HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:38 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Im building my first self-cut foamie wing

Ive been flying my mini-zagi for about two years now and i love it.
But ive been watching people cut their own wing cores for just as long now, and i really wanted to join in on the fun.

Well i finally found some thick enough EPS foam (none of the home-improvement stores in my area had anything thicker than 3/4") and i got started.

Ive had a bow made for some time now and it works pretty good,
so all i needed to do was make some good templates out of formica and start cutting.

Here is my bow and templates. My bow is a little short. The cutting wire is a G string from a guitar.
Barrett is offline Find More Posts by Barrett
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:42 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
I had to borrow a digital camera to take these pics. Unfortunatly i didnt have it when i did the actual foam cutting, but here are the beds.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:46 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Here is a wing half. It is a slightly modified MH45 airfoil. The salesman at the place where i bought the foam wasnt sure if the foam was 2lb or 1lb, but i think it is 1lb. It is a little softer than the foam behind the EPP leading edge on my Zagi.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:50 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
BTW here is a little detail of the bow i am using. The wire is tightened with a tuning key off of one of those cheapie guitars from Wal-mart, and the clip from my 12v battery charger is just clamped right to the wire.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:52 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Here are both halves together.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 12:58 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Here is pic with the new wing next to 36" span Zagi. The new wing has more sweep and is a little shorter. Its shorter because my bow is short. Ill build a bigger one next time now that i can get it to work. BTW i ruined a few pieces of foam before i got to this point. But i still have enough to make about 7 more just like this. And then i can even use the scraps from that to make smaller wings, maybe for some GWS stuff that ive got laying around.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 01:09 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
I joined the wing halfs with 5 minute epoxy. When i built my Zagi i didnt really use the wing bed to hold the wing halves still, but with this plane i am using them quite a bit. And they are coming in pretty handy.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 01:21 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Here is the joined wing. Notice the wax paper. It easily keeps the epoxy from glueing the wing to the beds. The line across the middle is where my arrow shaft spar is goin to go.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 01:29 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Here is the spar cutout. I cut along a metal ruler with a #11 hobby knife. Then i turned the blade around and used the sqaure side to pick the foam out.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 01:38 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
I used 5 minute epoxy to glue the spar in place. Its a tight fit. And right about here i realized that the center of the wing seems stronger than i thought iti was going to be.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 01:50 PM
columbus, oh, usa
Joined Jun 2001
426 Posts
great thread

this is a great thread keep it up and post tons of pictures.
thanks
matt
buckeyes1997 is offline Find More Posts by buckeyes1997
Old Aug 10, 2002, 01:54 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
If you were at SEFF then you probaly saw the guy that handlaunched his wegie like an inverted disus. It was pretty neat.
I talked with him a little and he mentioned using WBPU and panty hose to add a little strength to the LE of his foam planes. I wanted to strengthen the center of my plane with light glass cloth and WBPU. But i couldnt find anything that was light enough. Then i remembered about the panty hose, and i figured that id give it a try. I got several "looks" as i was standing in the womans department at Wal-mart feeling all of the pantyhose for the "right" pair. I finally settled on LEGS SHEER ENERGY. They semed fairly thick and they had a large white pair. Here is a pic of the center of my wing after about 5 hours of drying.

When the WBPU is first applied it felt a little heavy, but as it dried it seemed to get lighter. I dont know is this really happened or if its just my imagination. Also the panty hose curled under some at the edges, but i just figured that i could trim that part of after it dried.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 02:00 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Here it is after the edges have beent trimmed. I also went over it with some 180 grit sand paper. Its a nice smooth finish.
Old Aug 10, 2002, 02:06 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Here is a shot of some of the equipment i plan to use.

-Jr 241 micro servos
-7 and 8 cell 600ae batt pack
-Great Planes C-20 ESC
-wattage elevon mixer
-s400 with the push on spoon prop
Old Aug 10, 2002, 02:14 PM
SKINNI MINI flyer
Pearl River, LA, USA
Joined Sep 2001
645 Posts
Thanks Matt I plan to keep you guys informed. After all its because of all the stuff that i have learned here at the e-zone that im even able to attempt somthing like this. So i just wanted to contribute some as well.

Here is a top shot with the elevons in place. The elevons are 3/32 balsa.