to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2006, 05:30 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
Well, I like to have something on t.v. while I work. I have some good printed matter. A book with fantastic closeups of the 1/10 scale Yama.
I usually put a CD on
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:20 PM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,840 Posts
To KMOT

Yeah, as I always understood it, they were gonna ram the ship up on the beach and use the big guns to pummel the American forces. Even if they made it, they would've gotten their asses handed to them as soon as one of them took a breath of air. I think they knew that, hence the suicide mission.

BTW- Does anyone know if there has ever been an expedition to the Musashi wreck? Can't find any images online, but I can't believe no one has even tried to locate her. Damn. Talk about no respect. If the Titanic hadn't sunk, no one would ever talk about her!

I guess that's why I am building the Musashi instead of Yamato.

Barrett
greenseaships is offline Find More Posts by greenseaships
Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:50 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,231 Posts
You're going to have to hunt down some of those decorative thumbtacks at the office supply, craft, or woodworking store so you can stick one on the bow

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 23, 2006, 06:54 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,840 Posts
Umi

Yeah, I have a gold paint pen and with a penciled in pattern, I'm gonna have fun!
Old Aug 23, 2006, 07:02 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,494 Posts
I dont think that the Musashi has been located yet. Many of the ships that were lost were not logged with the exact locations due to the manuvering durring the fighting. Bismark was about 5 miles away from where it was thought to be. I dont think the ship traveled 5 miles underwater durring the 2 mile decent. The turrets were found near the wreck meaning that the ship went pretty much straight down. As for the Musashi wreck I would like to see the pics of her. I love WWII ships and also ANY shipwrecks. Does anyone have any good shipwreck links? Especally the Yamato and other WWII ships like the Lexington and Yorktown? Also did they find the Kaga I remember reading about that but I cant remember if they confirmed it as the Kaga.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:22 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,840 Posts
I heard it was confirmed as Kaga. The Yorktown was documented in a Bob Ballard expedition to Midway. Even Ken Marschall did a painting of the wreck. Now if we can just get him to go to Leyte Gulf...

Barrett
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:42 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,840 Posts
Musashi has a nickname!

Well, I worked a little more tonight. Slow going though. Don't usually take this long to get the hull done.

Closed up the bow, and I am pleased with the way that cardboard got bent into shape. I've never done a bow this good with strictly cardboard before. Usually it has to be styrofoam. The area around the bow is still pretty rough. It needs to be trimmed, taped over with acid-free tape and of course fiberglassed.

I am expecting construction to really take off next weekend, Labor Day.

Okay Ghost, you wanted our Yama videos, and here ya go. I took some video which might or might not help convey the overall size of the model. Enjoy! The more interesting videos come when she starts moving by herself.

Also- the Musashi has a nickname now. I call her "The Moose".

Off to bed now. Here are some shots of the Moose and the video. Enjoy!

Barrett
Old Aug 24, 2006, 03:32 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,231 Posts
Well I can't seem to find the tacks that my friend used on his ships.
I know his came right out of an office supply store too.

Here's a furniture tack though...
http://antiquesupply.com/products/TA...-1587-262.html

http://sdtradingco.com/hardware-other4.htm

http://www.createforless.com/product...roductID=21086

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:49 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
I'm not entirely certain the fans of the IJN would be too happy with that ship being nicknamed after a large, ungainly land animal... however, in thinking about it, a Moose can be very fierce if PO'd... and they do get 'lost' from time to time, frequently attacked by flying objects... maybe it is a fitting nickname! LOL!
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:54 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,840 Posts
Actually, there's not that much thought into it. The first 2 syllabyls (sp?) of Musashi sound like Moose.

Barrett
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:39 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,752 Posts
greenseaships said:

"Well, I worked a little more tonight. Slow going though. Don't usually take this long to get the hull done.

Closed up the bow, and I am pleased with the way that cardboard got bent into shape. I've never done a bow this good with strictly cardboard before. Usually it has to be styrofoam. The area around the bow is still pretty rough. It needs to be trimmed, taped over with acid-free tape and of course fiberglassed."

Hi Barrett,

I had been following your building method rather casually, with the thought in my mind that a ship model can't really be waterproofed cardboard and still be
put in the water.

There was the attitude of "show me", so I went into your newly started Musashi thread a little while ago, and surprise! Yup, the guy is actually doing it, and a very neat job, too.

I guess, I'll have to add this to the list of things newly-debunked, that can't be done---.

This is really intrigueing---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Aug 24, 2006, 02:08 PM
Joined Jun 2006
246 Posts
Barrett has 12 (I think) cardboard ships, none have sunk from leakage, only capsizing. My Andrea Doria and CSS Virginia are cardboard, no leakage problems either. Cardboard is actually a really good material to build ships from. My posterboard Titanic is a different story, haha. I'll probably eventually use the 1/100 Titanic as a base for making a fiberglass hull.

The Musashi is looking great, she has a nice hull shape. Cool Corsair on the wall Barrett. Are you interested in WW2 planes also? My dad and I are trading our military/aircorps collection+some money for a Bell P-39 Airacobra project from a museum. They needed to get rid of it to make more room in their storage hanger.

-Ed
olympic class is offline Find More Posts by olympic class
Old Aug 24, 2006, 04:26 PM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
that 1/1 scale is impressive id feel like i wanted to start a war with it
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Aug 24, 2006, 04:28 PM
stoke on trent