HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2006, 01:14 AM
Registered Airplane Offender
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,767 Posts
Discussion
MUSASHI- Birth of another cardboard Titan

As anticipated, I got a jump on the keel laying today for the newest Greensea Ship, the 8-foot 3-inch R.C.S. MUSASHI!

Musashi will be my greatest warship yet, not to be surpassed until perhaps I build that 9-10 foot Nimitz-class carrier in the next couple of years.

I will use this thread to update my construction in the coming weeks. Also see my website for updates beginning tommorrow.

For now, here are the tender first images of the giant with terrible resolve.

Barrett Hochhaus
diamondback78@hotmail.com
http://greenseaships.blogspot.com
greenseaships is online now Find More Posts by greenseaships
Last edited by greenseaships; Aug 19, 2006 at 01:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:29 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
a tender start it may be, but looking at this, she is going to be a beast. will you be running 1 or 4 screws in her?
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Aug 19, 2006, 09:31 AM
Joined Jun 2006
246 Posts
Awesome! Is that bigger than the QM2?
olympic class is offline Find More Posts by olympic class
Old Aug 19, 2006, 09:33 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
olympic, i may be wrong but it may well be a good 12" longer.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:51 PM
Joined Jun 2006
246 Posts
Barrett,
Here is the new forum request section, if you want to have the Yamato class forum here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=185

I saw the update on your site, the Amos Hathaway looks great. I cant find any pictures of the real ship tough. You have a nice shop, my dad used to restore antique picture frames. I plan on setting a ship building area in the garage or basement before I start my Yamato. I usually build them in the family room, haha.

-Ed
Last edited by olympic class; Aug 19, 2006 at 10:58 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:42 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,767 Posts
Ghost and Ed

Thanks for the encouragement! I will be running only 1 motor and shaft in her because waterline models don't need that much power. In fact, the Queen Mary (1) only has 1 motor and she is much heavier than the Musashi will be.

I see references from you guys to the QM2. Are you referring to the old model from 2004 on my website, or the QM1 I recently completed. The QM2 was about 6 inches shorter than the Musashi will be.

The QM1 which I just built is 3 inches LONGER than the Musashi. BUT, the Musashi is 2-3 inches wider than the Mary.

The great thing about the Musashi is that because of her extreme width and her very low main deck, she will be EXTREMELY difficult to capsize in a wind. She's gonna be my windy day boat.

Re: the Hathaway. She is a FICTIONAL ship. I never mentioned that. She was named after the commander of the USS Hermann destroyer during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Backed up against a huge Japanese cruiser (might have been a battleship), he charged full speed into it, fired all his guns at it, and got away!!!! Because the Hermann was so small and low to the water, the Japs couldn't get any hits! In a battle which saw the destruction of many destroyers, he captained one of the few which survived.

Reguarding the forum, let me think about it. I might leave that up to you while I work on the website. I want to get a little more done before I go into that end of it. Maybe after the weekend.

Ghost- When I do the website, I wanna put a map of the world with a dot for every Yamato. Okay if I put one for Trent? And some pics of yours? They can be updated later. This is supposed to be a often-updated website with current info. Also, do you think I could get steve ciambrone (the guy in your Dock Talk thread) in on this? I PMed him, but no response.

Well, I'm going back to work. Look for more pics by tommorrow!

Barrett
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:51 PM
Joined Jun 2006
246 Posts
I thought that might be the case with the Hathaway. Cool story about him. I will get the forum made if you want. I like the Yamato map idea. You could also put the current locations of the real ships on it. I saw pictures of a full size Yamoto replica for a movie, also a 1/10 scale model. I'll post them when I find them again, it was SWEET!

By the way, do you still have the Kamloops? I thought I saw pictures of her sinking, but also saw her in newer pictures of your Zuiderdam, so I was wondering.

-Ed
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:17 AM
Joined Jun 2006
246 Posts
Here is the full scale replica. http://www.oshipee.com/omami/e-photo...omovie-set.htm

1/10 scale replica- http://apike.ca/japan_kure_yamato-ga...o-museum1.html
Old Aug 20, 2006, 03:36 AM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,767 Posts
Kamloops

Yeah, the Kamloops is currently the subject of a massive reconstruction effort. So massive that her entire hull has been replaced. Exactly the same size as the original. In fact, the only pieces of the original to remain are the wheelhouse, and several small deck fittings. She is also going from a single-channel to reversible motor arrangement.

Barrett
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:33 AM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
...Ghost- When I do the website, I wanna put a map of the world with a dot for every Yamato. Okay if I put one for Trent? And some pics of yours? They can be updated later. This is supposed to be a often-updated website with current info. Also, do you think I could get steve ciambrone (the guy in your Dock Talk thread) in on this? I PMed him, but no response....

Barrett
not a problem oh btw, its Stoke on Trent, be great to have the yamato going world wide she will be on public display on the august bank holiday
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:39 PM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
greensea, yamato vid file is on the forum

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...hmentid=957264
Old Aug 20, 2006, 07:58 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,767 Posts
Holy cow!

WOW! That's the first vid I have seen online of a Yama in action! I am suitably impressed!

Sorry I have to ask, but how long is your Yama. Scale is not my best suit. I work on a 102 inches for a Queen Mary= 1inch to 10 feet scale.

I take it that's your Yama in the vid. Fantastic! Even mine will not have r/c turrets!

Barrett
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:25 PM
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
Thanks greensea, the model is a 1/200th scale model, roughly 62" long.

in other terms, she sits across the passenger seat of my car, (Rover 416 - basically a 1996 honda civic re-badged), sitting on the seat, bow against one door, her stern has 1/4" of an inch between it and the other door.

as regards the video i filmes two lots, that one was the better of the two.

c'mon guys video YOUR Yamato / Musahsi ships
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:00 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,767 Posts
vids

Okay, I promise to video my Musashi, but right now it wouldn't be any more interesting than the pics. Just sorta sits there....

Also- I have her fixed dimensions now

Length- 99 inches

Width- 14.5 inches

Barrett
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:28 PM
Scottsdale, Arizona
Joined Jun 2006
4,767 Posts
More pics

These are the latest pics of the hull construction. The Musashi is becoming a marvel of cardboard construction. Check out the way I curved the bow. By the time the hull is fiberglassed and sanded, it will look exactly like the real bow. What makes me particularly proud is the fact that NO STYROFOAM was used to make the bow. It's all paper materials! Traditional Green Sea Shipbuilding!

The ribs you see in the bow are made of matboard for picture frames. I measured them purely by guessing and changing the next one slightly from the last. I had no pattern, I just felt my way through it! Then copied for the other side.

I am really pleased with how she is looking like her namesake.

Anyway, enjoy the pics for now!

Barrett