HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:57 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
124 Posts
Discussion
1/5th Bikers in New Zealand

Just wanting to see how many people have 1/5th scale bikes in New Zealand?

Looking at starting something at the north harbour r/c track, would need about 5 bikes to get something started.

So yeah if you own a bike and live anywhere in NZ post what area you are in and what kinda bike you have and we'll see if we can get something started

I'll start things off, I live in Auckland and have a TT electric bike
Sean S is offline Find More Posts by Sean S
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2006, 06:45 PM
Chirstchurch NZ
Joined Oct 2004
134 Posts
Hi Sean

Im in Christchurch & i have 2 TT fm1e Bikes (1 is spare parts) & a TT nitro. We dont have any rc tracks big enough down here to race the bikes so a buddy & myself just do a bit off car park bashing. It would be better if there were a few more off us so we could have some proper racing.

Pete.
blackpete1 is offline Find More Posts by blackpete1
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:22 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
124 Posts
Cool, the CRCCC clubs track (see picture) would be big enough, they have had 1/5th scale cars racing successfully on that track. In fact there was a bike there having a bash a couple of weekends ago, havent been able to find out who it was yet though
Old Aug 22, 2006, 05:55 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1 Posts
FM1e

Hi

I have only just started looking at bikes and I want one, is the FM1E a good bike to start off with? how fast do they go? I have watched a few movies and they look like a lot of fun

Whats the turning area like?
junn is offline Find More Posts by junn
Old Aug 22, 2006, 06:29 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
124 Posts
Hi,

The FM1E is a great bike to start out with, thats what ive got and i love it. I just have a stock motor in mine and it's pretty quick, hard to say in km/h but i would guess about 30-40 but dont quote me on that.

Not sure if you saw the video of my bike or not but it can turn very sharp as long as you're going slow enough. Maybe within 2-3 foot area you can turn 180 degrees.

Where abouts are you from?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 04:47 PM
Joined Nov 2007
7 Posts
hey im in the process of finding out weather you guys in NZ want your own forum where you can disscuss all things motor bike related and PM let me know.
speedfreak87 is offline Find More Posts by speedfreak87
Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:15 AM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Napier
Joined Apr 2007
203 Posts
Hi Sean

I'm enjoying racing the NF 501 in the UK. Unfortunately won't be home until around September 2009

Mad keen on the bike at the moment, it is taking over from my PHI. I'm still well off the pace of the quick guys - some of the best in the world, but it is starting to make sense. Much more fun racing than bashing.

With a bit of traveling (and warm, waterproof clothes), I could race twice a month over winter.

Cheers
Peter Chang

ps. I'll drive up from Wgtn to race if you get enough by the time I'm home.
Pedro51 is offline Find More Posts by Pedro51
Old Nov 20, 2007, 06:08 AM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,738 Posts
Hey Peter,.. it sounds like you've found the holy grail of RC bike racing over there.. It's fun racing with all the UK guys is'nt it..? You'll learn alot from all of them.. Your there till sept 09 eah, lucky bugger .., and if you don't mind me asking, what keeps you there till then,.. are you working..?? I'd love to do a full season of racing in the UK.. Anyway, have fun over there, I know I would be.. It would be cool to have an intercontinental challange later on down the track if bikes pick more this side of the equator..

Shaun
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old Apr 29, 2012, 12:21 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington City
Joined Apr 2012
8 Posts
hey guys
anyone out there in the land of the long white cloud still knockin round with these bikes? i have been out with my nf electric(ex pedro C) a bit lately. getting some practise in before going back onto the track(the first attempt was a bit brutal haha) i see there is a fair bit of banter across the creek in oz about rc bikes,good to see. will have to stash the bike in a siutcase for the next visit over to oz. would be great to see some more bikes over here. we have two or three here in welly and i hear of a handful of riders/drivers(?) down in christchurch. ruapuna must be a fanstastic circut for any rc let alone bikes.
anyone else wanna chip in feel free
kneedeeppow is offline Find More Posts by kneedeeppow
Last edited by kneedeeppow; Apr 29, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 03:50 AM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Feb 2011
103 Posts
Hi kneedeeppow

Im in Christchurch, we have 3 regular bikes down here, all SB5's, I think they are all superbike spec. There is also a TT nitro but I havent seen it at the track yet.

Myself and Pete are usually at Ruapuna most weekends bashing around. We are hoping to get some racing going down here when the club starts a large scale day,(not sure exactly when that is) I think they are planning 3 or so classes 1/5th &1/7th cars and 1/5th Bikes.

Weve been running on the Ruapuna track for about 15 months now, it was a big upgrade from the netball court we started on. Ruapuna is a great track once you get the bike setup right, although Im still searching for that perfect setup.

The bikes look really good when you get them running side by side especially when you can hold it all together for a few laps of back and forward passing. I cant wait till we have five or six on the track racing.

If your heading to Christchurch at some point, get in touch and ill take you out to the track
rcmotogp is offline Find More Posts by rcmotogp
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
Chirstchurch NZ
Joined Oct 2004
134 Posts
Hi kneedeeppow

Just to add to what Dan said the Ruapuna track is awesome, since we have been going to the track we havent even thought about going back to a car park or the netball courts.
We are really looking forward to having some proper racing there soon , all we need are a few more bikes to make it even better.
So if anyone is interested in having a look at the bikes or want to have a wee go off Dans bike lol or mine they can contact myself or Dan (rcmotogp) here and we will be happy to help. Even if someone is visiting Christchurch bring your bike and we can arrange for a bash at the track.

Cheers
Pete.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 05:50 PM
Joined Feb 2011
103 Posts
Volunteering my bike, well we proved last week how tough they are so no problem but not the new one when it arrives

You keen for 915am this Saturday?

Adam you keen to join us?
Old Apr 30, 2012, 08:46 PM
Chirstchurch NZ
Joined Oct 2004
134 Posts
Yip im keen for sat but would you be able to pick me up if i need you to? Sebastian has football so the missus might need the car. I will know later on in the week.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Feb 2011
103 Posts
yep ill pick you up about 915am, Ive got to drop Merv and Asterix off on the way
Old May 03, 2012, 03:29 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Wellington City
Joined Apr 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmotogp View Post
Hi kneedeeppow

Im in Christchurch, we have 3 regular bikes down here, all SB5's, I think they are all superbike spec. There is also a TT nitro but I havent seen it at the track yet.

Myself and Pete are usually at Ruapuna most weekends bashing around. We are hoping to get some racing going down here when the club starts a large scale day,(not sure exactly when that is) I think they are planning 3 or so classes 1/5th &1/7th cars and 1/5th Bikes.

Weve been running on the Ruapuna track for about 15 months now, it was a big upgrade from the netball court we started on. Ruapuna is a great track once you get the bike setup right, although Im still searching for that perfect setup.

The bikes look really good when you get them running side by side especially when you can hold it all together for a few laps of back and forward passing. I cant wait till we have five or six on the track racing.

If your heading to Christchurch at some point, get in touch and ill take you out to the track
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpete1 View Post
Hi kneedeeppow

Just to add to what Dan said the Ruapuna track is awesome, since we have been going to the track we havent even thought about going back to a car park or the netball courts.
We are really looking forward to having some proper racing there soon , all we need are a few more bikes to make it even better.
So if anyone is interested in having a look at the bikes or want to have a wee go off Dans bike lol or mine they can contact myself or Dan (rcmotogp) here and we will be happy to help. Even if someone is visiting Christchurch bring your bike and we can arrange for a bash at the track.

Cheers
Pete.
hey guys
the vids i have seen of rc cars on ruapuna look sick. i am thinking bout a trip down to the mainland next summer to take in some rc'ing. will definatly be packing the bike. i think i may be able to twist a felow clubmembers arm into joining the fun.
am hoping to the bike out again this weekend on our local track(cmr) . its a tight turny twisty track for 1/5,probably even a 1/8.
kneedeeppow is offline Find More Posts by kneedeeppow