HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:48 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Kalispell, in the Rocky Mountains
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone F-27C Stryker

I have visited many threads on the F-27 Strykers (including the "F-27B"). Many people say it is a difficult airplane to learn on because of the elevons. Yet on the other hand I read that is was an excelent airplane to learn on because it could easly be put back togeather with some foam safe CA. Now they are coming out with the F-27C, whitch has a 1880Kv brushless motor and such for $250. My queston is at a lower speed would such a plane as the stryker handle well, and be easy to learn on from your experances. I know that no plane could survive a crash at the 80+Mph capabilitys of this new craft, so it would be best to keep it slower. Thankyou for your help
That can fly?!? is offline Find More Posts by That can fly?!?
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:14 PM
Fly
Alamogordo, New Mexico, United States
Joined Apr 2002
694 Posts
The stryker handles well at lower speeds IF you've been flying for awhile and know what you're doing BUT I wouldn't suggest you get this Plane to learn on.
darenm is offline Find More Posts by darenm
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:20 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darenm
The stryker handles well at lower speeds IF you've been flying for awhile and know what you're doing BUT I wouldn't suggest you get this Plane to learn on.

I had a bad experance with a 3ch airplane about a year ago. I liked the small 2ch airplanes, fun easy, you know. Then I bought a blade cx, flew it got boared, got a cp, flew it a few times, now it wont fly . So I do not want to go back to the Elevator, and rudder combo. I would rather try my hand in elevon controll, if the stryker isent good to lear elervons on, what would be a good flying wing to learn on
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:34 PM
Fly
Joined Apr 2002
694 Posts
I would suggest a Skyscooter or Spacescooter. I know they're not wings, but you need another step up before you tempt wings. There's a ton of info and video on these planes here. Do a quick search. You can hit the ground with it pretty hard and get a little damage. Just a bent nose or so.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:43 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
I would suggest a Skyscooter or Spacescooter. I know they're not wings, but you need another step up before you tempt wings. There's a ton of info and video on these planes here. Do a quick search. You can hit the ground with it pretty hard and get a little damage. Just a bent nose or so.
The only thing is they do not have any throttle controll, and that is key to learning how to fly, balancing the throttle
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:58 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
The Space Scooter has throttle control.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:10 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
I will think about it, still would rather get a stryker, i dont have a very high income to buy 2 planes befor winter
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:47 PM
Extreme Hoverer
Omaha, Ne.
Joined Jun 2006
308 Posts
I started out on a stryker,went through a few bodies but now fly it quite well and have a buddy box setup and help other learn and I only started 2 months ago
wo23dodge is offline Find More Posts by wo23dodge
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:24 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Any flight tips?
Old Aug 18, 2006, 09:35 PM
gilford, new hampshire, usa
Joined Nov 2003
825 Posts
Wanna learn elevons??? Get some foam and build a jerbear simple wing!
nebuchadnezzar is offline Find More Posts by nebuchadnezzar
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:09 PM
Fly
Joined Apr 2002
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by That can fly?!?
Any flight tips?
Just don't do this:
Stryker 27 crash (1 min 2 sec)
Old Aug 18, 2006, 10:24 PM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
Quote:
ROTFLOL!
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:03 PM
Guelph, Ontario Canada
Joined Sep 2004
653 Posts
My first "real plane" was a RTF Stryker. My first flight lasted about 5 seconds before I had a pile of foam. I fixed the damage, my 2nd flight was maybe 7 seconds....same result.

I then put the stryker aside and purchase a SuperFly-E. It was a kit which was a good experience.....if I can build it....I can fix it.

The SuperFly is also an elevon plane and it was perfect for me. It was still more advanced than my skills but it was much more durable than the stryker and flew slower than the stryker. After flying the SuperFly for a few months I took the stryker out again and had a ball.

I've been flying for over two years now and no longer crash (at least not every time I go out). I still have that original superfly and still fly it. In comparison, I'm on my 4th stryker fuse.

If you're looking for a durable elevon plane to learn on I'd recommend the SuperFly-E.

Leon.
LLoo is online now Find More Posts by LLoo
Old Aug 19, 2006, 03:36 AM
My first Build
Vancouver WA
Joined Jul 2006
973 Posts
I learned on a 27B. It wasn't that hard to fly. Much easier in fact than the Commander 2 sitting in the garage. Use the FMS free simulator and check it out. The B model is underpowered compared to the sim but the C is another story. I've already put a 2000 kv motor and lipos on my B. HOOT!

Have fun,
Ralph
radralph is offline Find More Posts by radralph
Old Aug 19, 2006, 04:00 PM
Live, Die, FLY
Joined Jul 2006
497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radralph
I learned on a 27B. It wasn't that hard to fly. Much easier in fact than the Commander 2 sitting in the garage. Use the FMS free simulator and check it out. The B model is underpowered compared to the sim but the C is another story. I've already put a 2000 kv motor and lipos on my B. HOOT!

Have fun,
Ralph
It came with a simulator or did you download one?

-Dustin