HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2006, 05:34 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
Thanks for all the compliments! The Groups have become so big, it's easy to miss out on nice threads. I sometimes stumble upon great threads that run for ages...

I'll have to try the inverted parachute, Gene. Should be an easy figure. (important with my limited piloting skills) Thx for the explanation.
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2006, 01:24 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
thanks Gene for the video repost! this thing has power!
you know, in the air it looks like a flying star, pretty cool!
(maybe a nice idea for a christmas foamy ).
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Sep 06, 2006, 06:11 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Yea, Jerbear commented that it looked like a 6 pointed star... Jewish, not Christian, so not Christmas
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Sep 06, 2006, 11:53 PM
In my Blu heaven! near Lincoln NE
Joined Mar 2003
2,000 Posts
Don't forget that the Jewish star is good for every day of the year!

Robert
willin is offline Find More Posts by willin
Old Sep 07, 2006, 04:18 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
stars -irrespective of the number of points- have no religion, so that would not bother me .
but probably the jewish guys will enjoy it on more days of the year *LOL*
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:11 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Jerbear has his about ready to maiden... I personally think he's dragging his feet, scared to try it without me there to blame! I now they were getting together tonight to fly, but I'm now 400 miles south or so...
Old Sep 10, 2006, 10:19 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I can't believe more guys aren't trying this one. It's sooo simple, and a great flyer!

My current favorite for a windy-day plane!
Old Sep 10, 2006, 11:02 PM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
had my maiden .... dorked it in and broke a prop got cg straightened out and switched to propsaver set-up. 2nd flight flew well but .............. quick solder job didn't hold up, lost prop and propsaver
3rd flight .... flies well but neighbors are complaining because it sounds like a slimer plywood firewall mount and hollow nose ..... noisest electric i have ever heard. sorta like a flying kawasaki don't know what i'm gonna do about that !!!!!
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Sep 11, 2006, 01:28 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
Congratulations with your maiden!

It sounds like your prop / propsaver gives you a lot of trouble.
Sound originates from vibrations. Probably from your prop.

Try to eliminate all prop problems by balancing it, and make sure it can't go anywhere but make nice revolutions in front of your firewall...

To all the others, please have a go at this nice little model. It's free, ya know..
Old Sep 11, 2006, 04:11 AM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
Prop-er,

Thanks for sharing this swell design. I downloaded the letter version but the full size PDF (with information) came out blank. I don't know what I did wrong. Is there another source for it?

Gene,

Your video clinched the "sale". I noticed that you have nice clean edges on your foam. Its possible that I would pay a huge amount for the secret. Whatcha think?
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
Old Sep 11, 2006, 05:54 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,132 Posts
Mmm...try again with this link please:

http://www.rcplans.nl
Last edited by Prop-er; Apr 02, 2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2006, 06:53 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Ray. I just cut it with an Xacto, and I did round the LE's with the tip of the hot-glue gun, melting it quickly (one of GPW's tips).

Jer's the one who makes the good looking ones. Mine are always prototypes

The original and the alternative full-sheet plans both came up for me fine.

TIP: If you want to do the hatch on the top, like I did, leave the bottom wing off and mark the fuse inside lines on the top wing before gluing things down. Much easier to find the edges before it's all glued together.

Jer: All that power has to produce a little noise. It can't be as loud as some of the multi-motor DD stuff, can it?
Old Sep 11, 2006, 09:03 AM
indianapolis, indiana
Joined Oct 2002
993 Posts
LOUDER ...... LOUDER !!!!!!!!!
jerbear is offline Find More Posts by jerbear
Old Sep 11, 2006, 08:36 PM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
462 Posts
Ok, right on, and 24-skidoo - I got the full page downloaded and I'm gonna study it and absorb all the wisdom therein.

I thought the hot tip (heh, heh) about the glue gun tip was only to seal the film covering down to prevent it peeling up. But since the last batch of FFF I bought only has the film on one side I figured it was time to strip it off of all my future models and use "naked" FFF from now on.

I have tried toughening the bare FFF with the heat gun and a coat of Future Floor Finish (Hmmm, another FFF. So I had put FFFuture on FFFoam.) Sorry. Anyway the FFFuture stuff is a little heavy but does produce a shiney/tough finish in one step (but dries slow). So it may be useful for some small areas. I use Floral spray exclusively on my FFFoam creations so I may end up using the FFFuture over high abrasion areas, which usually are any place on the airframe that I can scrape along the ground somehow.
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
Old Sep 18, 2006, 06:06 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Spent about 2 hours in 10-12' tall corn this weekend searching for my current favorite plane

This was our club's 21st annual fly-in for Diabetes. We put on a 2 day airshow to raise donations.

One of the events has alw3ays been the glider bash. A 4' Wally-World Chuck glider is fitted with gear and towed up about 500'. Then other planes go after it I decided to try to go after it with the Duplex Delta this year.... After some rather high-G manuevers, I lost control. I believe the battery pack came loose from the velcro and slid to the back of the fuselage. It was all I could do to try bringing it a little closer as the wind was carrying it further out in the corn.

After a couple of hours with 2 of us in the corn, we found my plane and one of the gliders that couldn't make it back upwind to home base. There are still more planes out there! Most of them were found, like the 1/4 scale Stearman! It was a carnage-filled weekend!

Anyway, I thought it went in pretty flat, and expected to find it still sitting on tp of the corn, but it made the ground, and luckily the battery was ejected and disconnected No apparent damage anywhere Once back to the field (~1/2 mile), I plugged in the pack and flew it again!

I was already figuring what, if any, changes I was going to make on the new one!