HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:27 PM
Fenton, Michigan
Joined Jul 2006
91 Posts
Discussion
An Event of Epic Proportions (for me)

Today was a major accomplishment for me. My very first 3 take-offs, hand launches, and my very first 3 fixed wing landings! Kind of sucked that I had no-one to high five when I was done. But, still very cool to get those first flights and landings out of the way. I am flying a 3 meter Stork E (from Esprit, aka Classic Fortune) and this thing is so cool (and thats just flying straight and level). I love the nice quiet sound this thing makes as it flys overhead (I'm used to big gas helicopters). I can't wait to get out to a big field where I can do a little more with it than take-off and land. Definitely got to hook up with some sailplane experts to help me trim it out and improve my landings. This is definitely going to be alot of fun.
Lowaltitudephoto is offline Find More Posts by Lowaltitudephoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2006, 06:04 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Well done. Some of us had our doubts..

I'll give you the same advice I gave Bob:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
Bob, go buy yourself the "Secrets of Thermal Soaring" DVD from radiocarbonart.
http://radiocarbonart.com/Pages/asecthermalmain.html
You might also want to pick up the sailplane Performance Tuning one too..
http://radiocarbonart.com/Pages/perftunemain.html
Call Paul and tell him I sent you to him, perhaps he'll cut you a deal on the two..

They are suitable for advanced and beginner pilots, but there is a TON of good info in there. Be prepared to watch them over and over...
..a
I'm no expert, but I've been flying sailplanes (models and full-scale) for a few years. I learned a good bit from these videos..
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 21, 2006, 06:44 AM
Thermal Junkie
Austin Texas
Joined Dec 2005
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowaltitudephoto
Today was a major accomplishment for me. My very first 3 take-offs, hand launches, and my very first 3 fixed wing landings! .

Yea Ha! Very sweet. Congrats.

Enjoy your palne. And the video's that Andy reccomends are spot on.

Don
truestorys is offline Find More Posts by truestorys