SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2007, 05:29 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,514 Posts
Flight Report - All electrics in the front

After playing around with motor prop batt combos I settled on A20 54S with 8x3.8 on 350 or 400 3S pack. Heavier then I wanted at 225gm but CG is on the spar in top wing with no ballast. With this arrangement there is no problems with pitch sensitivity, inverted needs a bit of down elevator for level flight. Just need to watch battery temp with it being inside the fuse with not much airflow. Can hardly feel any temp rise in the motor.
Coupling in KE however is significant, with rudder alone it has quite a reasonable roll rate. If I pushed the CG back a bit it might help here and I'll try that later.
Geoff2005 is offline Find More Posts by Geoff2005
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2007, 06:21 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
It is definately a balancing act...the pitch sensitivity just got worse when I had a rearward CG....felt like a roller coaster ride.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Jun 05, 2007, 03:01 PM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
I just recieved mine and was wondering if any of you out there are flying yours after 4 or 5 months. If so are there any updates on mods that havnt been posted? I have read throught this thread and got lots of good info. I was thinking about a pull/pull system for the tail feathers to keep the tail weight down.
Cheers!
Fred
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Jun 05, 2007, 05:16 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,340 Posts
I've had one flying for a few weeks now and love it. Built stock except replacing the carbon with music wire,which i tried on the flat outs and it works much better and easier to deal with. I used a Hacker a20-34s with apc 8x3.8 sf, bl-8 esc, two gws picos servos and one hs-50 on ails. Used 3 different batteries and all fly it fine with plenty of power,tanic 470,tanic 780, and tp 1320,of course the 1320 is heaviest but it still flys pretty well with the added weight.It builds quick and is just a great lil bipe. Bought on impulse and sure glad I did.
MustangAce17 is online now Find More Posts by MustangAce17
Last edited by MustangAce17; Jun 05, 2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2007, 06:27 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Still flying mine. The center cabane cracked after the prop slipped and it fell out of a hover. I stripped the entire plane and sanded it down and added some lightening holes particularly in the rear as the covering I was going to use to recover was going to be a bit heavier than stock. The weight is pretty much the same after the rebuild. I did add some very thing (1/16 or less diameter) CG rod to each wing strut to give a bit more durability in case of an accident. This was done during the rebuild so I just glued it to the strut and covered over it but I am sure it could just be CA'ed to the strut during the build. The wheel pants and canopy are actually pretty heavy so you may omit one or the other if you want it as light as possible. The only bad thing is the plane needs the weight of the pants I think as the stock CG is too far back IMO. I have been flying with a little screamer De Novo and a 3S 460 pack and it has plenty of power. Scrimp for every bit of weight savings you can and I think you will like it....it is a quirky flyer though.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Jun 06, 2007, 04:36 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,514 Posts
Haven't flown mine much lately, tried it at the local indoor meet but it felt a bit quick inside. Planning to remove wheel pants as they just rotate around axle and cause dig in every landing. Overall mine feels more at home flying fairly quickly and doing pattern rather then slow high alpha stuff.
Geoff2005 is offline Find More Posts by Geoff2005
Old Jun 06, 2007, 07:40 AM
Joined Feb 2007
101 Posts
I just finished mine. I wondered about the wheel pants catching on grass -- I assumed it would be a problem. I used epoxy to "seal" the wheel pants onto the axle... I've only flown off of a paved runway... I'll try grass within the next few days...As I was building it, I practiced a ton on my simulator --- "Flight Pack #3", which is just out, has the Riot 3D as a plane --- so, it's great to get a lot of simulator practice time with your actual plane....

anyone else have Flight Pack #3??????
mycoun is offline Find More Posts by mycoun
Old Jun 06, 2007, 10:06 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Thanks guys,
Ive been wanting the Riot for quite a while.The flight pack #3 is the only one I dont have. The Realflight G3.5 has really helped me with learning to use cordinated rudder control. How dose the sim. compare to the actual Riot model? The information in this thread is wonderful.Right now Im waiting for my air born pack to come in the mail. My plan is to mount the tail feather servos close to the front, inside the fues. with a pull/pull cable system. Looks like there is ample room. I havnt picked a battery size yet ( I am running the recomended Rimfire motor -w/8X3.8 prop for starters). I'll try to post a few pics of the mods when I get the camera software in this computer.
Thanks again,
Fred
Old Jun 07, 2007, 07:32 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,340 Posts
this is from last weekends eflyin in Morriston, Fl
Old Jun 08, 2007, 12:49 PM
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
MustangAce17,
Nice shot! Im still waiting on the airborn stuff. That picture is inspireing. I've been finishing up on a Mini Flash till my goods are delivered. Im still thinking about the mods I want to do. The stock set up with music wire sounds pretty good too.
Cheers!
Fred
Old Jun 08, 2007, 12:57 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,340 Posts
Thanks Fred, I gotta add some CA to the wing due to a bump the other day when the wind picked up and threw me into the runway,but I was only 5 feet above it.I'll try to get some video as soon as I can get the right prop since my lhs is out of 8.3x8's
Old Jun 08, 2007, 01:02 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,671 Posts
Still flying mine, too. Built per plans, and for once I used the recommended gear. No problems at all, but as others mentioned, it is a balancing act when you play with the CG...I still can't knife edge it, have some more mixing I want to try but haven't yet.

It always goes to the field with me, though..its just so much fun to fly. Never fails to put a grin on my face!

Tim
AG4RZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrated
I just recieved mine and was wondering if any of you out there are flying yours after 4 or 5 months. If so are there any updates on mods that havnt been posted? I have read throught this thread and got lots of good info. I was thinking about a pull/pull system for the tail feathers to keep the tail weight down.
Cheers!
Fred
IFLYOS is offline Find More Posts by IFLYOS
Old Jun 08, 2007, 10:23 PM
EDF Addicted
Ocala,Florida
Joined Sep 2005
5,340 Posts
Well the props were in so i grabbed a few threw one on and managed to get a video,will be posted soon.
Old Jun 09, 2007, 01:26 AM
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Cool, Bring it on. Sounds like I made the right choice. My gear should be here today I hope.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 08:43 AM
Joined Feb 2007
101 Posts
My Two Cents Worth

I flew mine for the first time a couple days ago. I think it flies identical to the simulator (Flight Pack #3). I've flown the Riot 3D on the simulator for about two weeks --- daily since the first day I got Flight Pack #3 (this flight pack just came out).

I built mine exactly as the planes called for...

Twice I landed in the grass and the plane flipped over --- no damamge whatsoever... Landings were fine on pavement...

From the pictures (about couple posts above this one) I see better landing gear...

I don't really like the pastic "stock" gear and the wheel pants catch on the grass...

I'm thinking about adding the bigger, softer wheels (like in the picture above) and getting rid of the wheel pants....
mycoun is offline Find More Posts by mycoun