Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 08, 2001, 02:15 PM
UK
Joined Jan 2001
466 Posts
Running charger on mains with 'car charger' and 12V lead acid battery?

Hi, I read somewhere that you could use a car charger to run your peak charger off of the mains if you use a 12V battery in parallel.

I just wondered, how does the 12V battery filter out noise as there is a quicker route - ie. straight to your peak charger?

Probably a dumb question, I know, but hopefully someone can put my mind at rest!

Ben C
Ben C is offline Find More Posts by Ben C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2001, 03:22 PM
Ghent, Belgium
Joined May 2000
295 Posts
Ben,

I use this method and found out that the battery (in my case a 12V 9Ah motocycle batt.) acts like a kind of buffer: the input voltage to my charger never rises above 13.8V. Without battery the voltage varies much more and I don't think my charger likes this (false peak detection etc.).

Danny

Danny Van Hoecke is offline Find More Posts by Danny Van Hoecke
Old Jun 08, 2001, 03:30 PM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
The 12v battery is acting as a HUGE capacitor and filters the charger output rather nicely
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Old Jun 08, 2001, 04:10 PM
Joined Apr 2001
284 Posts
The maker of my astroflight 112d specifically state no to hook up directly to a battery charger. Check with your chargers manufacturer; I have heard some can be.
-fish
fisher is offline Find More Posts by fisher
Old Jun 08, 2001, 04:47 PM
crystal lake illinois
Joined Nov 2000
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ben C:
Hi, I read somewhere that you could use a car charger to run your peak charger off of the mains if you use a 12V battery in parallel.

I just wondered, how does the 12V battery filter out noise as there is a quicker route - ie. straight to your peak charger?
Hi Ben:
I would not reccomend running your charger directly off the car charger. Youmget peaks which will damage the charger. OK to charge battery and rujn your Nicad charger from the battery.
Just spent $30 to repair acharger I directly connected to the auto charger.
Sambo
Probably a dumb question, I know, but hopefully someone can put my mind at rest!

Ben C
sambo is offline Find More Posts by sambo
Old Jun 08, 2001, 08:46 PM
What's a Member??
Sydney,Australia
Joined Mar 2000
632 Posts
Yup that's what we do with our Infinity II. Hook up a car battery charger to the big batt and then hook the normal charger to teh 12v batt. Seems to work ok and the input voltage usually doesn't go much over 14v
Alex
Regecide is offline Find More Posts by Regecide
Old Jun 08, 2001, 08:48 PM
What's a Member??
Sydney,Australia
Joined Mar 2000
632 Posts
Yup that's what we do with our Infinity II. Hook up a car battery charger to the big batt and then hook the normal charger to teh 12v batt. Seems to work ok and the input voltage usually doesn't go much over 14v
Alex
Regecide is offline Find More Posts by Regecide
Old Jun 08, 2001, 08:56 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
That's what I do too with my Simprop Intelli Control charger. I use my 12AH field charger battery with a 12/2 amp sears auto battery charger. This way when I'm done pre-charging my batteries at home I can take the field battery with me to the flying field and its always fully charged too, ready to re-charge packs at the field.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald