Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 01, 2006, 05:15 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
No , Seriously (if we can go there for a second) have the top wing like a delta , and the bottom reversed with those cute little forward swept elevons...from the top it would look like a diamond or rhombus ..... anybody remember Ken Willard's Roamin' Rhombus ???
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2006, 06:04 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I knew what you were thinking, and I wonder as well. I bet you'd want to stretch it out some, since the space between the wings is rather short. Something magical is going on with the gap the way it is. With the long spans closer together, I'd think the spacing would need to open up like normal bipe rules.
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Nov 01, 2006, 07:00 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
The Rho would benefit from the swept LE , and the FW elevons.... gotta be some effect there, eh ??? The gap would have to be tested... don't have a clue ... triangular Wing planform , so we use 1/2 root chord as gap ???? I dunno' ????
Old Nov 01, 2006, 07:56 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I'd guess 1/2 chord, that would be average... The other benni's may be worthwhile???
Old Nov 01, 2006, 08:07 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Maiden Report

Couldn't be happier!

Winds were about 5mph, about 45°f, went for an ROG on the new basketball court at my park, after taxi-ing around a bit to check rudder esponse, etc. Next to impossible to turn up-wind, as one would expect. OK with a head of steam, though. My landing gear sucks for rough grass, so I will study it.

Took off in 10' or so, and seemed amazingly stable. A couple gentle figure 8's and then wrung it out. Flies fine on 1/2 throttle or so, and elevons remain responsive down to about 5mph... Not much need for rudder in the air, but makes for some extra fun (or confusion ). It's a little nose-heavy, so I will work on that. Harriers into the wind were dead easy, but watch out for the tip-over, with the balance at the plan's suggestion. Top speed was about 20-25mph, with no pitch instability. I suspect I can move the cg back a bit at this speed and maintain a reasonable pitch stability. Just enough thrust to climb vertical at about 8-10mph.

All in all, I hit the goal. I need to sturdy-up the landing gear a little more. I knew this going in, and have been thinking on it. The legs are just too long for the 2.3mm fiberglass rods. I already braced a bit with some 1.5mm rods, but it can use some more. It digs in on the grass, due to the rear skid dragging, and the legs spreading. But it's fine on the pavement.

I threw a magnet in the GWS motor or something... I noticed a knock on the last sequence. I'll rip it apart tonight and see,

Thanks, Prop-er!
Old Nov 01, 2006, 10:13 AM
Joined Oct 2005
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop-er

Glen, welcome as a new member to the crazy lunatics design group....
You could move the lower wing back to that notch or more, and lower the top wing gap half the distance and move top wing foward to half the cord of lower wing. If you wanted on that pusher design.

DeepV
DeepV is offline Find More Posts by DeepV
Old Nov 01, 2006, 01:18 PM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,130 Posts
If you wanna try, be my guest. After making plans for three different versions, I've had enough of this great design...Time for something new. Like a pond Racer.

@ Gene,

At your service! It just begs for another video!

Prop-er
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Nov 01, 2006, 07:24 PM
Joined Sep 2006
63 Posts
Gene, glad to hear about your successful maiden, congrats! Prop-er, I removed most of my former and moved my battery forward. I also set my low rates at 55%. Wow what a difference. I think my daughter could fly it now, thanks for the advice. Sure worked better than throwing gravel thru the former hole!!

Mark
thetriguy is offline Find More Posts by thetriguy
Old Nov 02, 2006, 07:37 AM
Launchpad McQuack
Netherlands, Moordrecht
Joined Sep 2004
1,130 Posts
Mark,

Glad it worked. Now, don't fly it straight into the ground, or your Lipo will be catapulted right through the fuse...
Prop-er is offline Find More Posts by Prop-er
Old Nov 02, 2006, 11:24 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
No , Seriously (if we can go there for a second) have the top wing like a delta , and the bottom reversed with those cute little forward swept elevons...from the top it would look like a diamond or rhombus ..... anybody remember Ken Willard's Roamin' Rhombus ???
Funny you should remember. I was just looking these over today.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Nov 02, 2006, 04:33 PM
Joined Sep 2006
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop-er
Mark,

Glad it worked. Now, don't fly it straight into the ground, or your Lipo will be catapulted right through the fuse...
Yeah, that would be bad... the velcro on the fuse side seems to work really good... still not good enough for a straight into the ground flight though. After building the 150%, I'll attempt your pond racer if the plans are ready by then... that plane looks really neat.

Thanks,
Mark
thetriguy is offline Find More Posts by thetriguy
Old Nov 03, 2006, 06:36 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
Bull ... built several of those ... it was my first foamie... didn't trust the Foam , at first (Artcore) , but after flying it , I knew we had a future... Foam and I .... hahahahaha Even gas powered , the foam was great ... (.049 Golden Bee) The plane was a GREAT FLYER , much as all of Ken Willards' stuff ...seems like the DDD with the same treatment (orientation of wings into a rhombus bipe ) would offer further flying advantages ... Perhaps ...????
Old Nov 03, 2006, 09:45 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,564 Posts
I have a bunch of sp400 stuff laying around and was thinking of a rhombus to put it in. I have some foamcore but was thinking fff. I was even toying with the idea of converting the DDD to a sp400 pusher. ...some thinking to do.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Nov 03, 2006, 02:08 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2003
538 Posts
I just dug out Sep 82 RCM & found Ken Willard's "Roamin' Rhombus" article that was mentioned above. Ken says it is an excellent flyer & stable too.
At Ken's 33" WS, I think it would work well as a FFF foamy with the usual wing stiffeners.
Note that the main part of the wing is set at 0 degree incidence but the rear porton is flexed to about minus 3 degrees.
I mention this as anyone attempting the DDD with the reversed wings as pictured in post 194 above may want to consider a little neg. inc. in the lower wing. Or maybe elevon reflex would be sufficient. Just a thought.
boberos is offline Find More Posts by boberos
Old Nov 05, 2006, 06:49 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,105 Posts
The Roamin Rhombus as presented should be perfect for the GB cd size motors of today ...
The DDDRhombus should be interesting , just in a more conventional way than pictured....hahahahaha
What's the Magic thing happening between those wings Gene ???? Like a dragonfly 's wings ...tandem wing effect ..???? Tell us MORE !!!!