Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:24 PM
Formerly Denver. Now West Bend, WI
Joined Dec 2005
2,061 Posts
Discussion
Benefit of Belt vs. Shaft driven tail for micro

What is the benefit of a belt driven tail vs. a shaft driven tail for a micro heli?

I don't have a belt driven tail heli so I don't know. Is it durability?

I have 2 shaft driven micros. A Maxir and a Esky King. Both shaft driven. Both very smooth(no friction.) Both very light weight.

Why is the belt better?
LuckyDuc is offline Find More Posts by LuckyDuc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:34 PM
Joined May 2005
1,051 Posts
durability.

i recently helped someone fly a trex SE (first heli) for the first time. they caught the tail on the grass hard about 5x in a row. they chopped the back of the CF vertical fin off and chipped up the CF tail blades. the only thing that happened was the belt got untensioned, but retension, and it was ready to fly again. at worst, the belt will snap or lose some teeth w/ a $3 replacement fee for these mistakes.

if he was using a shaft driven heli, im sure gears wouldve been stripped at the least.

ive only snapped a belt once in all the time ive been flying heli (actually the belt snap caused the crash)...last time i will ever use an Align belt....havent snapped one since.

on the upside i know from my early experiences that shaft has a lot less friction than belt. i havent tried a shaft driven tail since i was noob. i ridded that heli because the tail drive kept breaking. at this point in time, i wouldnt mind trying another decent shaft setup since i am more competent.
jh4db536 is offline Find More Posts by jh4db536
Old Aug 20, 2006, 06:37 PM
Chico, CA
Joined Jun 2003
44 Posts
I'd have to say it probably depends on the helicopter and your flying skill. I have a Century Hummingbird 3D Pro. It comes with a shaft drive which works well until you hit something with the tail blades. The crown gear strips very easily. Once changed to a belt drive that problem goes away. I think it is a little smoother with the belt drive but I think current draw is a little higher depending on belt tension. I don't have any other helicopters to compare though. Well, I have a Blade CP but that doesn't count as it has a motor driven, fixed pitch tail rotor.

Chris
ptca is offline Find More Posts by ptca
Old Aug 20, 2006, 09:30 PM
drops screws
Iowa City, IA
Joined Dec 2005
1,178 Posts
Where do you get $3 belts?
billyzelsnack is offline Find More Posts by billyzelsnack
Old Aug 20, 2006, 09:57 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
Gears on not that expensive and I've only once had to replace a gear on my King and that was due to my own stupidity not the fault of the heli. The gear probabaly cost me only $2 cause I got it in a kit of ALL of the gears for the heli.

I've kicked the grass and dumped the tail of my heli in the dirt 100x and I've only once had to replace a gear. I'll need more convincing than that.

People are so jaded since the early shoguns...
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:06 PM
Joined May 2005
1,051 Posts
$3.99
helidirect 400tooth belts
(gotta love that odd-even pricing strategy lol)
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=1127

best belts i have used so far. never had problems with jamming, etc. it survived major crashes and doesnt even get frayed. UNLIKE align belts....my new XL belt failed on maiden flight and caused a minor mishap long time ago. i bought a couple of these because they were cheaper, i never even had to use my extras because i still have the first one in my heli and it's like new even after my two last failed roll attempts.
jh4db536 is offline Find More Posts by jh4db536