HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:52 AM
FLYBOYCJ
Renton WA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
Discussion
Good Video Camera For Aerial Video. Please Help!

Greetings! Iím very interested in doing aerial videos with my rc airplanes. I currently have a wireless system that I record with a VHS tape on the ground and the picture quality just isnít that good. Iíve seen some of these videos on this site and RC Universe and Iím so amazed at how crisp and clear and how good the quality is on some of these aerial videos. Iíd like to do something that is simple but with high quality that records in or on the airplane. Not something that transmits the signal to the ground. Please let me know what might be a good system/camera. Maybe something that records on a memory stick and then I could plug it into my computer and burn it on a DVD to play on the big screen? Please give me your ideas. Thank you for your help!

Chris
FLYBOYCJ is offline Find More Posts by FLYBOYCJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:08 AM
American MoonMan
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Pentax Optio S6 - 640X480 @ 30fps, MPEG 4, uses SD memory cards. Also is PRISM compatible.

Joe
Joe Bennett is offline Find More Posts by Joe Bennett
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:13 AM
FLYBOYCJ
Renton WA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
Joe, that looks like a big camera. Anything else you would recommend? How are these people able to take such quality video on the park flyers? I do fly everything from from big gas ones, to nitro, sailplanes, and park flyers. I would do the video mostly from the gas plane and the nitro and maybe the 2 meter sailplane.

Chris
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:20 AM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Actually, the camera only weighs 4.2 ounces, and that includes the LiPo battery and memory card too. I fly one on my SSV2, and it works quite well in both still and video applications.

Joe
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:20 AM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
Welcome to RCGroups.

The Nikon Coolpix 3700 is one of the best performance/dollar AP camera ever made. Great video and stills. Can be had on eBay for as little as $100.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:28 AM
FLYBOYCJ
Renton WA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
Thanks guys! Do you just mount these cameras on top of your wing for the purpose of CG? Do these cameras have sound on them too?

Chris
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:30 AM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Mounts of various types are available, and most do record sound too, but that is of limited use in flight unless hearing your propulsion system is important.

Joe
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:44 AM
FLYBOYCJ
Renton WA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
Joe, what airplane is the SSV2? Do you have a link to that shows your plane? I'm just curious to see the plane you are using this camera on. Thanks!

Chris
Old Aug 20, 2006, 01:59 AM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
Sure no problem. The SSV2 build thread I did is located HERE and shows full details about the SSV2. Also talks about the Plasma I camera mount (build thread for that located HERE). Feel free to ask more about the builds if you have any other questions.

Joe
Old Aug 20, 2006, 07:14 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
United Kingdom, England, Farnham
Joined Oct 2005
1,331 Posts
You won't go wrong for video with a Pentax Optio S6 or A10.

The S6 is slightly smaller and lighter and fits really well into an Altoids sweet tin which can be made into a mount.

My Aerobird Xtreme lifts either like it's not there.

Here's one of my A10 videos

Note the quality suffers once uploaded to Putfile.

Paul.

P.S. both cams compress video using DivX. This gives 42 mins on a 1gb SD card.
English Electric is offline Find More Posts by English Electric
Old Aug 20, 2006, 07:41 AM
Garland , Texas
Joined Sep 2003
87 Posts
another choice for camera is this. the ATC 1000 is a tubular design
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/475...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

http://media.putfile.com/ATC-100o-on-Mini-Ultra-stick
dalelvn is offline Find More Posts by dalelvn
Old Aug 20, 2006, 04:50 PM
FLYBOYCJ
Renton WA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
Hi Guys,

After doing some research I think I'm going to go with the Joe's recommendation of the Pentax Optio S6 - 640X480 @ 30fps. I like that it has 30 frames per minutes and takes video just as good as camcorder quality. And weighing in at 4.2 oz will allow me to put it on most of my airplanes.

I think I might know the answer to this question but I better put it out. Do you guys think it would be too much drag to mount this camera on top of the wing of a Kadet Senior, a 40 sized Piper Cub, or a Rascal 110 ARF?

I canít thank you guys enough for your input!

Chris
Old Aug 20, 2006, 10:10 PM
American MoonMan
Joined Jul 2003
2,722 Posts
You should be able to mount an S6 on most any aircraft, just have to make a mount that will work for that application. Be sure if using it on a gasser that you route your exaust well away from the camera. Orientating an S6 in most any direction should not cause to much undo drag, I have tried it side facing as well as facing forward with little effect on the performance of my SSV2. Just try to protect the camera in some way as like most of its type, the lense extention does offer a weak spot if not protected a bit. Good luck....

Joe
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:11 AM
FLYBOYCJ
Renton WA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
Got it! Thanks Joe!!! I think you sold me a camera!
Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:04 AM
FLYBOYCJ
Renton WA
Joined Jun 2004
29 Posts
Joe, one more question. If I'm going to use this camera for video only, how big of a memory card should I put in the camera? A 512? Or is a 256 enough?

Chris