.com. This is my friend's site. I'm flying the same P51. It's a nice flying plane. I'll try a 7" prop first if I have one. I like to experiment. I just bought a watt meter and have enjoyed playing with different combinations! My problem is I don't know what is "too much" power!!! I thought as long as I didn't go over the amperage of the motor and ESC I was OK! I'm new at this though, so don't know a whole lot!!! I guess more than triple thrust to weight ratio is a lot!!!! :-)

Mark
Old Oct 01, 2006, 05:35 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
Allright, allright, I've had enough about nose problems....I will publish some new plans monday!
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Oct 01, 2006, 05:39 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,984 Posts
thetriguy - you're right... As long as you don't over-amp the motor, then you should be OK. However, an 8" prop on the '21' motor generally calls for an amp draw in the realm of 13 amps. I figured that a 9" was really gonna cook it. What are your amps w/ the 9"?

-mike s.
Old Oct 01, 2006, 08:33 AM
South Coast, UK
Joined Jun 2006
912 Posts
Prop-er,

Maybe stretch the nose about 20mm as well? Will make getting the CG a little easier.
Still blowing 25+mph here. Kites are fun but I want to fly my new DDD!
Old Oct 01, 2006, 08:58 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Thanks for the great work, Prop-er!

Either square or even Octogon firewall would be fine with me!

Don't forget to open up the center of the former, while you're revising It's hard to get those motor wires through solid foam

Suggestion for builders: Open up a vent hole on the firewall or somewhere on the nose and an exit back in the tail or rear fuse sides, so your battery can get some cooling air.

The way Jerbear did the rear was to just skip the tail cover portion on the bottom. This left a little triangle gap.
Old Oct 01, 2006, 08:44 PM
Joined Sep 2006
63 Posts
I maidened the plane today! It flew like a rocket (I shouldn't have launched it with full throttle I guess). It flew straight as an arrow, and when I went to turn it turned the wrong direction, I corrected it and the top wing broke in half in flight!!! I hot glued it back on, actually it was probably stronger afterwards! Up in the air again, this time with everything corrected! I flew it around the field and back towards me and tried another sharp turn. This time, the other top wing broke in the same place (right against the fuse). More Hot Glue to the rescue! I then tuned it down a little by setting my low rates and it flew BEAUTIFULLY. I had several club members that were watching, and absolutely loved it!! I ended up flying about 10 min or so. I started out with a 9/4 prop, but had to put a 9/6 on after my first crash. I could fly all out, but slowed it down when turning. It is FAST!!!!! I'll have to buy some more 8/4 and some 7" props also. I cannot believe how well this plane glides. Evidently I didn't have the prop saver screwed in all the way, and the prop flew off during flight! The plane was probably close to 75 yards out and glided all the way back. It was BEAUTIFUL. The other members couldn't believe how well it glided!!! I landed it perfectly with no power. It was sooo cool. Anyway, one of the club members that were there retreived my propeller that still had the prop saver and oring attached to it!! When I got home, I buried a carbon rod on the top wing for a little more stiffness. THIS PLANE FLIES GREAT!! If I had not made the rookie mistakes first, it would have been better... but I learned a few good lessons today and still have the plane in one piece!!! Good work Prop-er!! I can't wait to fly it again tomorrow! :-) I may put a smaller motor on (Tower Pro 282215, http://www.rchotdeals.com/Products/r...or/282215.html) This is the same motor that is on Glen's design of the FFF Zero. OH, both members of the club want to borrow my templates and I am sending them a link to this plan. Thanks again!

Mark